Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Stacey

Default 15mm copper/plastic coupling

I have just been fixing a leak where copper pipe was joined to plastic
(polyplumb barrier pipe). For various reasons I chose to use a plastic
coupling. Is the copper pipe/plastic coupling satisfactory long term? It
is working fine as I write but soon it will be buried under the bathroom
floor and everything re-decorated I don't want to have to rip it all out
again.
(I am aware that I could have used a copper coupling and a metal insert in
the plastic pipe I just wonder if I "should" have done it that way round.)

Frank
the tentative plumber

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Frank Stacey wrote:

Is the copper pipe/plastic coupling satisfactory long term?

Yes.

(I am aware that I could have used a copper coupling and a metal insert
in the plastic pipe I just wonder if I "should" have done it that way
round.)

Presumably you used a plastic insert?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Frank Stacey wrote:

Is the copper pipe/plastic coupling satisfactory long term?

Yes.

(I am aware that I could have used a copper coupling and a metal insert
in the plastic pipe I just wonder if I "should" have done it that way
round.)

Presumably you used a plastic insert?

Plastic pipe in plastic coupling doesn't need any insert. Otherwise my
new bathrooms fcuked :-(

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:07:06 +0000, Grunff wrote:

wrote:

Plastic pipe in plastic coupling doesn't need any insert.

Yes, it does.

Otherwise my
new bathrooms fcuked :-(

Yes, it may well be. It won't leak straight away, but the pipe will go
oval over time and you'll get leaks.

What idiot told you that you don't need inserts?

Hmmm. Any Hep2O fittings I've used had had metal pipe inserts used
as per instructions .

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:03:40 -0800, manatbandq wrote:

Grunff wrote:
Frank Stacey wrote:

Is the copper pipe/plastic coupling satisfactory long term?

Yes.

(I am aware that I could have used a copper coupling and a metal insert
in the plastic pipe I just wonder if I "should" have done it that way
round.)

Presumably you used a plastic insert?

Plastic pipe in plastic coupling doesn't need any insert. Otherwise my
new bathrooms fcuked :-(

Um, if you can correct this do so. Otherwise you'll _probably_ be OK but
no guarantee of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

Grunff wrote:

Presumably you used a plastic insert?

Plastic pipe in plastic coupling doesn't need any insert. Otherwise my
new bathrooms fcuked :-(

You want the good news or the bad news?

http://www.johnguest.com/makeconnect.asp

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Stacey

"Grunff" wrote in message
Frank Stacey wrote:

Is the copper pipe/plastic coupling satisfactory long term?

Yes.

(I am aware that I could have used a copper coupling and a metal insert
in the plastic pipe I just wonder if I "should" have done it that way
round.)

Presumably you used a plastic insert?

--
Grunff

Yes, I did use a plastic insert on the all plastic side.

My worry is about the long term effectiveness of copper-in-plastic versus
plastic-in-copper. So far I haven't seen anything which mentions this.
Possibly because it is a non-issue - they are equally durable.

Frank
the tentative plumber

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Frank Stacey" contains these words:

My worry is about the long term effectiveness of copper-in-plastic versus
plastic-in-copper.

I did some a decade ago and they're fine.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.