Daku

Default Install bathroom exhaust fan (newbie question)

Now, since the weather is finally warming up, I am going to embark on
an ambitious project. In my 1 year old house, the builder put the
exhaust fan in the toilet room. The steam from the shower does not get
picked up by that fan.
I was thinking of installing an exhaust fan with the heater lamp on
the outside of the toilet room to scoop up the steam from the shower.
I can get to the attic and install the fan. I have few problems which
I have not completely figured out yet.
1) Can I connect the new fans hose to the hose of the fan in the
toilet room. This way I would not have to buy a 30ft ladder and punch
a hole in the wall for the new fans hose.
2) I have no experience with electric wiring. How should I run the
wires for this new setup? I want the fan and heater lamp to be
controlled from different switches. There are no extra switches in the
present setup.
m Ransley

You cannot vent the 2 from the same ductwork, use duct not flex.

m Ransley wrote:

You cannot vent the 2 from the same ductwork...

Why not join the hoses near the outlet or close the toilet room door?

use duct not flex.

Why?

Nick

Joseph Meehan

Daku wrote:
Now, since the weather is finally warming up, I am going to embark on
an ambitious project. In my 1 year old house, the builder put the
exhaust fan in the toilet room. The steam from the shower does not get
picked up by that fan.
I was thinking of installing an exhaust fan with the heater lamp on
the outside of the toilet room to scoop up the steam from the shower.
I can get to the attic and install the fan. I have few problems which
I have not completely figured out yet.
1) Can I connect the new fans hose to the hose of the fan in the
toilet room. This way I would not have to buy a 30ft ladder and punch
a hole in the wall for the new fans hose.

Sorry, no go. Fan A will just blow into room B etc. Not good.

2) I have no experience with electric wiring. How should I run the
wires for this new setup? I want the fan and heater lamp to be
controlled from different switches. There are no extra switches in the
present setup.

You are going to need more help than you can get here. Find a book at
the DIY store and read up on electrical and vent fans. Then come back with
any additional questions. Otherwise I suggest a pro. They will make fast
work of it.

BTW you may need a new line for the heater.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math