Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Where/how to fit a hearth

okay,okay, so the obvious is "in front of the fireplace" :-)

We've just had an engineered wood floor laid (3mm oak veneer on 15mm
softwood substrate) and I removed the hearth before the floor was put down
to avoid the fitter using quadrant, or generally making a pigs ear of
cutting around it. The flooring covers the whole floor (including the part
where the hearth is going to be.

The hearth is sold 3" limestone (about 100kg) and I am in two minds weather
I should just pop the hearth down on the floor, or if I should mark out
where the hearth is going to be and carefully cut a section from the floor
so the hearth will drop in.

Pros of just popping on the floor is that it is minimum work, and no
precision cutting required; drawbacks are that it might not be safe (though
I can see how), but I am more concerned about the weigh of it warping the
floor over time

Cons of removing the section of floor to fit the hearth is that I then have
to make very neat and precise cuts (I am sure Saturday morning with the
router would be just fine) and that I am then susceptible to making a crap
job of it.

Any thoughts?

P.s. My last posting was about adhesives for skirting boards. I bought the
gripfil in the end, and it works an absolute treat, even holding it all in
place despite the wibbly-wobbly walls we have...

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Chris Styles wrote:

Pros of just popping on the floor is that it is minimum work, and
no precision cutting required; drawbacks are that it might not be
safe (though I can see how), but I am more concerned about the
weigh of it warping the floor over time

The point load (eg PSI) shouldn't be too high if it's weight is evenly
spread

Repairing a hearth [email protected] UK diy 0 February 14th 06 04:49 PM
reparing a hearth Griffo Home Repair 1 February 14th 06 03:17 PM
fireplace hearth lulu UK diy 6 February 28th 05 04:45 PM
Damaged constructional hearth Steve UK diy 0 September 25th 04 08:23 PM
Woodstove Hearth, Flush to Floor? John W. Wells Home Repair 10 July 31st 03 02:49 AM