Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark

Default opinions on boiler

Planning to replace my old combi with a new boiler.
I plan to use a Vaillant Ecomax 635e system boiler hooked up to a
250litre unvented cylinder.
Im thinking about using a weather compensator:

http://tinyurl.com/qre3a

Anybody got one?
Any opinions on how good/bad/indifferent this boiler is?

--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:19:18 +0000, mark
wrote:

Planning to replace my old combi with a new boiler.
I plan to use a Vaillant Ecomax 635e system boiler hooked up to a
250litre unvented cylinder.
Im thinking about using a weather compensator:

http://tinyurl.com/qre3a

Anybody got one?
Any opinions on how good/bad/indifferent this boiler is?

I can't comment on that boiler specifically, but I do have one (MAN
Micromat) with a weather compensator based on the same principle of
monitoring the outside temperature and adjusting the boiler output to
match.

It works very well in terms of maintaining the set temperatures in the
house without needing to cycle the boiler on and off.
For example, I noticed this afternoon that there was a drop in
temperature of about 2 degrees over quite a short time. The boiler
had been poodling along at about 5kW output across the middle of the
day, but began increasing output as it became colder.

The room thermostat is also "analogue" in behaviour in that it will
indicate temperature changes to the boiler, again modulating it rather
than cycling it. This results in very constant temperatures -
typically under half a degree of variation. I notice from the
brochure that the Vaillant one has this feature as well. Again I'd
say worthwhile.

I also have the same thing for the hot water cylinder - i.e. an
analogue sensor rather than strap on thermostat. This fits into a
pocket in the cylinder. With this, the boiler switches to hot water
mode when the temperature is 5 degrees below the set point
(adjustable) and then modulates down at the end of the burn to avoid
overshoot and higher temperature than the set point. This is nice,
but I think not as important as the other two.

One comment that I would make is that if you are going to go for a
large cylinder and 35kW boiler, do make sure that the cylinder is a
fast recovery type - not just a part L1 model. Otherwise you will
find that during HW recovery, the boiler may well modulate down to
half to 2/3 output if the heat isn't transferred fast enough. Most of
the major manufacturers have these - e.g. Albion cylinders. etc.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark

In message , Andy Hall
writes

One comment that I would make is that if you are going to go for a
large cylinder and 35kW boiler, do make sure that the cylinder is a
fast recovery type - not just a part L1 model. Otherwise you will
find that during HW recovery, the boiler may well modulate down to
half to 2/3 output if the heat isn't transferred fast enough. Most of
the major manufacturers have these - e.g. Albion cylinders. etc.

RMC Ultrasteel; I believe they are fast recovery.
--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark

In message , mark
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes

One comment that I would make is that if you are going to go for a
large cylinder and 35kW boiler, do make sure that the cylinder is a
fast recovery type - not just a part L1 model. Otherwise you will
find that during HW recovery, the boiler may well modulate down to
half to 2/3 output if the heat isn't transferred fast enough. Most of
the major manufacturers have these - e.g. Albion cylinders. etc.

RMC Ultrasteel; I believe they are fast recovery.

OK so no opinions on the boiler then

More food for thought.
rcm say that the cylinder will reheat in 28 minutes given 21kw of input.
My calculations indicate I need about 14kw, sedbuk site says 22kw (!!!)
I plan to have a y plan type diverter and I'd put up with the odd
occasion that I'd need the cylinder re heated from scratch for 28
minutes.

Does this mean I could go for a smaller boiler?
I could use a 622e as this pumps out 22.4 kw or is this too small a
margin?

--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:38:13 +0000, mark
wrote:

In message , mark
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes

One comment that I would make is that if you are going to go for a
large cylinder and 35kW boiler, do make sure that the cylinder is a
fast recovery type - not just a part L1 model. Otherwise you will
find that during HW recovery, the boiler may well modulate down to
half to 2/3 output if the heat isn't transferred fast enough. Most of
the major manufacturers have these - e.g. Albion cylinders. etc.

RMC Ultrasteel; I believe they are fast recovery.

OK so no opinions on the boiler then

More food for thought.
rcm say that the cylinder will reheat in 28 minutes given 21kw of input.
My calculations indicate I need about 14kw, sedbuk site says 22kw (!!!)

How did you do the sums for the heating? Did you take into account
air changes?

If you mean that SEDBUK says 22kW for a house of a given type, that's
pretty meaningless. It's about as useful as the leaflets in B&Q
which tell you to measure the room, add a fiddle factor and multiply
by aunty's telephone number.

There are a number of web sites around that purport to do the sums -
these seem highly variable.

The only two methods I would trust are

- Radiator manufacturer calculator programs (e.g. Myson, Barlo - I
have the Myson one if you want it) but check the U values they use
with those in the Building Regulations Approved Documents and other
sources.

- Calculator or spreadsheey and do the sums by hand.

I plan to have a y plan type diverter and I'd put up with the odd
occasion that I'd need the cylinder re heated from scratch for 28
minutes.

28 mins reheat is not super-fast and you could get better than that if
you wanted it.

Remember that if the boiler is reheating the cylinder then the house
will begin to cool - more rapidly if not well insulated. If you have
any rooms where there is a particularly large heat loss because of
exterior walls and large window areas then you will notice more
quickly.

Does this mean I could go for a smaller boiler?
I could use a 622e as this pumps out 22.4 kw or is this too small a
margin?

It doesn't matter for the cylinder. It would be OK for the house if
it really is 14kW.

Both boilers will modulate, although curiously, the 635E goes from
10.5 to 35kW, whereas the 622E is from 13.4 to 22.4kW at 80/60
operation.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"mark" wrote in message

Planning to replace my old combi with a new boiler.
I plan to use a Vaillant Ecomax 635e system boiler hooked up to a 250litre
unvented cylinder.

Avoid an unvenetd cylinder.
http://www.waterheaterblast.com

You also need an annual service for an unvented cylinder and that
cost...just to store a cylinder of hot water. Fit a heat bank. Same price
but better all around...and safer. Do a google on this groups and
"Pandora".

The boiler is good. Try the Glow Worm condensing range. Vaillants inside
(same company) but cheaper....and very quiet.
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp

Im thinking about using a weather compensator:

http://tinyurl.com/qre3a

Anybody got one?
Any opinions on how good/bad/indifferent this boiler is?

The weather compensator is worth it. Also zone off the CH upstairs and have
a stat/clock on downstairs and upstairs. That will save a hell of a lot of
gas not heating parts of the house unnecessarily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:38:13 +0000, mark
wrote:

In message , mark
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes

[...]

The Glow Worm HXi 30 (Made by Valliant) goes from ~5kW to 30kW. Mate this
to a heat bank and Voila!!! Mate it to an integrated heat bank and have the
CH off the store in two zones (a flow and return on the store for each zone)
and an optimised stat/programmer on each zone and you will not be
disappointed. May as well do it properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark

In message , Andy Hall
writes
If you mean that SEDBUK says 22kW for a house of a given type, that's
pretty meaningless. It's about as useful as the leaflets in B&Q
which tell you to measure the room, add a fiddle factor and multiply
by aunty's telephone number.

I did wonder..........

There are a number of web sites around that purport to do the sums -
these seem highly variable.

The only two methods I would trust are

- Radiator manufacturer calculator programs (e.g. Myson, Barlo - I
have the Myson one if you want it) but check the U values they use
with those in the Building Regulations Approved Documents and other
sources.

I think I do have one of these somewhere; pretty tedious as I recall.
Perhaps I will impose on you if I can't find my copy ?

- Calculator or spreadsheey and do the sums by hand.

I could do them as well
Again it gets pretty tedious

I plan to have a y plan type diverter and I'd put up with the odd
occasion that I'd need the cylinder re heated from scratch for 28
minutes.

28 mins reheat is not super-fast and you could get better than that if
you wanted it.

Hmmm.I shall look into that...

Remember that if the boiler is reheating the cylinder then the house
will begin to cool - more rapidly if not well insulated. If you have
any rooms where there is a particularly large heat loss because of
exterior walls and large window areas then you will notice more
quickly.

Does this mean I could go for a smaller boiler?
I could use a 622e as this pumps out 22.4 kw or is this too small a
margin?

It doesn't matter for the cylinder. It would be OK for the house if
it really is 14kW.

Both boilers will modulate, although curiously, the 635E goes from
10.5 to 35kW, whereas the 622E is from 13.4 to 22.4kW at 80/60
operation.

More sums then
--
Mark Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:00:40 +0000, mark
wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

Either way, you do need to make sure that you have correct U values
for the different materials used in the construction of the house -
especially external walls and roof - these make the largest difference
to the outcome usually. The other is to make reasonable allowances
for air changes. There are standard figures for different room types.
If you have an older property or a draughty one, then allow a bit more
there.

If you want the Myson program, drop me a mail. (andyh at hall dot gl)

I plan to have a y plan type diverter and I'd put up with the odd
occasion that I'd need the cylinder re heated from scratch for 28
minutes.

28 mins reheat is not super-fast and you could get better than that if
you wanted it.

Hmmm.I shall look into that...

Albion is one vendor, but most have one.

Remember that if the boiler is reheating the cylinder then the house
will begin to cool - more rapidly if not well insulated. If you have
any rooms where there is a particularly large heat loss because of
exterior walls and large window areas then you will notice more
quickly.

Does this mean I could go for a smaller boiler?
I could use a 622e as this pumps out 22.4 kw or is this too small a
margin?

It doesn't matter for the cylinder. It would be OK for the house if
it really is 14kW.

Both boilers will modulate, although curiously, the 635E goes from
10.5 to 35kW, whereas the 622E is from 13.4 to 22.4kW at 80/60
operation.

More sums then

There are boilers on the market which will go to a lower output. 7kW
is fairly common now and you can get down to 3-4kW but these tend to
be more expensive.

The advantage is that they will cycle less frequently and that does
save some energy.

If you are doing this renewal exercise, you could also consider
running the system at 70degrees/50 degrees rather than the
conventional 82/70. This can be done anyway in spring and autumn
by turning down the boiler thermostat. You will enable the boiler to
operate at a better place on the efficiency curve. Basically
efficiency improves with reducing return temperature and below the dew
point (about 54 degrees) condensing takes place and the rate of
improvement of efficiency with reducing return temperature increases.
There isn't a magic step change when condensing happens as some people
think.

If you want to improve efficiency in general, you could look at
designing radiator outputs to match the heat losses at 70/50 rather
than 82/70. Radiator manufacturers publish a table of correction
factors which are applied to get true output for a given mean water
temperature (i.e. (flow + return) /2) and air temperatures. The
nominal figures are based on an EN standard testing method using 90
degrees. The practical effect is that for a room at 20 degrees and
82/70 operation, the factor to be applied is 0.9. For 70/50 it's
about 0.6. In other words, if you drop the temperature, you need the
radiators to have about a third more output.

I did this exercise when I upgraded my system. I checked each room
and its radiator and found that several were oversized and could be
left alone, some were moved to different places, and three were
replaced with double panel where they hadn't been before. It was a
reasonably painless exercise when they were all removed for flushing
anyway.

The effect is that in spring and autumn, my system will drop to around
40 degrees flow and in winter, seldom exceeds 60 degrees.

Obviously YMMV depending on whether the radiators were oversized in
the first place.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message

There are boilers on the market
which will go to a lower output. 7kW
is fairly common now and you can get
down to 3-4kW but these tend to
be more expensive.

Matt, the Glow Worm goes down to 5kW and it is far from expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:38:13 +0000, mark
wrote:

In message , mark
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

Andy, any chance you could send me the Myson one? My e-mail address is
real.

Cheers,
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:22:31 +0000, Richard Conway
wrote:

Andy, any chance you could send me the Myson one? My e-mail address is
real.

Cheers,
Richard

On its way

--

..andy

Sime boiler, year old, never worked properly Tricky UK diy 3 December 1st 05 07:56 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM