Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default OT Spitfire and the BBC reporting

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:44:33 GMT, dave wrote:

Just a fume to say how pathetic was the sound BBC coverage of last weekends
flypast by several Spitfires. What I was waiting to hear was the sound of those
wonderful Merlins. What I got was two motormouth presenters with who were
terrified of any silence longer than 0.1 second.

The OB pictures were excellent though, great to see those aircraft flying.

I live just north of the Scottish Border. A couple of years ago, I
was having lunch and thought I heard that unmistakable sound of a
Merlin engine - once heard (and like so many folks now retired I heard
my first a very long time ago) never forgotten. Surely not a Spitfire
or Hurricane? I left my lunch and rushed outside, just in time to see
a lone Spitfire cruise overhead at no more than 1000 ft, heading
south. There had been an air show further north a day earlier, so it
was presumably heading home.

One of my neighbours saw me looking up and asked what was the matter -
I pointed to the Spitfire. He wasn't impressed - "What's all the
excitement? Just some bloody aeroplane, isn't it?"

I went into full Victor Meldrew mode, with the wife trying to quieten
me. The poor neighbour retreated down the street with my voice
getting louder as he retreated - "Some bloody aeroplane? SOME BLOODY
AEROPLANE???!! If it wasn't for that 'bloody aeroplane', matey -
you'd be speaking German and eating with chopsticks!!!!!"

I think the poor man crossed the street on his way back home.

Just a few months later, a B17 flew over at low level, again heading
south. A hugely impressive sight and sound. But apart from me, not a
single person in the neighbourhood even raised their eyes. There's a
monument in London that promises we'll never forget. Hell - most
folks have forgotten already.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

John wrote:
[...]

Not in the same league, but years ago as a young man living on the
Mendip Hills in Somerset I used to watch the Brabazon flying overhead.
To my young eyes it seemed as though it was going to fall out of the sky
it seemed so slow.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John" wrote in message
[...]

That man is a Philistine!

I went into full Victor Meldrew mode,

Understandable!

with the wife trying to quieten
me. The poor neighbour retreated down the street with my voice
getting louder as he retreated - "Some bloody aeroplane? SOME BLOODY
AEROPLANE???!! If it wasn't for that 'bloody aeroplane', matey -
you'd be speaking German and eating with chopsticks!!!!!"

I think the poor man crossed the street on his way back home.

You should have thrown bricks at him.

Just a few months later, a B17 flew over at low level, again heading
south. A hugely impressive sight and sound. But apart from me, not a
single person in the neighbourhood even raised their eyes. There's a
monument in London that promises we'll never forget. Hell - most
folks have forgotten already.

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block. I have see
countless Lancasters (probably the same one), Spitfires, Hurricanes, Vulcans
(when that banks it is impressive), Tornadoes, etc. The Lancaster is a
"big" plane. A South African friend was visiting the UK, I took him up to
the roof so, he could see London from higher up, Coming towards us was a
Lancaster, at about 100 feet higher than us, it passed within 500 yards and
appears at the same level as us and banked away. He was mesmerised. First
day in London he sees a Lancaster at close quarters in flight. He never
stopped about it for days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Broadback" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

John wrote:

[...]

A little while ago the equivalent of http://tinyurl.com/ebqd8 was posted
to the local newsgroup here, and received a similar response: it's a
plane, so what? We discovered several Victor Meldrews in residence:-)

Douglas de Lacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.

Not 'arf as much as Comets.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:02:55 GMT, Guy King wrote:

|The message ews.net
|from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:
|
| The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.
|
|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.

Without the corners on the windows, of course.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Douglas de Lacey" wrote in message

A little while ago the equivalent of http://tinyurl.com/ebqd8 was posted
to the local newsgroup here, and received a similar response: it's a
plane, so what? We discovered several Victor Meldrews in residence:-)

Living with an aeroplane obsessive and having an RAF son I'm steeped in it.

But, thankfully, only military 'planes. Civil 'planes ARE mostly 'so
what?' -except seaplanes :-)

But there again, I swear that Victor Meldrew was modelled on the Fisher
males. all of them.

sigh

Mary

Douglas de Lacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Mary Fisher wrote:

But there again, I swear that Victor Meldrew was modelled on the Fisher
males. all of them.

So is Meldrew's Syndrome carried in the Fisher (male line) genes... or
are we looking for some other common factor?

;-)

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:02:55 GMT, Guy King wrote:

|The message ews.net
|from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:
|
| The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.
|
|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.

Yep. The Nimrod. Still flying I believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"John" wrote in message

I went into full Victor Meldrew mode, with the wife trying to quieten
me. The poor neighbour retreated down the street with my voice
getting louder as he retreated - "Some bloody aeroplane? SOME BLOODY
AEROPLANE???!! If it wasn't for that 'bloody aeroplane', matey -
you'd be speaking German and eating with chopsticks!!!!!"

Just try and remember that the Hurricane played a bigger role in the battle
of Britain than the Spitfire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 11:02:55 GMT, Guy King wrote:

|The message ews.net
|from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:
|
| The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.
|
|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.

Have they stopped flying them now?
I don't think they have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.

Wrong as usual, Brabazon didn't fall out of the sky and the Mk 1 racked
up about 400 hours flying time. It was grounded by economics, not
technical or safety problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:37:33 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

|Doctor Drivel wrote:
|
| The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.
|

|Wrong as usual, Brabazon didn't fall out of the sky and the Mk 1 racked
|up about 400 hours flying time. It was grounded by economics, not
|technical or safety problems.

Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky, for must the reasons
given by OP It was grossly underpowered, and slow. Which would have made
it
| seem as though it was going to fall out of the sky

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/classics/brab.php

Passengers would not spend 12 hours in a Brabazon when they could reach
their destination in a smaller, faster aircraft in seven.

If low speed is not a technical reason nothing is.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

wrote:

|Doctor Drivel wrote:
|
| The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky.
|

|Wrong as usual, Brabazon didn't fall out of the sky and the Mk 1 racked
|up about 400 hours flying time. It was grounded by economics, not
|technical or safety problems.

Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky,

Utter bull****, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out
of the sky".

If low speed is not a technical reason nothing is.

It wasn't the "low speed" that finished off Brabazon, it was the
economics of a 50 seater aircraft competing with a 150+ seater aircraft.
The economics of pure luxury vs. cattle class travel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:27:38 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

| Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky,
^^^^^^^^^

|Utter bull****, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out
|of the sky".

ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word.

Reading comprehension classes are available free at your local further
education establishment.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

wrote:

| Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky,
^^^^^^^^^

|Utter bull****, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out
|of the sky".

ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word.

Used for emphasis, usually by people desperate top make an incorrect
point. At no time did the Brabazon project fall out of the sky, it was
simply mothballed then forgotten. Exaggeration of the type that you and
Drivel are prone to is a gross distortion of fact.

Reading comprehension classes are available free at your local further
education establishment.

Sadly there's no cure for what ails you, not until you have the decency
to pop your clogs like Allen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:11:23 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Passengers would not spend 12 hours in a Brabazon when they could reach
their destination in a smaller, faster aircraft in seven.

Passengers would not spend three hours in a Concorde when they could
reach their destination in a bigger, slower aircraft such as the 747
in eight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:27:41 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Coming towards us was a
Lancaster, at about 100 feet higher than us, it passed within 500 yards and
appears at the same level as us and banked away.

Either you can't judge distances very well or the plane seriously
flouted clearance height regulations. I tend to believe the former
is correct. Are you sure this really was a South African you were with
or was it on top of Nelson Mandela House?

Now cut me a pipe 510mm long and don't use a hacksaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Broadback wrote:

Not in the same league, but years ago as a young man living on the
Mendip Hills in Somerset I used to watch the Brabazon flying overhead.
To my young eyes it seemed as though it was going to fall out of the sky
it seemed so slow.

As I kid, during the height of the Cold War I lived close to RAF
Finningley, which used to put on an annual air display, one of the
highlight of which was a demo of the "Vulcan Scramble". As a
six-year-old, the significance of what it all meant was somewhat lost on
me, but in a real-life situation the bombers would have been 'scrambled'
to go and drop their payload of nukes on Moscow, before the inbound
ICBMs hit.

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off
together really was something else; the ground would literally shake as
these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome stuff!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Firth
saying something like:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

Locked ward in a psychiatric block, more like.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

"John" wrote in message
.. .

I went into full Victor Meldrew mode, with the wife trying to quieten
me. The poor neighbour retreated down the street with my voice
getting louder as he retreated - "Some bloody aeroplane? SOME BLOODY
AEROPLANE???!! If it wasn't for that 'bloody aeroplane', matey -
you'd be speaking German and eating with chopsticks!!!!!"

Just try and remember that the Hurricane played a bigger role in the battle
of Britain than the Spitfire.

Slower and lacked the ability to be further developed to the same extent
as the Spit, though. Nevertheless a great plane and one which was, like
the Spit, developed just in time and in sufficient numbers to make a
difference.

At the end of the war the Spit itself was becoming out-classed by the
likes of the Mustang.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains
these words:

At the end of the war the Spit itself was becoming out-classed by the
likes of the Mustang.

Only 'cos we gave 'em proper engines.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:49:04 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:27:38 +0000, Steve Firth
| wrote:
|

| | Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky,
| ^^^^^^^^^
|
| |Utter bull****, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out
| |of the sky".
|
| ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word.
|
|Used for emphasis, usually by people desperate top make an incorrect
|point. At no time did the Brabazon project fall out of the sky, it was
|simply mothballed then forgotten. Exaggeration of the type that you and
|Drivel are prone to is a gross distortion of fact.

metaphor

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...efine:metaphor
Definitions of metaphor on the Web:

a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something
that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity

| Reading comprehension classes are available free at your local further
| education establishment.

Perhaps GCSE English after that.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

Yep. The Allison was ****e.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Coming towards us was a
Lancaster, at about 100 feet higher than us, it passed within 500 yards
and
appears at the same level as us and banked away.

Either you can't judge distances

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block. I have see
countless Lancasters (probably the same one), Spitfires, Hurricanes,
Vulcans (when that banks it is impressive), Tornadoes, etc. The
Lancaster is a "big" plane.

Sorry to be another one to have to correct you. The Lancaster is not a
big plane at all. It is quite tiny when you see it on the ground. The
Battle of Britain Memorial flight were frequent visitors at the site I
used to work at and I would say that it was not much longer than a
Tornado ADV. Higher at the front, but much lower at the back, due to its
back to front tricycle undercarriage. It had a wider wing span, but that
does not make it a bigger aircraft.

The skin panels looked very much like a well patched up aircraft that
had been in the wars, but if I remember rightly, this one never saw
active service in WWII. But I will stand corrected, if anyone can tell
me otherwise.

Many years ago, we had a German working party on site and the boss got
wind of the arrival of the B.o.B. memorial flight's arrival. As we all
looked out to the East for it, as soon as the first plane came into view
(the Lancaster) he turned on his heels to let the rest of the Germans
know that the flight was arriving. One wag turned round and shouted
'Look, the buggers are still s**t scared of them'.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

I thought that you were just a plumber/plonker.

I worked in the aerospace industry for over a quarter of a century. What
do you know about airyplanes then?

Already you are out of your depth :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

Coming towards us was a
Lancaster, at about 100 feet higher than us, it passed within 500 yards
and
appears at the same level as us and banked away.

Either you can't judge distances

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961393_en_2.htm

The Rules of the Air Regulations 1996

Low flying
5.—(1) Subject to the provisions of paragraphs (2) and (3):

(a) an aircraft other than a helicopter shall not fly over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement below:

(ii) a height of 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600
metres of the aircraft:
whichever is the higher;

(e) an aircraft shall not fly closer than 500 feet to any person,
vessel, vehicle or structure..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Matt contains these words:

(a) an aircraft other than a helicopter shall not fly over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement below:

You might point that out to the tit who does aerobatics over Ironbridge
for hours on end on nice summer afternoons.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

I rather think he was talking about the ward where he's sectioned

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Douglas de Lacey
writes
John wrote:

[...]

Airfix does Wysteria Avenue ...

did the battery arrive ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Ian White
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

But there again, I swear that Victor Meldrew was modelled on the
Fisher males. all of them.

So is Meldrew's Syndrome carried in the Fisher (male line) genes... or
are we looking for some other common factor?

The female side has the "Keeping up appearances" gene

(or maybe not)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

| Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky,
^^^^^^^^^

|Utter bull****, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out
|of the sky".

ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word.

True. This man is a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Passengers would not spend 12 hours in a Brabazon when they could reach
their destination in a smaller, faster aircraft in seven.

Passengers would not spend three hours in a Concorde when they could
reach their destination in a bigger, slower aircraft such as the 747
in eight.

Lord Hall, they would if they could afford it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block. I have see
countless Lancasters (probably the same one), Spitfires, Hurricanes,
Vulcans (when that banks it is impressive), Tornadoes, etc. The
Lancaster is a "big" plane.

Sorry to be another one to have to correct you. The Lancaster is not a big
plane at all. It is quite tiny when you see it on the ground. The Battle
of Britain Memorial flight were frequent visitors at the site I used to
work at and I would say that it was not much longer than a Tornado ADV.
Higher at the front, but much lower at the back, due to its back to front
tricycle undercarriage. It had a wider wing span, but that does not make
it a bigger aircraft.

It looks big in the air. Probabaly because it has wide wings.

The skin panels looked very much like a well patched up aircraft that had
been in the wars, but if I remember rightly, this one never saw active
service in WWII. But I will stand corrected, if anyone can tell me
otherwise.

Many years ago, we had a German working party on site and the boss got
wind of the arrival of the B.o.B. memorial flight's arrival. As we all
looked out to the East for it, as soon as the first plane came into view
(the Lancaster) he turned on his heels to let the rest of the Germans know
that the flight was arriving. One wag turned round and shouted 'Look, the
buggers are still s**t scared of them'.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

I thought that you were just a plumber/plonker.

PatnDave, you know what thought, thought.

I worked in the aerospace industry for over a quarter of a century. What
do you know about airyplanes then?

More than Lord Hall. I used to commission ILS systems and TACAN in the
Middle East. I f*****g hate airyplanes.

Already you are out of your depth :-)

I would like to keep it that way, but alas I know more than you PatnDave..as
always.