Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default OT Spitfire and the BBC reporting

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

I rather think he was talking about the ward where he's sectioned

Maxie, you have a thing about wards don't you? It is because you are
psychedelic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Matt contains these words:

(a) an aircraft other than a helicopter shall not fly over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement below:

You might point that out to the tit who does aerobatics over Ironbridge
for hours on end on nice summer afternoons.

You're saying that Ironbridge comes under "congested area of a city,
town or settlement" ?

not since the Romans left Wroxeter ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

I rather think he was talking about the ward where he's sectioned

Maxie, you have a thing about wards don't you? It is because you are
psychedelic?

Maybe in your eyes

... when the drugs take effect

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block.

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

I rather think he was talking about the ward where he's sectioned

Maxie, you have a thing about wards don't you? It is because you are
psychedelic?

Maybe in your eyes

.. when the drugs take effect

Cor. Maxie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Twydell

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.

Without the corners on the windows, of course.

It wasn't the windows that the passengers looked through, it was one of
the square windows in the cabin roof for the ADF (automatic direction
finding) equipment.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Twydell

In message , Lobster
writes
Broadback wrote:

Not in the same league, but years ago as a young man living on the
Mendip Hills in Somerset I used to watch the Brabazon flying overhead.
To my young eyes it seemed as though it was going to fall out of the
sky it seemed so slow.

As I kid, during the height of the Cold War I lived close to RAF
Finningley, which used to put on an annual air display, one of the
highlight of which was a demo of the "Vulcan Scramble". As a
six-year-old, the significance of what it all meant was somewhat lost
on me, but in a real-life situation the bombers would have been
'scrambled' to go and drop their payload of nukes on Moscow, before the
inbound ICBMs hit.

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off
together really was something else; the ground would literally shake as
these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome stuff!

David

Even more awesome when you realise they made all that noise *without*
afterburners (or reheat, as we would have called it then), as Vulcans
didn't have them. A lot of noise these days comes from the Tornado and
the Typhoon, but IMHO the real blaster is the B-1, known as the Bone
(geddit?)
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Twydell

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains
these words:

At the end of the war the Spit itself was becoming out-classed by the
likes of the Mustang.

Only 'cos we gave 'em proper engines.

Yep. The Allison was ****e.

Not really. It ran smoothly, and the Allison-engined Mustangs were very
fast at low altitude. The problem was that the engine lacked a good
supercharger, which meant that the performance dropped off significantly
at combat altitude in Europe. The V-1710 was fitted with a
turbosupercharger in the Lockheed P-38 Lightning and was successful
there. The Mustang was transformed by fitting a Merlin engine with a
2-stage 2-speed supercharger, the same as in the Spitfire Mk IX and
others.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:48:59 UTC, Peter Twydell
wrote:

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

|Not 'arf as much as Comets.

The RAF took over the Comet airframes and flew them for years, and
derivatives went on flying for even more years.

Without the corners on the windows, of course.

It wasn't the windows that the passengers looked through, it was one of
the square windows in the cabin roof for the ADF (automatic direction
finding) equipment.

Slightly preferable to the tail falling off.... (remember 'No Highway'?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Broadback wrote:

Not in the same league, but years ago as a young man living on the
Mendip Hills in Somerset I used to watch the Brabazon flying overhead.
To my young eyes it seemed as though it was going to fall out of the sky
it seemed so slow.

As I kid, during the height of the Cold War I lived close to RAF
Finningley, which used to put on an annual air display, one of the
highlight of which was a demo of the "Vulcan Scramble". As a
six-year-old, the significance of what it all meant was somewhat lost on
me, but in a real-life situation the bombers would have been 'scrambled'
to go and drop their payload of nukes on Moscow, before the inbound ICBMs
hit.

Ermm ... minor quibble ... the QRA (Quick Reaction Aircraft) would
have been scrambled _before_ the inbound ICBMs 'hit' - to drop their
payload of 'nukes' on ????? long after the demise of the UK (and/or the
'Home Service' [aka Radio4) had stopped transmitting.

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off
together really was something else; the ground would literally shake as
these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome stuff!

David

I was privileged to attend the RAF's Fiftieth Birthday 'Parade'/Review ....
the paddock in which I was corralled was a long way from the Royal Enclosure
. Anyway; the
'Parade' consisted of a _very_ low level flypast of RAF/RFC/RNAS aircraft in
chronological order. The wave upon wave of Vulcans that 'passed before The
Queen'
was truly awesome and the ground did literally shake!

Even more awesome when you realise they made all that noise *without*
afterburners (or reheat, as we would have called it then), as Vulcans
didn't have them. A lot of noise these days comes from the Tornado and the
Typhoon, but IMHO the real blaster is the B-1, known as the Bone (geddit?)
--
Peter

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:42:46 UTC, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

I was privileged to attend the RAF's Fiftieth Birthday 'Parade'/Review ....
the paddock in which I was corralled was a long way from the Royal Enclosure
. Anyway; the
'Parade' consisted of a _very_ low level flypast of RAF/RFC/RNAS aircraft in
chronological order. The wave upon wave of Vulcans that 'passed before The
Queen'
was truly awesome and the ground did literally shake!

A few years ago I was driving past the (then) RAF Manston airport, on a
Saturday. They were due to have an air show on the following day.

It was a nice day, and I had the windows and sunroof open. The road runs
about a metre from the perimeter fence. I was looking at the road.

I didn't notice the Harrier getting ready to do a vertical take-off
literally just the other side of the fence. Well, not until I nearly
left the road! It was a bit noisy...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off
together really was something else; the ground would literally shake as
these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome stuff!

Even just one Vulcan taking off isawesome.

One is being restored to fly again.

We're members of the support group.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block. I have see
countless Lancasters (probably the same one), Spitfires, Hurricanes,
Vulcans (when that banks it is impressive), Tornadoes, etc. The
Lancaster is a "big" plane.

Sorry to be another one to have to correct you. The Lancaster is not a big
plane at all. It is quite tiny when you see it on the ground.

It depends on what you're comparing it with.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Lobster
writes

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off
together really was something else; the ground would literally shake
as these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome
stuff!

Even more awesome when you realise they made all that noise *without*
afterburners (or reheat, as we would have called it then), as Vulcans
didn't have them.

Ok, Ok, I was only 6! (Still *bloody* noisy though)!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 507776 20060308 121413 "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

I don't like to boast (that's a lie!) but that author was a regular visitor to my house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Matt wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 22:50:50 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
. ..

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:27:41 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Coming towards us was a
Lancaster, at about 100 feet higher than us, it passed within 500 yards
and
appears at the same level as us and banked away.

Either you can't judge distances

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961393_en_2.htm

The Rules of the Air Regulations 1996

Low flying
5.—(1) Subject to the provisions of paragraphs (2) and (3):

(a) an aircraft other than a helicopter shall not fly over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement below:

(ii) a height of 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600
metres of the aircraft:
whichever is the higher;

(e) an aircraft shall not fly closer than 500 feet to any person,
vessel, vehicle or structure..

Just as a minor point of accuracy, the rules changed last year and are now:
(2) The low flying prohibitions

(a) Failure of power unit

An aircraft shall not be flown below such height as would
enable it, in the event of a power unit failure, to make an emergency
landing without causing danger to persons or property on the surface.

(b) The 500 feet rule

Except with the permission in writing of the CAA, an
aircraft shall not be flown closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel,
vehicle or structure.

(c) The 1,000 feet rule

Except with the permission in writing of the CAA, an
aircraft flying over a congested area of a city town or settlement shall
not fly below a height of 1,000 feet above the highest fixed obstacle
within a horizontal radius of 600 metres of the aircraft.

(d) The land clear rule

An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city town or
settlement shall not fly below such height as will permit, in the event
of a power unit failure, the aircraft to land clear of the congested area.

(e) Flying over open air assemblies

Except with the permission in writing of the CAA, an
aircraft shall not fly over an organised open-air assembly of more than
1,000 persons below -

(i) a height of 1,000 feet, or

(ii) such height as will permit, in the event of a power
unit failure, the aircraft to alight clear of the assembly,

whichever is the higher.

(f) Landing and taking off near open air assemblies

An aircraft shall not land or take-off within 1,000 metres
of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons, except -

(i) at an aerodrome, in accordance with procedures notified
by the CAA, or

(ii) at a landing site other than an aerodrome, in
accordance with procedures notified by the CAA and with the written
permission of the organiser of the assembly.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

I don't like to boast (that's a lie!) but that author was a regular
visitor to my house.

Ended up with the Council eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message

All the regulations in the world doesn't mean that no-one is ever going to
break them.

cf road speed restrictions.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

I don't like to boast (that's a lie!) but that author was a regular visitor to my house.

Was he? Were you in residence? He died about '63 I think. I'm
impressed.

Slide Rule is a brilliant book, especially the 100 or so pages about
the R100, a sad record of ignorant politicians destroying a technically
sucessful project. I've got most of his novels, Requiem for a Wren must
be one of his best. And Trustee from the Toolroom.

There's a very interesting website on the Comet crashes, I'll find a
link if it's of interest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

I don't like to boast (that's a lie!) but that author was a regular
visitor to my house.

Was he? Were you in residence? He died about '63 I think. I'm
impressed.

So am I! If we're talking about Neville Shute ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Mary Fisher wrote:

So am I! If we're talking about Neville Shute ...

I was. Just got one of the many dog-eared paperbacks off the shelf to
read the 'Also by' list.
Round the Bend - my favourite. So Disdained, Ruined City are excellent.
Why haven't more of them been made into films?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

So am I! If we're talking about Neville Shute ...

I was. Just got one of the many dog-eared paperbacks off the shelf to
read the 'Also by' list.
Round the Bend - my favourite. So Disdained, Ruined City are excellent.
Why haven't more of them been made into films?

Don't ask me. I'm not a film maker.

No Highway and Ruined City are mine.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Planes that do the flypasts in London fly over my block. I have see
countless Lancasters (probably the same one), Spitfires, Hurricanes,
Vulcans (when that banks it is impressive), Tornadoes, etc. The
Lancaster is a "big" plane.

Sorry to be another one to have to correct you. The Lancaster is not a big
plane at all. It is quite tiny when you see it on the ground.

It depends on what you're comparing it with.

Compared to a Boeing 707, it is tiny. To a Hawk trainer, it is big :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:10:08 UTC, "Aidan" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

Slide Rule is a brilliant book, especially the 100 or so pages about
the R100, a sad record of ignorant politicians destroying a technically
sucessful project. I've got most of his novels, Requiem for a Wren must
be one of his best. And Trustee from the Toolroom.

All my favourites. Although I get very emotional at the end of Ruined
City!

I read my first Nevil Shute book in about 1963. That was after hearing
the Chequer Board as a Sunday afternoon radio play. I have them all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:13:38 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

So am I! If we're talking about Neville Shute ...

No, Nevil Shute (or Norway in real life).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

First published in 1948. Would that be before the Comet disasters?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Simpson

In article . com, Aidan
writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

So am I! If we're talking about Neville Shute ...

I was. Just got one of the many dog-eared paperbacks off the shelf to
read the 'Also by' list.
Round the Bend - my favourite. So Disdained, Ruined City are excellent.
Why haven't more of them been made into films?

I suspect that they are viewed as being dated by current standards, and
so not marketable.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Roger wrote:

First published in 1948. Would that be before the Comet disasters?

Yes, first Comet crash was January 1954 (I had to look that up). Shute
(Norway) had been the chief calculator, working for Barnes Wallis, on
R100 so was aware of stress problems.

He was later MD of aircraft builders Airspeed, but got sacked when he
had managed to grow company beyond his limited managerial abilities.
Airspeed built the Horsa glider during WW2. Shute did some secret
projects for the Navy in WW2, mostly on PLUTO, I believe. It seems
strange that he wasn't dragged back into aircraft production.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

.... (remember 'No Highway'?)

A brilliant book by one of my favourite authors.Wish I hadn't lent it to
someone:-(

I don't like to boast (that's a lie!) but that author was a regular visitor to my house.

Was he? Were you in residence? He died about '63 I think. I'm
impressed.

I'm afraid not. The house I've owned and lived in for the past 37 years was built
(for himself) by Sydney Hansel, who started as an architect then became an
aviation pioneer. He learned to fly in the USA then came to England and became
a designer and test pilot at the Airspeed factory in Portsmouth, which was part-owned
and managed by Nevil Shute Norway. Sydney died in 2004 aged 100; he told me
that Nevil was a regular visitor to my house. He also played host to Amy Johnson,
Johnny Kent and Sir Dennistoun Burney.

Nevil Shute lived in a house by the bridge to Hayling Island. Where Portsmouth
airport used to be is now a trading estate and has roads named Norway Road
and Nevil Shute Road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Aidan wrote:
Roger wrote:

First published in 1948. Would that be before the Comet disasters?

Yes, first Comet crash was January 1954 (I had to look that up).

Shortly after I flew in it (first flight in my life). I was pretty young
at the time and my main memory is of the Captain coming into the cabin
and saying "Look, ladies and gentlemen" while balancing a pencil on its
end on a table. I'm afraid my reaction was "Well, I can do *that*". My
next flight was in a Viking ...

Agree about Shute. Great author.

Douglas de Lacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

All the regulations in the world doesn't mean that no-one is ever going to
break them.

cf road speed restrictions.

Mary

I agree, but it's not really a fair comparison. Pilots are mostly highly
disciplined and law-abiding (I'm a flying instructor, amongst other
things) - I'm not sure that can be said about most people's attitude to
driving. The development of "Captaincy" and responsibility is part of
the process of training people to fly.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

All the regulations in the world doesn't mean that no-one is ever going
to break them.

cf road speed restrictions.

Mary

I agree, but it's not really a fair comparison. Pilots are mostly highly
disciplined and law-abiding (I'm a flying instructor, amongst other
things) - I'm not sure that can be said about most people's attitude to
driving. The development of "Captaincy" and responsibility is part of the
process of training people to fly.

You're right on all points but I stand by my previous statement. Regulations
don't ensure compliance.

Mary

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 8 Mar 2006 13:10:08 -0800 Aidan wrote :
And Trustee from the Toolroom.

A really great read - story-telling and engineering brought together
beautifully.

There's a very interesting website on the Comet crashes, I'll find a
link if it's of interest.

What is really spooky about No Highway is that it was written well
before the Comet crashes.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:50:15 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 8 Mar 2006 13:10:08 -0800 Aidan wrote :
And Trustee from the Toolroom.

A really great read - story-telling and engineering brought together
beautifully.

There's a very interesting website on the Comet crashes, I'll find a
link if it's of interest.

What is really spooky about No Highway is that it was written well
before the Comet crashes.

And if he managed that with No Highway - what about On the Beach?

I comfort myself with the fact that the former was his profession...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from Dave contains these words:

cf road speed restrictions.

Mary

I agree, but it's not really a fair comparison. Pilots are mostly highly
disciplined and law-abiding (I'm a flying instructor, amongst other
things) - I'm not sure that can be said about most people's attitude to
driving. The development of "Captaincy" and responsibility is part of
the process of training people to fly.

It used to be the case that car drivers were taught a responsible
approach to speed but that was before an antediluvian socialist who
couldn't even drive decreed that henceforth plutocrats in their limos
would not be permitted to drive any faster than the plebs in their
volkswagons.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:57:27 GMT, Roger wrote:

|It used to be the case that car drivers were taught a responsible
|approach to speed but that was before an antediluvian socialist who
|couldn't even drive decreed that henceforth plutocrats in their limos
|would not be permitted to drive any faster than the plebs in their
|volkswagons.

Now remind me: When was *anybody* allowed to exceed the speed limit,
except police, ambulance and other emergency vehicle drivers.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

Today we've disposed of hundreds of books :-(

I went through the boxes for a last time and found No Highway.

It's now in the house for a last read ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:09:22 +0000 Dave Fawthrop wrote :
Now remind me: When was *anybody* allowed to exceed the speed limit,
except police, ambulance and other emergency vehicle drivers.

Pre-1967(ish) there was no speed limit except where marked.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from Tony Bryer contains these words:

Now remind me: When was *anybody* allowed to exceed the speed limit,
except police, ambulance and other emergency vehicle drivers.

Pre-1967(ish) there was no speed limit except where marked.

IIRC the evil date was some time in 1965. Dave is probably too old to
remember that far back. ;-)

--
Roger Chapman