Posted to uk.d-i-y
Speedcheese

Default Swimming Pool Resurfacing

I have a concrete/gunite pool which is now about 20-25 years old and in need
of some attention. The surface of the pool is showing signs of wear and
discolouration and it is no longer smooth. I am assuming it therefore needs
some form of resurfacing or relining. All other parts to the pool (lights,
coping stones etc) are in good order. It is a 10,000 gallon "kidney" shaped
pool, in ground.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to resurface ? I'm also
interested in pool liners and whether they would be suitable too. Has anyone
had any experience doing such a project and also what company or companies
they would recommend ?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Speedcheese wrote:

I have a concrete/gunite pool which is now about 20-25 years old and in need
of some attention. The surface of the pool is showing signs of wear and
discolouration and it is no longer smooth.

Won't a complete drain of the pool and filling with clean water cure the
problem :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:39:31 -0000, Speedcheese wrote:

I have a concrete/gunite pool which is now about 20-25 years old and in need
of some attention. The surface of the pool is showing signs of wear and
discolouration and it is no longer smooth. I am assuming it therefore needs
some form of resurfacing or relining. All other parts to the pool (lights,
coping stones etc) are in good order. It is a 10,000 gallon "kidney" shaped
pool, in ground.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to resurface ?

Can't help with that, sorry.

I'm also
interested in pool liners and whether they would be suitable too.

Almost certainly yes. The coping slabs around the edge will need to be
lifted so that liner-loc can be fitted, and you may need some alterations
to fittings, but the pool company will advise you on this.

I've had a couple of liner pools, the outer skin of one was single skin
blockwork, the other a form of metal shuttering. You'll also need a thick
underlay - bit like carpet underlay - to act as cushioning for the liner.

The liner should last about 10 years, possibly a bit more if you don't have
unruly kids or dogs! Our current liner is coming up for 10 years, and it's
still got some life left in it yet.

Has anyone
had any experience doing such a project and also what company or companies
they would recommend ?

It's apparently quite common for liners to be installed over a tiled pool
when it's showing signs of wear. Your best bet would be to start with your
local Yellow Pages, and ask at least three or four local companies to quote
you for the work. Remember, you're paying for their travelling time if
they're based a long way off.

Ball park figures, I'd guess at something in the region of £5-£10K, and
that's strictly a guess. If you've got a pool, you'll already know that
nothing's cheap where swimming pools are concerned.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

Speedcheese wrote:
I have a concrete/gunite pool which is now about 20-25 years old and
in need of some attention. The surface of the pool is showing signs
of wear and discolouration and it is no longer smooth. I am assuming
it therefore needs some form of resurfacing or relining. All other
parts to the pool (lights, coping stones etc) are in good order. It
is a 10,000 gallon "kidney" shaped pool, in ground.

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to resurface ? I'm
also interested in pool liners and whether they would be suitable
too. Has anyone had any experience doing such a project and also what
company or companies they would recommend ?

Hi, I don't know anything about resurfacing pools, but we looked into
all the options last year when building a new pool. We considered
concrete with tiling, concrete with epoxy coating, and a liner. My
husband is a civil engineer turned builder and has experience in
reinforced concrete etc, so building to the right specs wasn't going to
be a problem whatever the construction. ISTR that epoxy coatings and
tiling all worked out at about 40 euro/sq metre, considerably more than
a liner, and the concrete construction would have been much more
difficult and more expensive to begin with. So....we went for the liner.
Our pool is rectangular 10m x 5m, 1.2 m deep with a hopper bottom going
down to 2.2m, with roman steps. Can't find the receipts etc just now,
dammit! Have a brochure though, and to give you an idea a liner for an
8m x 4m rectangular pool, 1.5m deep in 75/100 thickness is 630 euros and
in 85/100 thickness is 834 euros, inc VAT. Non standard shapes are made
to order and are slightly more expensive. 3m Roman steps 404 euro extra.
You need to give very accurate measurements. You also need to line the
pool first to protect the liner. We used glue on polystyrene on rolls on
the walls and a special underlay sort of stuff glued onto the floor. If
you have a kidney shaped pool you won't have any vertical internal
right-angled corners to worry about, but if you have a right-angled
corner where the walls meet the floor you will probably have to round
this off with sand and cement.

Fitting the liner was the one bit of the procedure we were concerned
about doing ourselves but it turned out to be easy, no reason you
couldn't DIY it if you have a few people, (preferably strong people!) to
help. You would need to remove the coping stones and make sure you have
a completely level base to fix on the hanging rails for the liner. Then
you drill and screw on the rails (we used the slightly more expensive
aluminium ones, you can also get plastic) - my 13 year old daughter did
most of this bit! Then you follow the instructions, unroll the liner,
preferably on a warm day (we got delayed with the sticking of the
membrane and polystyrene and ended up doing ours at midnight!) , hang it
from the edges and slowly fill with water, pulling the liner into
position as you go. You have to cut holes for your fittings, lights,
skimmers etc as you go, and depending on the fittings you already have
you may need to replace these if they are not compatible with liner
pools.

We got all our kit in France from www.zyke.fr. Have a google for
clearwater pools and hydrosud direct - I think both of those are in the
UK?

I;m in the process of adding a bit to the website about our family's DIY
pool, will post the link when it is finished. Or come here for your
holidays and you can pick our brains and test out the pool :-)

HTH, good luck!

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

I posted a whole load of links to Pool Kits & liners in the past ... do a
google for my name in uk.d-i-y archive
"Holly, in France" wrote in message
Speedcheese wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Wanderer, John Potter wrote:
Wow,
Its easy just have the pool shell fibreglassed, it will be like putting
a liner in the pool without holes in the future and will last a lifetime.
We have a company that does this to over 100 pools each year.
We come to the Uk each year too.
Look up Statewide Fibreglass on Facebook.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-330958-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 14:44:03 +0000, John Potter wrote:

replying to The Wanderer, John Potter wrote:
Wow,
Its easy just have the pool shell fibreglassed, it will be like
putting a liner in the pool without holes in the future and will last a
lifetime.
We have a company that does this to over 100 pools each year.
We come to the Uk each year too.
Look up Statewide Fibreglass on Facebook.

Wow indeed! Only taken you 12 years to add your advertising spam!

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes this is like a wall coat for underwater. It is actually very good I'm
told, but then I do not have a pool!
I know its that bloody silly web site interface again that seems to ignore
years and works on months only.
Brian

--
----- --