Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Lewis

Default Grouting Mosaic effect Tiles

We have had soem mosaic effect tiles put up in the bathroom. They are 8"
tiles with a 10 x 10 grid of 'fake' mosaic tiles on them.

What is the best way of grouting? Is to to only grout in between the full 8"
tiles or is it to try and filll the fake grout lines also to ensure an even
look?

So thats it. Do i grout the whole thing or just the 8" squares where the
gaps are?

Thanks

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David P

If the fake grout lines are glazed, then you wont be able to apply
grout to them successfully. If they are not glazed you will need to
grout them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So thats it. Do i grout the whole thing or just the 8" squares where the
gaps are?

The whole thing, usually. However, if the channels are shallow, you may find
it difficult to change the grout "colour", so you may be required to use
white grout to avoid patchiness. If the channels are deep, or continuous to
a webbed backing, then this is not an issue.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Lewis

"David P" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the fake grout lines are glazed, then you wont be able to apply
grout to them successfully. If they are not glazed you will need to
grout them.

They are not glazed. Looks like a full grout is neede then!

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Christopher Lewis wrote:

We have had soem mosaic effect tiles put up in the bathroom. They are 8"
tiles with a 10 x 10 grid of 'fake' mosaic tiles on them.

What is the best way of grouting? Is to to only grout in between the full 8"
tiles or is it to try and filll the fake grout lines also to ensure an even
look?

So thats it. Do i grout the whole thing or just the 8" squares where the
gaps are?

BTSTGTTS ;-)

The only way I could find to do it was to grout the fake lines as well.
If you don't, you end up with lots of snotty bits of grout stuck in all
the fake lines near the actual grout lines.

On the positive side the grouted fake lines showed no indication of not
staying put.

Use a rubber faced grout float, and expect to use copious amounts of
grout. Once done (if you have the tiles spaced correctly) the real grout
lines should be indistinguishable from the fake ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

John Rumm wrote:

The only way I could find to do it was to grout the fake lines as well.
If you don't, you end up with lots of snotty bits of grout stuck in all
the fake lines near the actual grout lines.

On the positive side the grouted fake lines showed no indication of not
staying put.

Use a rubber faced grout float, and expect to use copious amounts of
grout. Once done (if you have the tiles spaced correctly) the real grout
lines should be indistinguishable from the fake ones.

All you have to do then is keep them clean and dry ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TonyK

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

The only way I could find to do it was to grout the fake lines as well.
If you don't, you end up with lots of snotty bits of grout stuck in all
the fake lines near the actual grout lines.

On the positive side the grouted fake lines showed no indication of not
staying put.

Use a rubber faced grout float, and expect to use copious amounts of
grout. Once done (if you have the tiles spaced correctly) the real grout
lines should be indistinguishable from the fake ones.

All you have to do then is keep them clean and dry ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Whats the betting the 8" tiles have been spaced and will stand out a mile
afterwards because the grout between the tiles will be wider than the
mosiac?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

John Rumm wrote:

BTSTGTTS ;-)

Shouldn't that be BTDTGTTS? Or am I missing something?

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The Medway Handyman wrote:

BTSTGTTS ;-)

Shouldn't that be BTDTGTTS? Or am I missing something?

:-)

Well to be fair it was a bit of both (ST=Seen That Vs. DT=Done That) - I
grouted some, worked out there was no chance of making a neat job of
just grouting the actual grout lines, and so grouted a few square yards
all over, and left my mate to finish the rest of the blasted things!
(well it was his kitchen!) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mosaic Tiles alexbartman UK diy 4 April 19th 05 12:10 PM
How to replace a shower when I don't have matching tiles Richard Hamer UK diy 7 January 9th 05 07:10 PM
fitting mosaic tiles? John Stumbles UK diy 2 May 19th 04 10:08 AM
Small ensuite shower room - mosaic tiles pros & cons SC UK diy 6 August 21st 03 11:45 AM
Cutting mosaic effect tiles Steve UK diy 1 August 12th 03 06:18 PM