Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker

Default Lifespan of radiators

What's the expected life of normal flat panels rads with A) inhibitor in the
system and B) without?
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:15:13 +0000, Dave Baker wrote:

What's the expected life of normal flat panels rads with A) inhibitor in the
system and B) without?

A) Indefinite. More likely to go out of fashion, or the technology
over-taken or receive too many coats of paint.

B) Depends on the corrosion regimen. Anything from 10 years upwards.
With a normal header tank, no inhibitor and correct plumbing I'd guess at
least 25 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker

Ed Sirett wrote in message
news
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:15:13 +0000, Dave Baker wrote:

What's the expected life of normal flat panels rads with A) inhibitor in

the
system and B) without?

A) Indefinite. More likely to go out of fashion, or the technology
over-taken or receive too many coats of paint.

B) Depends on the corrosion regimen. Anything from 10 years upwards.
With a normal header tank, no inhibitor and correct plumbing I'd guess at
least 25 years.

Thanks. That pretty much squares with what's happening her just now. The
rads were installed an unknown number of years before I bought the place 19
years ago and no inhibitor in the system for 19 years because there's always
been that one drip somewhere I need to fix before adding it. Result, one rad
rusted through a few years ago and another just gone today. I think I'd have
been well advised to have fixed the leaks and added the inhibitor but you
never seem to get a roundtuit when you need one. Chances are that all the
other rads are now paper thin so lack of inhibitor has probably cost me a
grand or so. C'est la vie.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:15:13 +0000, Dave Baker wrote:

What's the expected life of normal flat panels rads with A) inhibitor in
the
system and B) without?

A) Indefinite. More likely to go out of fashion, or the technology
over-taken or receive too many coats of paint.

B) Depends on the corrosion regimen. Anything from 10 years upwards.

I have seen them go after 10 years in London with no inhibitor from new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

With no inhibitor, it depends when they were purchased.
If they're over 40 years old, they'll last pretty much forever.
At 35-40 years old, they seem to last about 25 years.
As they get more recent (and thinner), radiators purchased
10 years ago lasted only 5 years.

This is based on my parents' 50 year old system which has been
extended a number of times over the years, and never had any
inhibitor until just recently. None of the original panel
raditors have shown any sign of starting to leak (their only
problem is they look rather ugly compared with the more recent
ones).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker

I didn't realise how cheap rads were from Screwfix. I could replace every
one in the house for under 300 quid. Seems like the lack of inhibitor is not
such a financial disaster after all
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:17:58 +0000, Richard Conway
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It seems from previous posts that most of the mishaps happen to single
panel ones rather than the doubles if that's any help.
None at all - I'll have to start a new thread on unbending single panel
radiators methinks

Oh dear. Well hopefully you'll be the exception...... :-)

Maybe I could turn it into a feature or something

Possibly. I suppose it would depend on the "customisation".

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It seems from previous posts that most of the mishaps happen to single
panel ones rather than the doubles if that's any help.
None at all - I'll have to start a new thread on unbending single panel
radiators methinks

Oh dear. Well hopefully you'll be the exception...... :-)

Maybe I could turn it into a feature or something

Possibly. I suppose it would depend on the "customisation".

I'll check eBay for some pimped up radiator covers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It seems from previous posts that most of the mishaps happen to
single
panel ones rather than the doubles if that's any help.
None at all - I'll have to start a new thread on unbending single
panel radiators methinks

Oh dear. Well hopefully you'll be the exception...... :-)
Maybe I could turn it into a feature or something

Possibly. I suppose it would depend on the "customisation".

I'll check eBay for some pimped up radiator covers

You dont happen to have a curved wall do you?? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Cuprager wrote:
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It seems from previous posts that most of the mishaps happen to
single
panel ones rather than the doubles if that's any help.
None at all - I'll have to start a new thread on unbending single
panel radiators methinks

Oh dear. Well hopefully you'll be the exception...... :-)
Maybe I could turn it into a feature or something

Possibly. I suppose it would depend on the "customisation".

I'll check eBay for some pimped up radiator covers

You dont happen to have a curved wall do you?? :-)

If I did, what would the chances be that the delivery chaps would bend
it in the right direction?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker

Sponix wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:50:17 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Dave Baker" Dave wrote in message
om...
I didn't realise how cheap rads were from Screwfix. I could replace

every
one in the house for under 300 quid. Seems like the lack of inhibitor

is
not
such a financial disaster after all

All you have to do is spend £10-15 on a 1 litre can and pour it in the
header tanks every 4 years. Then no probs whatsoever. Any dope can do
that, and it far less than £300 and you also have to buy rads valves too.
Buy cheap and nasty valves is false economy.

Even less than that. Inhibitor is a tenner in Wickes..£7 from Screwfix
iirc so there really is no excuse.

As I said in the original post. There's always been one leak somewhere or
other that needed fixing before it was worth putting the inhibitor in. I
actually bought a gallon of inhibitor shortly after I bought the house and
it's been sitting in the garage for 19 years waiting to go in the tank. Then
a TRV started to drip. Drained down and fixed that then another one went
followed by a couple of rad valves. Then the immersion tank sprank a leak.
Soldered that as a temporary fix but realised a couple of stop valves in the
system no longer closed water tight when everything was drained down so
thought it best to replace those when I got a roundtuit before using
inhibitor as again it would all have to be drained down.

Then I came home one day to find a nice man in a van had left me a new
immersion tank with the next door neighbours and a note through my door. Who
it was actually meant for I have no idea but it was most timely and saved me
a bundle. They never came back for it anyway. Fitted that with a mate after
some rearrangement of the piping to suit the different tank and every bloody
compression joint we had to work on ****ed out water when I filled the
system back up. No amount of tape, gloop or silicone sealant made a scrap of
difference. Even the cap on the tank where the immersion coil goes leaked
water despite firstly just using the gasket it came with and secondly trying
that plus sealant. Maybe we're just cack handed but I've never struggled
with a compression joint before and he's just installed a complete heating
system in his own house with no problems. Fortunately the water in this area
is so hard it headbuts you if you try to drink it so the limescale
eventually blocks minor leaks if you're prepared to wait a while

Anyway. In the meantime the three 2 way zone valves which the previous owner
had installed to be able to control upstairs heat, downstairs heat and hot
water separately had one by one either jammed or started leaking or both. I
took the motors off them, replaced one with a stop valve and handle the
system manually now with a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner. It'll do
until the immersion tank gets moved as part of the renovations and I fit a
new zoning arrangement.

Then there's Bessie the boiler which sprank a leak from the steam vent at
the back a few years ago, again last year because the washer I'd been
supplied with to fix it was the wrong size and now having got that right
she's dribbling incontinently from a side cover.

So that's my sorry story of a central heating system which has usually
worked but generally leaked and never been quite right enough to not need
draining down at some point in the near future. I suppose with hindsight it
might have been better to just keep putting new inhibitor in every time I
had to fix something but never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
I reckon.

On the bright side it's probably quicker and easier to whack new rads in at
£30 a pop than try and flush them, sand them down, paint them and put them
back again. They're all pretty manky now, even the ones that don't leak.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk