Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon

Default bathroom earthing question

Ok, this is probably a very stupid question, so apologies, but..

The is no earthing in my bathroom, i.e. the radiator, hot and cold pipes to
bath, basin, toilet, also the plugs and overflows. The only thing that is
earthed is the 8.5kw shower.

Anyway looking on t'internet it appears that I need to cross bond all of the
above items with earth wire and then connect to the earth terminal in the
shower isolating pull cord switch.

Ok, here is the stupid question, currently (pardon the pun), there is no
danger of me getting an electric shock, as I never do, and never will take
any electrical item into the bathroom, and secondly the electric shower has
been connected correctly. So if I was to carry out the earthing work as per
regs, then wouldn't I be increasing the chances of an electric shock.

Basically I have a irrational fear that somehow the earth lead will someday
work its way out of the terminal in the bathroom isolater switch and then
make contact to the live terminal, and now suddenly all the earthed stuff is
live.

I want to get the bathroom upto spec, but I genuinely feel It'll make the
bathroom less safe.

See I told you it was a stupid question :-}

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

jon wrote:
[...]

Not so, electricity takes the path to earth with least resistence, IE
straight down the copper pipes, hence the copper strips running up church
walls to lightning conductors on the roof, in other words, I could stand on
a church roof during a thunderstorm wearing nothing but a suit of armour and
not get struck by lightning because I'm not earthed as well as the lighning
conductor.

I want to get the bathroom upto spec, but I genuinely feel It'll make
the bathroom less safe.

See I told you it was a stupid question :-}

Jon

It's a common misconception, but stainless steel sinks have been earthed
this way for decades without anyone getting fried while washing dishes, any
power getting to the sink will not be felt by the person with wet hands
because they offer too much resistance in comparison to a copper pipe
straight into the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:06:41 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

jon wrote:
[...]

But then we have the question of plastic pipes ..???...lol

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:49:35 GMT someone who may be "jon"
wrote this:-

The is no earthing in my bathroom, i.e. the radiator, hot and cold pipes to
bath, basin, toilet, also the plugs and overflows. The only thing that is
earthed is the 8.5kw shower.

Anyway looking on t'internet it appears that I need to cross bond all of the
above items with earth wire and then connect to the earth terminal in the
shower isolating pull cord switch.

Far better to connect the bonding to the earth terminal in the
shower.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

The is no earthing in my bathroom, i.e. the radiator, hot and cold pipes to
bath, basin, toilet, also the plugs and overflows. The only thing that is
earthed is the 8.5kw shower.

Anyway looking on t'internet it appears that I need to cross bond all of the
above items with earth wire and then connect to the earth terminal in the
shower isolating pull cord switch.

Common misconception this. That is about regs applying to new installs,
there is no reason you would need to add crossbonding. The safety
benefit of crossbonding is approximately zero since the level of
protection against electrocution is already extremely good.

In terms of safety benefit per time and money spent, retrofitting
crossbonding is a non-starter. Your stairs are 1000s of times more
likely to kill you, as are various other things.

fwiw you'll normally find most of the above are already earthed. You
can test with a meter if you want.

NT

Earthing bathroom light Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 1 February 21st 06 01:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Install bathroom exhaust fan (newbie question) Daku Home Repair 3 April 15th 04 07:47 PM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM