Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

Default Two lamps, one plug

Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"RatRibs73" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

You can; but IMHO since additional devices like table lamps are considered
to be modular, it's best for each to have its own 75p plug fused at 1Amp,
and both would share a wall socket via a 2- or 3-way adaptor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On 28 Feb 2006 02:32:46 -0800, "RatRibs73" wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

Cut the molded plugs off, and wire both into your own self fit plug.

This is probably outlawed by 2 Jags, and will get the sparkies up in
arms with pages of stuff about the fact you will die if you do it.

But hey many people do this sort of thing.

I am NOT recommending that you do this, just explaining how it can be
done.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

Rick wrote:
On 28 Feb 2006 02:32:46 -0800, "RatRibs73" wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

Cut the molded plugs off, and wire both into your own self fit plug.

This is probably outlawed by 2 Jags, and will get the sparkies up in
arms with pages of stuff about the fact you will die if you do it.

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

But hey many people do this sort of thing.

I am NOT recommending that you do this, just explaining how it can be
done.

I reckon there must be an accepted way of doing it. Just thinking about
these tall floor standing lamps you can get from IKEA, some of those
have 3 bulbs so they must be connected in some way. Could I use some
sort of a connector between a lamp switch and the two lamps?

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Rick wrote:
On 28 Feb 2006 02:32:46 -0800, "RatRibs73" wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

Cut the molded plugs off, and wire both into your own self fit plug.

This is probably outlawed by 2 Jags, and will get the sparkies up in
arms with pages of stuff about the fact you will die if you do it.

But hey many people do this sort of thing.

I am NOT recommending that you do this, just explaining how it can be
done.

Rick

My Dad used to be obsessed with doing this. Really annoying as whenever
you wanted to move something like a radio from one room to another you'd
find that it had a lamp or something attached to it!

The other thing he used to do was drill holes in shelves and things,
take the plug off an appliance, push the flex through the hole and
re-attach the plug. You came to move something and found that you had
to take the plug off!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

RatRibs73 wrote:
Rick wrote:
[...]

Could you not just use a two way extension lead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 28 Feb 2006 04:17:12 -0800, RatRibs73 wrote:

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

Providing you fuse it for the lower capacity flex, what's the problem?
--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

Want to X10 it so I can dim them both together....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On 28 Feb 2006 04:17:12 -0800, RatRibs73 wrote:

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

Providing you fuse it for the lower capacity flex, what's the problem?
--
Nigel M

That's what I'm asking - how to do it!

What fuse rating would you use and how would you join together?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

My Dad used to be obsessed with doing this. Really annoying as whenever
you wanted to move something like a radio from one room to another you'd
find that it had a lamp or something attached to it!

So having the washing machine and tv wired to the same plug is a bad
idea? Damn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

RatRibs73 wrote:
Want to X10 it so I can dim them both together....

Would still work
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On 28 Feb 2006 04:17:12 -0800, RatRibs73 wrote:

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

Providing you fuse it for the lower capacity flex, what's the problem?

Its usually a mechanical problem..
you need to ensure the cord grip holds both of them securely which isn't
always that easy.

Just pop into poundland and buy a two way adapter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RatRibs73 wrote:
Hi,

Is there any way of wiring two table lamps together so that they can
share a common plug/switch?

The lights will always be on together so makes sense to join them

Cheers,
Matt

If the flexes are the same size or close, just put both in one plug.
Ensure the cordgrip grips both securely. End of problem. Perfectly
safe.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RatRibs73

Would it? Brill, I'll give that a go. Cheers!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 28 Feb 2006 04:38:04 -0800 someone who may be "RatRibs73"
wrote this:-

Want to X10 it so I can dim them both together....

Use a two-way adapter/socket, so you can separate them easily. there
used to be (and probably still are) small multi-way adapters that
take much smaller plugs. Although intended for audio use these might
be suitable for your table lamps.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote this:-

Want to X10 it so I can dim them both together....

Use a two-way adapter/socket, so you can separate them easily. there
used to be (and probably still are) small multi-way adapters that
take much smaller plugs. Although intended for audio use these might
be suitable for your table lamps.

How about one of these four flex plugs made for the job?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lug&d oy=28m2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
dennis@home wrote:

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On 28 Feb 2006 04:17:12 -0800, RatRibs73 wrote:

I did consider wiring into one plug but considered it a bit dodgy.

Providing you fuse it for the lower capacity flex, what's the problem?

Its usually a mechanical problem..
you need to ensure the cord grip holds both of them securely which isn't
always that easy.

A couple of zip ties would sort that out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 28 Feb 2006 04:41:49 -0800, RatRibs73 wrote:

What fuse rating would you use and how would you join together?

A 3A fuse, as before. Twist the wires together, then wire as normal.
Make sure the cord grip grips both wires.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:45:48 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

How about one of these four flex plugs made for the job?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lug&d oy=28m2

"Enables 4 items up to a total load of 3120W to be connected into one
plug"

Bloody dangerous!

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:45:48 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

How about one of these four flex plugs made for the job?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lug&d oy=28m2

"Enables 4 items up to a total load of 3120W to be connected into one
plug"

Bloody dangerous!

Why?
Do you think you may trip over the cables?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:45:48 GMT someone who may be "dennis@home"
wrote this:-

How about one of these four flex plugs made for the job?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lug&d oy=28m2

It is an option, but does not allow the lamps to be separated
easily. Table lamps tend to be moved around and so separation may be
useful.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:00:11 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

"Enables 4 items up to a total load of 3120W to be connected into one
plug"

Bloody dangerous!

Why?
Do you think you may trip over the cables?

Because it implies that you can safely connect four appliances, that
should be fused at 3A or 5A, but fit a 13A fuse.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:00:11 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

"Enables 4 items up to a total load of 3120W to be connected into one
plug"

Bloody dangerous!

Why?
Do you think you may trip over the cables?

Because it implies that you can safely connect four appliances, that
should be fused at 3A or 5A, but fit a 13A fuse.

which isnt dangerous.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 1 Mar 2006 06:33:17 -0800, wrote:

Because it implies that you can safely connect four appliances, that
should be fused at 3A or 5A, but fit a 13A fuse.

which isnt dangerous.

Don't be so bloody stupid, of course it's dangerous.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
All appliances are designed to be safe when on a 13A fuse. It is a
legal requirement for appliances.

Nonsense. What about the flex?

Assuming a short circuit situation, the sort of lengths you're likely to
get with table lamps will blow a 13 amp fuse.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:07:58 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Assuming a short circuit situation, the sort of lengths you're likely to
get with table lamps will blow a 13 amp fuse.

This isn't just about table lamps, it's about combining different
appliances in one plug and fusing at 13A.

If this was sensible, plugs would be sold with 13A fuses, unlike the
current situation where the buyer has the right to insist on a 3A one.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:07:58 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Assuming a short circuit situation, the sort of lengths you're likely to
get with table lamps will blow a 13 amp fuse.

This isn't just about table lamps, it's about combining different
appliances in one plug and fusing at 13A.

If this was sensible, plugs would be sold with 13A fuses, unlike the
current situation where the buyer has the right to insist on a 3A one.

the way of the world eh

NT