Posted to uk.d-i-y
SFlitcroft

Default Gas boiler fired aga

Hi everyone,

I am halfway through a project where I'm building my own gas-fired aga.
Basically, it consists of an old gas fired boiler (Potterton) which I
have mounted at floor level at the base of a wall in the kitchen. I
have then got my friend who works in iron-casting to create a bespoke
shaped carcass which fits over the top of the boiler.

I am hoping that by using an air pump (think inflatable matress), I can
pass enough air through the boiler to sufficiently heat the "aga".

My question to the group is whether I need any extra ventilation other
than a standard flue for this project? I am guessing that the pumping
of air into the boiler will mean less carbon monoxide build up - but I
could be wrong.

Any advice much appreciated.

TIA

Seymour

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com,
SFlitcroft writes
Hi everyone,

I am halfway through a project where I'm building my own gas-fired aga.
Basically, it consists of an old gas fired boiler (Potterton) which I
have mounted at floor level at the base of a wall in the kitchen. I
have then got my friend who works in iron-casting to create a bespoke
shaped carcass which fits over the top of the boiler.

I am hoping that by using an air pump (think inflatable matress), I can
pass enough air through the boiler to sufficiently heat the "aga".

My question to the group is whether I need any extra ventilation other
than a standard flue for this project? I am guessing that the pumping
of air into the boiler will mean less carbon monoxide build up - but I
could be wrong.

Sounds dangerous and illegal to me.

Actually the amount of air you'd be forcing through would mean that the
air / gas ratio would fall outside that which would sustain combustion

Assuming this isn't a trolling, of course ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

Maxie, this is clearly a troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"SFlitcroft" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I am halfway through a project where I'm building my own gas-fired aga.

Take a read of the various gas safety, installation and use legislation and
the need for type approval etc etc etc. Then abandon the idea!

Basically, it consists of an old gas fired boiler (Potterton) which I
have mounted at floor level at the base of a wall in the kitchen. I
have then got my friend who works in iron-casting to create a bespoke
shaped carcass which fits over the top of the boiler.

I am hoping that by using an air pump (think inflatable matress), I can
pass enough air through the boiler to sufficiently heat the "aga".

My question to the group is whether I need any extra ventilation other
than a standard flue for this project? I am guessing that the pumping
of air into the boiler will mean less carbon monoxide build up - but I
could be wrong.

Very wrong indeed. Forced draught burners can be extremely dangerous in the
wrong hands. For example an indistrial blown gas burner can, with only a
very minor tweak of the air adjustment to either side of optimum, become a
really serious Carbon monoxide generator. Under air = CO, over air = CO
Drop the idea now before you or your family need measuring up for a wooden
suit.

Any advice much appreciated.

See above

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:22:16 -0800, SFlitcroft wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am halfway through a project where I'm building my own gas-fired aga.
Basically, it consists of an old gas fired boiler (Potterton) which I
have mounted at floor level at the base of a wall in the kitchen. I
have then got my friend who works in iron-casting to create a bespoke
shaped carcass which fits over the top of the boiler.

I am hoping that by using an air pump (think inflatable matress), I can
pass enough air through the boiler to sufficiently heat the "aga".

My question to the group is whether I need any extra ventilation other
than a standard flue for this project? I am guessing that the pumping
of air into the boiler will mean less carbon monoxide build up - but I
could be wrong.

Any advice much appreciated.

Competent DIY gas fitting is legal.
DIY gas appliance manufacture isn't.

New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Oil fired boiler bearing ? Steve J UK diy 2 January 31st 05 11:10 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM