Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
peter

Default Locating a combination boiler

Sooner or later I am going to have to get our aging gas backboiler replaced.
I live in a chalet bungalow (we had a loft conversion put in some 25 years
ago) with a full length carport down the side of this semi detached
property. Convenient outside wall options for hanging a combination boiler
are not good. My favorite option would be to locate the boiler in our
present downstairs located airing cupboard. The airing cupboard does not
have an outside wall but backs directly onto the chimney. This would imply
removing the present storage tank and using a chimney flue liner kit (after
knocking a hole through the back of the airing cupboard into the chimney
flue) . We have just had a new kitchen fitted which I do not wish to mess up
by installation of a boiler and we are about to upgrade the bathroom
(possibly the only other feasible location for a boiler other than the
airing cupboard). Obviously it would be helpful to ensure that a boiler can
be placed in the airing cupboard before closing down other options. Is a
chimney flued combination boiler likely to be viable or not? I would not be
unduly worried about blocking off the fireplace flue in the adjacent sitting
room as we rarely use the gas fire in front of the backboiler and would
happily substitute an electric powered equivalent.