Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default temporary house walls while extending

My rear house extension requires some temporary house walls to be
constructed, since I am removing the sticking-out bit of the kitchen
and the single-storey bay on the back room.
There is an existing lintel across both openings, and I could be left
with little rear wall to the house ! Also, I need to dig foundations
"inside" the house for the area of wall that is replacing
the downstairs bay. Any ideas about the logistics of this ?
What type of walls/doors would be best to construct temporarily, whilst
work is happening ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:
My rear house extension requires some temporary house walls to be
constructed, since I am removing the sticking-out bit of the kitchen
and the single-storey bay on the back room.
There is an existing lintel across both openings, and I could be left
with little rear wall to the house ! Also, I need to dig foundations
"inside" the house for the area of wall that is replacing
the downstairs bay. Any ideas about the logistics of this ?
What type of walls/doors would be best to construct temporarily, whilst
work is happening ?

Is it not possible to build the extension 'around' the sticky-out bits,
then remove them once you have a secure, water-tight shell built?

In terms of temporary house walls - I'd say that depends on lots of
factors, such as how secure is the area where they'll be built (ie,
directly on to a footpath in the middle of town would be different to a
totally enclosed back yard in a quiet area); how long you anticipate
them being needed for. You'll probably find that your house insurance
will not cover you for theft related to any ongoing building work, so
think about that one.

Are the temporary walls just to 'fill in the holes', ie presumably not
load-bearing in any way? Stud partition-type wall maybe? You mention a
door above - is that a must? If so I would think that could be a big
problem, especially in terms of security (unless it becomes a fairly
non-permanent wall!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it not possible to build the extension 'around' the sticky-out bits,
then remove them once you have a secure, water-tight shell built?

I had hoped so. The roofs comes down to a level below the top of the
bay.
I could perhaps reduce the height of the bay. However I still need to
build some
foundation "inside" the bay, and going "though" it. Also the floor slab
of the sticky
out kitchen will need to be relaid as part of the new slab,

In terms of temporary house walls - I'd say that depends on lots of
factors, such as how secure is the area where they'll be built (ie,
directly on to a footpath in the middle of town would be different to a
totally enclosed back yard in a quiet area); how long you anticipate
them being needed for. You'll probably find that your house insurance
will not cover you for theft related to any ongoing building work, so
think about that one.

Well, the bay to be removed is actually dwarf walls and a door with
single-glazed
windows either side, and almost anything would be more secure that that
!

Are the temporary walls just to 'fill in the holes', ie presumably not
load-bearing in any way? Stud partition-type wall maybe? You mention a
door above - is that a must? If so I would think that could be a big
problem, especially in terms of security (unless it becomes a fairly
non-permanent wall!)

I guess stud, maybe rendered on outside.
The wall replacing the bay will be rather tricky. I may have to get
bricklayers
who can build the whole wall in a day, rather than me, the bricky tool
and
a few weeks !

Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Temp walls are normally constructed from some ply or sterling board
sheets on a 3x2 frame. If you need a door, hang it on strap hinges and
fit internal bolts. Staple some polyphene sheet to the external to rain
and draught proof

For the foundations, if you need to dig the floor up, then you need to
dig the floor up and its that simple.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Temp walls are normally constructed from some ply or sterling board
sheets on a 3x2 frame. If you need a door, hang it on strap hinges and
fit internal bolts. Staple some polyphene sheet to the external to rain
and draught proof

For the foundations, if you need to dig the floor up, then you need to
dig the floor up and its that simple.

Fantastic. Simple advice about how it's usually done.
Cheers,
Simon.