Posted to uk.d-i-y
CampinGazz

Default skirting board rads

i've got the central heating up and running in my motorhome, but the
eberspacher is going into standby mode a bit too often for my liking, i.e.
it's putting out more heat on low than my system takes out.

so i want to add one more rad to the system, but i dont have any more wall
space that i can run pipes to for another wall mounted rad.

I do have a space at the base of one of the sofa's where i could mount a low
rad, and was thinking of something like a plinth/skirting board radiator,

thing it, my dog lies there occasionaly, and the rads on this system get to
85 degrees C, so i dont want her lying against a normal rad.

Are there skirting board rads available that have a cover on them so they
put out a fair bit of heat, but are not so hot to touch the front panel?

And what other names do these types of rads go under, as googling for
skirting board radiators only brings up one site that sells them, any links
to sites that sell them will be handy, i am running 15mm speed fit pipes on
my system, and the only ones i've seen use 22mm pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"CampinGazz" writes:
so i want to add one more rad to the system, but i dont have any more wall
space that i can run pipes to for another wall mounted rad.

I do have a space at the base of one of the sofa's where i could mount a low
rad, and was thinking of something like a plinth/skirting board radiator,

You may find it doesn't give off enough heat to solve your problem.
I looked at using one in my hallway, but even with all available
wall space used, it didn't add up to a small radiator's output.

My parent's have a very effective 20' one heating their living room,
but it's bigger than the ones you see today -- it's cast iron, made
by Cannon, and my dad fitted it 50 years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"CampinGazz" wrote in message

snip

Are there skirting board rads available that have a cover on them so they
put out a fair bit of heat, but are not so hot to touch the front panel?

The 'skirting board' rads that I have (Myson) have an enemaled front plate
that is in contact with the 'cooling' fins of the 22 mm pipe. The front
plate doesn't get eny hotter than the circulating water temperature. The
rads are surmounted by a one-inch thick wide mdf(?) 'shelf'.

And what other names do these types of rads go under, as googling for
skirting board radiators only brings up one site that sells them, any
links to sites that sell them will be handy, i am running 15mm speed fit
pipes on my system, and the only ones i've seen use 22mm pipes.

AFAIK; the heat-dumping 'rads' consist of a 22 mm copper pipe which passes
through (or onto which is mounted) a sequence of Aluminium fins. It's the
fins/air interface that transfers the heat to the room. To connect separate
sections of 22 mm pipe and/or make connections to the CH circuit , I used
22-22; 22-15; and 22-10-15 plumbing bits as appropriate for that item.

--

Brian