Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard

Default Domestic sliding fire door?

I'm in the process of buying a new house that has two bedrooms in the
roof space. Due to the roof incline and the location of the stairs it
is not possible to fit a standard size door normal to the run of the
roof without taking the top corner off one side of the door (which
apparently wouldn't go down well with the builders federation). To over
come this problem, in the design plans the rooms have been reduced in
size by effectively taking a corner out of the room such that a door
can be fitted parallel to the roof line.
To keep the rooms rectangular shaped I was hoping that instead of
fitting hinged doors I could use sliding doors (albeit with the top
corner removed) such that when open would be hidden in the wall cavity.
Although this probably seems a bit ridiculous (having the corner of
doors removed), from experience in my present house having the corner
of the room removed is far more inconvenient as far as positioning of
the bed etc is concerned.

To meet fire regulation I believe I must have a fire resistant door on
each of these rooms, as there isn't a fire door at the top or bottom of
the stairs. So my question is, is it possible to obtain a sliding door
system that meets the FD20 fire standard, or better still does anybody
have any better ideas on how I could avoid reducing the size of the
rooms and still meet the fire regulations.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard

I'm afraid that if I move the stairs over the required 250mm to be able
to fit a full door there is insufficient headroom at the top of the
stairs to meet building regulations (even it were considered to be a
loft conversion rather than a new build).
And unfortunately the stair angle is already at the maximum 42 degrees
allowed. I suppose I should explain, when I say the 'run of the house'
I actual men from eve to eve. I'm sure there must be a proper term for
this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com
Richard wrote:
I'm afraid that if I move the stairs over the required 250mm to be able
to fit a full door there is insufficient headroom at the top of the
stairs to meet building regulations (even it were considered to be a
loft conversion rather than a new build).
And unfortunately the stair angle is already at the maximum 42 degrees
allowed. I suppose I should explain, when I say the 'run of the house'
I actual men from eve to eve. I'm sure there must be a proper term for
this.

I though I uderstood your layout but now I'm not so sure how about a
plan?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard

If you're standing on the top floor looking from one eve wall to the
other, you're looking at a plan area of a triangle. Then the top of
the stairs is positioned as far to the left to allow a minimum head
clearance of 2.0m. Now ideally I'd like to put a door to the right
of the stair opening but to achieve this I would have to remove the top
right hand corner of the door. I don't need to put a door to the
right on the room facing you as you come up the stairs, but you do on
the room facing the back of your head because of the stairs opening.
Now the solution has been to take the corner out of this second room
and put an inward opening door in at ninety degrees to how I originally
wanted it. Clear as mud.
Originally what I wanted to do was to put a return on the stairs at the
top, which would mean I could increase the size of the first bedroom by
nearly a metre because I wouldn't have to have the space between the
top of the stairs and the bedroom door because they would be at ninety
degrees to each other, but again this gives me the same problem with
having to have a doorway with the corner removed.
Basically there isn't enough room to do what I want, so I was looking
for ideas for non-standard type doors that wouldn't look to
ridiculous and meet all the regulations.

I'd already looked up a case about installing a sprinkler instead of
having fire doors, but it was rejected on the basis of the smoke side.
However, since it was mentioned I read a bit more and I think they're
a good idea in their own right, so the builders pricing a system up.

Cheers.