Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default "Court Dresser" finish damage.

I've a "piece of furniture" belonging to someone else, which I'm
supposed to be keeping until they buy a larger house. It's described
as a "court dresser", and looks vaguely similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...c k4you.co.uk

Unfortunately, a Small Boy has scratched it with something. The
scratches haven't scored the timber, but have marred the somewhat
matt finish. The thing seems to be made of pale wood, with a dark
stain or varnish on top. The varnish is prone to flake, and it's
flaked off where the scratches are. I don't think it's shellac.
Neither does it appear to be polyurethane. This piece of furniture
may have been made between the '50s and '70s, as fas as my limited
knowledge of things like this goes.

What might this varnish be? How to repair it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:48:09 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Blah blah blah

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
I've a "piece of furniture" belonging to someone else, which I'm
supposed to be keeping until they buy a larger house. It's described
as a "court dresser", and looks vaguely similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...c k4you.co.uk

Unfortunately, a Small Boy has scratched it with something. The
scratches haven't scored the timber, but have marred the somewhat
matt finish. The thing seems to be made of pale wood, with a dark
stain or varnish on top. The varnish is prone to flake, and it's
flaked off where the scratches are. I don't think it's shellac.
Neither does it appear to be polyurethane. This piece of furniture
may have been made between the '50s and '70s, as fas as my limited
knowledge of things like this goes.

What might this varnish be? How to repair it?

Best fess up to the friend (see how good a friend they are) and hope
the insurance pay for it.

MBQ

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Textured finish for sub-bass cabinet Neil Jowsey UK diy 5 July 20th 04 07:23 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
satin finish on Stainless steel radiator... Jon Nicoll UK diy 1 April 4th 04 09:32 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM