Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default bathroom earthing question

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:06:41 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

jon wrote:
Ok, this is probably a very stupid question, so apologies, but..

The is no earthing in my bathroom, i.e. the radiator, hot and cold
pipes to bath, basin, toilet, also the plugs and overflows. The only
thing that is earthed is the 8.5kw shower.

Anyway looking on t'internet it appears that I need to cross bond all
of the above items with earth wire and then connect to the earth
terminal in the shower isolating pull cord switch.

Ok, here is the stupid question, currently (pardon the pun), there is
no danger of me getting an electric shock, as I never do, and never
will take any electrical item into the bathroom, and secondly the
electric shower has been connected correctly. So if I was to carry
out the earthing work as per regs, then wouldn't I be increasing the
chances of an electric shock.
Basically I have a irrational fear that somehow the earth lead will
someday work its way out of the terminal in the bathroom isolater
switch and then make contact to the live terminal, and now suddenly
all the earthed stuff is live.

Not so, electricity takes the path to earth with least resistence, IE
straight down the copper pipes, hence the copper strips running up church
walls to lightning conductors on the roof, in other words, I could stand on
a church roof during a thunderstorm wearing nothing but a suit of armour and
not get struck by lightning because I'm not earthed as well as the lighning
conductor.

I want to get the bathroom upto spec, but I genuinely feel It'll make
the bathroom less safe.

See I told you it was a stupid question :-}

Jon

It's a common misconception, but stainless steel sinks have been earthed
this way for decades without anyone getting fried while washing dishes, any
power getting to the sink will not be felt by the person with wet hands
because they offer too much resistance in comparison to a copper pipe
straight into the ground.

But then we have the question of plastic pipes ..???...lol

Stuart