Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott

Default Solar popwered water pump?

Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Scott

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:46:49 GMT, Scott
wrote:

Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

Scott

A couple of points....

- It's dificult to know what to recommend without knowing how deep the
borehole is. The 'cheapie' sump pumps that you can get from Screwfix
tend to have a limited head (= the vertical distance they can lift
water). Proper pumps designed for well use can pump water much
'higher' - but are correspondingly more expensive.
Can you use a length of string with a weight on the end to 'plumb' the
well and see how far down it is ? I found my replacement pump through
yellow pages - pumps & wells, I think... - flow rate is also
important, and I don't expect small solar pumps to shift a great
volume of water.

- assuming that you've got any depth at all in your well (as in more
than 10 ft) you are going to need a proper well-pump - which will cost
from £150 upwards. All the ones I've seen are mains-powered - and are
rated at 500watts + - which you're not going to get from a solar panel
- unless it's a very large and expensive one. If you're going to do
this seriously you'll need to pump the well water up into a storage
tank - which will add to the height your pump needs to lift...

However - all is not lost.
Perhaps the first stage would be to get a professional analysis of
your well water (£60 - £80). Depending on what that shows, you could
either

= give up on the project altogether (if the water quality is too low
to do anything with (economically))

= use the water 'as is' for non-critical applications around the
parish - garden watering, car washing etc

= go the whole hog and install suitable filtering / pump / tank system
to make it fit for human consumption.

We don't use any mains water at all. The previous owner of our
bungalow installed a hand-dug well using 5ft diameter concrete sewer
pipe sections - it goes down about 25ft, produces water that, after
filtration, is a lot nicer that the processed stuff that the water
company supply, and costs virtually nothing !

Filtration is via a particulate filter and UV lamp filter - filter
installation costs about £250, filter replacement costs £30 annually.
The pump and filter lamp cost a small amount in electricity. 'Used'
water is processed through our septic tank system.

Result - zero water rates and no hosepipe bans.....

Good luck !
Adrian
http://www.inspired-glass.co.uk/bungalow.htm
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:31:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Result - zero water rates and no hosepipe bans.....

Er, possibly not. You need to make sure you have the rights to abstract
the water and if you have, how much you can take per unit period.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Dave Liquorice wrote in message
ll.com...
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:31:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Result - zero water rates and no hosepipe bans.....

Er, possibly not. You need to make sure you have the rights to abstract
the water and if you have, how much you can take per unit period.

Easily done, I have a licence for 1000 litres a day.

To the OP
Solar powered pumps are really not worth while at only a few GPM minute
delivery you would need a large water store above ground, also the purchase
cost for a _large_ PV panel and pump would be hard to justify against mains
metered water.

-