Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

Default Network Box for monitoring electical circuits

Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Michael Chare wrote:

Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

Most of the "smart" UPSes can monitor mains voltage, and have the added
benefit of keeping your PC going even when it reaches zero volts :-)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Michael Chare wrote:

Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

One of the better APC SmartUPS boxes will do what you want. The cheaper
ones have USB rather than Ethernet (although many come with software to
allow the control and status information to be passed over a LAN as well).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , John
Rumm writes
Michael Chare wrote:

Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my

computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

One of the better APC SmartUPS boxes will do what you want. The cheaper
ones have USB rather than Ethernet (although many come with software to
allow the control and status information to be passed over a LAN as well).

I think that the original poster wanted something that would monitor
voltages in his heating system which a simple UPS won't do all that
well..

Have a look at

http://www.moxa.com

they do devices similar like COM port to IP converters could have sworn
that I saw something like this around a while ago also look at

http://www.barix.com

they do some sort of remote data stuff....and

http://www.s-connect.ltd.uk/

almost certain one of those has what you want but don't expect it to be
cheap tho!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Zoinks

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

Depends how far you want to go, but you could try these guys:-
http://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/aqu...quisition.html

-----------
Zoinks !
Another weekend b*ggered.
-----------

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

tony sayer wrote:

I think that the original poster wanted something that would monitor
voltages in his heating system which a simple UPS won't do all that
well..

If voltage is what he is interested in, then they actually keep detailed
logs... he may also find it cheaper than dedicated lan aware A to D kit.

Have a look at

http://www.moxa.com

they do devices similar like COM port to IP converters could have sworn
that I saw something like this around a while ago also look at

http://www.barix.com

they do some sort of remote data stuff....and

http://www.s-connect.ltd.uk/

almost certain one of those has what you want but don't expect it to be
cheap tho!....

At that sort of level you could even go as far as embedded PC solutions
with a PCI A to D card...!

As you say, it depends on how much you want to pay.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Daniel James

In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port
(and IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to
use my computer to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of
my central heating system)?

You are sticking your toe into very deep water ... Google for "home
automation" and you'll find more "little boxes" than you could probably ever
wish for.

X10 is another relevant search term.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Daniel James wrote:

X10 is another relevant search term.

I thought X10 did controlling rather than monitoring?
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:09:50 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Daniel James wrote:

X10 is another relevant search term.

I thought X10 did controlling rather than monitoring?

It does. This is just an easy way to locate home automation
references.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , John
Rumm writes
tony sayer wrote:

I think that the original poster wanted something that would monitor
voltages in his heating system which a simple UPS won't do all that
well..

If voltage is what he is interested in, then they actually keep detailed
logs... he may also find it cheaper than dedicated lan aware A to D kit.

Well he did say voltages within his heating system, so that implies more
than one voltage and not necessarily just the supply voltage

pedant mode =0
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , John
Rumm writes
Michael Chare wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

Yes those are the sort of thing that I am looking for :-)

I am planing to provide a zone valve control box for my replacement C/H boiler.
Looks like it will be worth extending my home cat 5e cabling as part of the job.

http://www.s-connect.ltd.uk/

almost certain one of those has what you want but don't expect it to be
cheap tho!....

:-(
I bought a Linksys 'slug' for my Topfield PVR for £57. Amazing what you can get
for your money nowadays - Even from Cisco who have a car park full of Porches.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:12:12 -0000, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

http://www.s-connect.ltd.uk/

almost certain one of those has what you want but don't expect it to be
cheap tho!....

:-(
I bought a Linksys 'slug' for my Topfield PVR for £57. Amazing what you can get
for your money nowadays - Even from Cisco who have a car park full of Porches.

Not so much any more, they don't ;-)

--

..andy

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:12:12 -0000, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

:-(
I bought a Linksys 'slug' for my Topfield PVR for £57. Amazing what you can get
for your money nowadays - Even from Cisco who have a car park full of Porches.

Not so much any more, they don't ;-)

Their Tasman Drive office car park (San Jose) went very distinctly
empty after the dot com bust, and I've not noticed it full ever since,
although it's probably just over a year since I last went past.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

Yes those are the sort of thing that I am looking for :-)

I am planing to provide a zone valve control box for my replacement C/H
boiler.
Looks like it will be worth extending my home cat 5e cabling as part of
the job.

Its much easier to just use some timer/thermostat units in the places you
want to control, end switches on the zone valves and wire OR them to boiler
on.
Use a 12v relay for boiler on if it needs mains and you can wire it all the
rest yourself, legally.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:33:16 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

Yes those are the sort of thing that I am looking for :-)

I am planing to provide a zone valve control box for my replacement C/H
boiler.
Looks like it will be worth extending my home cat 5e cabling as part of
the job.

Its much easier to just use some timer/thermostat units in the places you
want to control, end switches on the zone valves and wire OR them to boiler
on.

Yes, but not half as interesting.

Use a 12v relay for boiler on if it needs mains and you can wire it all the
rest yourself, legally.

You can wire it all legally anyway, mains or no mains.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and
IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer
to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating
system)?

From http://www.cpc.co.uk
Description Order Code price (ex. VAT) each
NETIOM Card CS11740 £60.54
LED Module CS07632 £9.67
Relay Module CS07633 £17.81
Null Modem Cable CS00179 £1.71

NETIOM Input/Output Module
NETIOM is a stand-alone, network aware input/output card which can be
controlled over most networks including an 'always on' Internet
connection. It can act as an HTTP server with up to 32K of webspace,
generate e-mails in resonse to specific events and act as a client to a
remote server. An ideal product to integrate into home automation,
local/remote process control, environmental control, security monitoring
and machine monitoring and control.

16 Digital (TTL/CMOS/Dry contacts) and 4 analogue (10bit resolution,
max. 5 volts) inputs

16 Digital outputs (open collector 50V dc50mA)@BR
The outputs can be connected via headers to either the LED module
(provides indication of outout on 8 LEDs) or the Relay module (provides
8x SPCO relays)

RJ45 connection to network (10MIPS)

9 Way male D Serial port (2400 to 38400 baud - handshaking not
supported) (Null modem cable required for programming)

Watchdog mode allows NETIOM to monitor network connections and operate
outputs when failure is detected

Automatic detection of IP address (DHCP)

Web space can be password protected

All inputs/outputs via screw connectors
Contents: Card, driver and user guide software

HTH!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Adrian C
writes

From http://www.cpc.co.uk
[...]

That looks like a very useful piece of kit. Anyone ever used one and can
tell us how they got on with it before I order one;-)

--
Tony Sayer