BillR

Default Water pressure?

Tony Bryer wrote:
Is there a rule of thumb as to the likely static mains water pressu
I'm about to install an Ariston undersink heater which needs a
pressure reducing valve if the pressure is more than 3.5 bar. The
Thames Water site is one of those that has been expensively designed
with not too much thought for what users might want to know.

It can vary a lot. Mine is 6 bar and I have to use such a valve on the feed
to my water softener.
3.5 bar I can hold back with my finger on the tap. 5 bar I cannot

BigWallop

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
Is there a rule of thumb as to the likely static mains water pressu
I'm about to install an Ariston undersink heater which needs a pressure
reducing valve if the pressure is more than 3.5 bar. The Thames Water
site is one of those that has been expensively designed with not too
much thought for what users might want to know.

Tony Bryer

Hi Tony,

You could fit the heater with the reducer valve anyway, because if the
pressure is no where near to high, then the valve will act as just a safety
device in times when the pressure does rise above nominal working pressure.

Fit as per instructions and you won't go wrong.

Only one other point. Does the heater have a minimum working pressure ?

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy

BigWallop wrote:
You could fit the heater with the reducer valve anyway

Good advice. The valves aren't especially expensive anyway:

http://tinyurl.com/lggu

Andy

Lee Blaver

Andy wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

You could fit the heater with the reducer valve anyway

Good advice. The valves aren't especially expensive anyway:

http://tinyurl.com/lggu

Andy

Wish I'd remembered to check that site before I bought the expensive and
troublesome to fit, Reliance valve a couple of days ago... :-(

Pressure was 7 BAR here when measured btw, also Thames Water.

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:53:11 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb as to the likely static mains water
pressu I'm about to install an Ariston undersink heater which
needs a pressure reducing valve if the pressure is more than 3.5
bar.

Search back, I recently posted the URL of the relevant part of the
OFWAT site that gives the min required pressure at the boundary stop
cock. 7 bar springs to mind.

3.5 bar is only around 35' head just about enough to make it up to the
roof tank(s) but at what flow rate. Sounds to me as if this kit is
designed to be tank fed in a "normal" house rather than mains fed.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:56:24 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:53:11 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb as to the likely static mains water
pressu I'm about to install an Ariston undersink heater which
needs a pressure reducing valve if the pressure is more than 3.5
bar.

Search back, I recently posted the URL of the relevant part of the
OFWAT site that gives the min required pressure at the boundary stop
cock. 7 bar springs to mind.

3.5 bar is only around 35' head just about enough to make it up to the
roof tank(s) but at what flow rate. Sounds to me as if this kit is
designed to be tank fed in a "normal" house rather than mains fed.

Water companies are required to deliver 10 metres of head with a flow
rate of 9 litres/min at the external stop tap. Not a lot is it?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:53:11 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb as to the likely static mains water
pressu I'm about to install an Ariston undersink heater which
needs a pressure reducing valve if the pressure is more than 3.5
bar.

Search back, I recently posted the URL of the relevant part of the
OFWAT site that gives the min required pressure at the boundary stop
cock. 7 bar springs to mind.

3.5 bar is only around 35' head just about enough to make it up to the
roof tank(s)

1 bar is approx 30 foot head. 3.5 bar is approx 105 foot. 3.5 bar is very
acceptable with a decent flow.

---

Tony Bryer

In article , Lee Blaver wrote:
Wish I'd remembered to check that site before I bought the expensive and
troublesome to fit, Reliance valve a couple of days ago... :-(

Pressure was 7 BAR here when measured btw, also Thames Water.

THanks for all the replies: advice taken and acted on.

Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM
Water pressure Dave Liquorice UK diy 2 August 17th 03 01:11 PM
Anyone recommend a combi that works well on low water pressure? Christian McArdle UK diy 5 August 16th 03 11:17 AM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
No pressure in Hot water tap!!! Help The Question Asker UK diy 8 July 21st 03 09:47 PM