Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Shower tiling

Any pro tilers out there?
When I last tiled a shower I used a flat bed of adhesive (as advised
somewhere), rather than the usual rippled bed, but it was a real pain to
get the tiles flat - is it really necessary?
I'm about to tile the bathroom and would prefer to make life a little
easier.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave wrote:
Any pro tilers out there?
When I last tiled a shower I used a flat bed of adhesive (as advised
somewhere), rather than the usual rippled bed, but it was a real pain
to get the tiles flat - is it really necessary?
I'm about to tile the bathroom and would prefer to make life a little
easier.

Dave

(as advised somewhere), here's a gun shoot him...hands Dave the gun.

The reason for the ripple is so you have enough adhesive to play about with
to get it level and any bumps in the wall will counteract with parts of the
wall thats not bumpy.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TILING_WALL.htm
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:22:27 +0000 (UTC), Dave wrote:

When I last tiled a shower I used a flat bed of adhesive (as advised
somewhere), rather than the usual rippled bed

What possible improvement could a flat bed make? If water gets behind
the tiles, you are ****ed anyway.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:22:27 +0000 (UTC), Dave wrote:

When I last tiled a shower I used a flat bed of adhesive (as advised
somewhere), rather than the usual rippled bed

What possible improvement could a flat bed make? If water gets behind
the tiles, you are ****ed anyway.

I think the idea is that the adhesive forms a waterproof barrier.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Dave" wrote in message
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:22:27 +0000 (UTC), Dave wrote:

When I last tiled a shower I used a flat bed of adhesive (as advised
somewhere), rather than the usual rippled bed

What possible improvement could a flat bed make? If water gets behind
the tiles, you are ****ed anyway.

I think the idea is that the adhesive forms a waterproof barrier.

'Normal' tile adhesive will not form a waterproof barrier. That's what the
grout and silicon is for. If water leaks behind the tiles they will
eventually fall off!

HTH

John

Tiling behind Bar shower. Davao UK diy 1 December 1st 05 02:16 PM
Cracked tiling around shower control stevew49 UK diy 4 June 14th 05 03:34 PM
Tiling in shower [email protected] UK diy 7 March 11th 05 09:48 AM
tiling shower william UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 11:06 PM
Tiling a shower, how to transition from backer board (durock) to drywall Rich Home Repair 3 August 28th 03 12:29 AM