Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aldrich

Default Choice of wireless thermostat / Part P

Hi

As I mentioned in another thread, I am thinking of replacing my mechanical
room thermostat with a Honeywell CM67. I intend to fit it to the existing
programmer and to leave that on 'continuous'. My only reservation about the
CM67 is that its user interface does not provide the simple functions that I
am used to, namely Advance and Extend (by 1,2,3 hours). I think I can use
the CM67's Party button to achieve these sorts of functions but I think it
is a little more complex to use.

I know the CM67 is well regarded but wondered if anyone has found a better
alternative (such as the Drayton)?

Also, what is the situation about diy replacement of a central heating
thermostat? Does it come under the requirements of Part P to be done by a
qualified electrician, or can I do it myself?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Aldrich wrote:

Hi

As I mentioned in another thread, I am thinking of replacing my
mechanical room thermostat with a Honeywell CM67. I intend to fit it
to the existing programmer and to leave that on 'continuous'. My only
reservation about the CM67 is that its user interface does not
provide the simple functions that I am used to, namely Advance and
Extend (by 1,2,3 hours). I think I can use the CM67's Party button to
achieve these sorts of functions but I think it is a little more
complex to use.

The CM67 isn't the most intuitive device to program - but once it's set up,
it works fine.

The party function can be used to increase or *decrease* the temperature for
a specified number of hours, or you can just over-ride the current setpoint
and it will remain there until the next programmed event. The Holiday
function is also extremely useful. You can leave the system on frost
protection only for N days while you are away, but still come home to a nice
warm house.

Also, what is the situation about diy replacement of a central heating
thermostat? Does it come under the requirements of Part P to be done
by a qualified electrician, or can I do it myself?

My understanding is that, since you are simply changing a component in an
existing circuit, you don't have to worry about Part P. I don't, anyway!
It's quite easy to fit in place of a mechanical stat - as long as you're not
one of these people who worry about having a spare wire, and who insist on
connecting the redundant neutral wire to the unused switch terminal - with
devastating results.
--
Cheers,
Roger