Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Rocking bath taps

I just went to fit the taps to a new bath but when the nut is tight the
taps will rock for/aft; presumably the underside of the bath top has a
slope. Is there a standard way of dealing with this without having to
faff about with homemade wedges?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I just went to fit the taps to a new bath but when the nut is tight the
taps will rock for/aft; presumably the underside of the bath top has a
slope. Is there a standard way of dealing with this without having to
faff about with homemade wedges?

Dave

Sounds odd. Take the taps out and make sure the nuts run all the way
along the threads without snags. Otherwise the flange on the fixing
nuts is snagging on the sloped part. Either try shifting the taps
around the holes or trim the flange a bit (as a last resort!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
I just went to fit the taps to a new bath but when the nut is tight the
taps will rock for/aft; presumably the underside of the bath top has a
slope. Is there a standard way of dealing with this without having to faff
about with homemade wedges?

Dave

Oh - what a disappointment! I imagined a bath which rocked! I did wonder how
deep you could have the water to prevent spillage and if you felt
sea-sick...

Perhaps I should get out more.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Dave wrote:

I've just rechecked, the problem is definitely the slope. I really need
a washer with a slope on it.

Cut yourself some lead washers. Bend some lead flashing in half and
drill through with a suitable spade bit then trim them down, to suit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Dave wrote:

I've just rechecked, the problem is definitely the slope. I really need
a washer with a slope on it.

Cut yourself some lead washers. Bend some lead flashing in half and
drill through with a suitable spade bit then trim them down, to suit.

Thanks, 'interesting idea.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry

I just went to fit the taps to a new bath but when the nut is tight the
taps will rock for/aft; presumably the underside of the bath top has a
slope. Is there a standard way of dealing with this without having to
faff about with homemade wedges?

Dave

Dont faff around with lead washers etc. If the slope is on the
underside of the bath make a spacer by finding a piece of pipe that
will fit over the tap threads. Cut one end to suit the slope of the
bath and the other end square. Dont make it too long. About half the
length of the threaded portion will do. Tighten all in place using
rubber washers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Merryterry wrote:
I just went to fit the taps to a new bath but when the nut is tight the
taps will rock for/aft; presumably the underside of the bath top has a
slope. Is there a standard way of dealing with this without having to
faff about with homemade wedges?

Dave

Dont faff around with lead washers etc. If the slope is on the
underside of the bath make a spacer by finding a piece of pipe that
will fit over the tap threads. Cut one end to suit the slope of the
bath and the other end square. Dont make it too long. About half the
length of the threaded portion will do. Tighten all in place using
rubber washers.

.... another excellent idea. Thanks!

Dave

How do I replace bath taps with a mixer tap? [email protected] UK diy 4 November 26th 05 06:05 PM
Removing bath taps, how!? [email protected] UK diy 16 December 6th 04 09:53 AM
Bath Taps wont fit? a UK diy 4 September 7th 04 12:07 AM
Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM
Globe bath taps questions Steve UK diy 1 September 11th 03 11:46 PM