Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

Default Kitchen ceiling plaster board type ?

In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I have
removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or sound
deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ? Any
thoughts ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Ian_m wrote:

In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I have
removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or sound
deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ?

What time does the kitchen close?

It aught to have fireproof stuff though. The pink faced.

If you want a modicum of sound proofing use rolls of rockwool supported
temporarily in between the joists with string or somesuch. Most people
usually feed it up into the spaces a bit at a time but it is time
consuming and itchyfying to do it that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I have
removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

That's unusual!

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or sound
deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ? Any
thoughts ?

You could apply two layers of plasterboard, and get a 25mm thickness.
No point in using anything special.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I
have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

That's unusual!

Thats what I thought, had to get calipers out to confirm. Walls are 12.5mm,
ceilings (whole house) are 15mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian_m wrote:
"Chris Bacon"...
Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I
have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

That's unusual!

Thats what I thought, had to get calipers out to confirm. Walls are 12.5mm,
ceilings (whole house) are 15mm.

You can get it, but I've never seen it stocked - maybe I just
haven't looked! You can also get boards bigger than 8x4.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I have
removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or sound
deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ? Any
thoughts ?

foil backed offers a bit more damp resistance..

Unless you go expensive, soundproofing is very hard to achieve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I
have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or
sound deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ?
Any thoughts ?

foil backed offers a bit more damp resistance..

Unless you go expensive, soundproofing is very hard to achieve.

The back of it says "British Gypsum 2400 x 1200 x 15mm" and looks nothing
special, no foil etc etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian_m wrote:
Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I
have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or
sound deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ?
Any thoughts ?

foil backed offers a bit more damp resistance..

Unless you go expensive, soundproofing is very hard to achieve.

The back of it says "British Gypsum 2400 x 1200 x 15mm" and looks nothing
special, no foil etc etc

Indeed. I was merely noting that foil backed is slighlty useful if you
are replacing it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian_m wrote:
Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or
sound deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable
? Any thoughts ?

A double layer of plasterboard (thick type) is the cheapest way of
increasing sound insulation.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew

In message , Ian_m
writes
Ian_m wrote:
In an effort to make ignoring Part P easier (sorry re-wire kitchen) I
have removed the plasterboard ceiling which was 15mm plasterboard.

Should I just replace with plain 15mm or would moisture proof and/or
sound deadening (as my sons bedroom is directly above) be more suitable ?
Any thoughts ?

foil backed offers a bit more damp resistance..

Unless you go expensive, soundproofing is very hard to achieve.

The back of it says "British Gypsum 2400 x 1200 x 15mm" and looks nothing
special, no foil etc etc

I recently did the same thing (Actually it is easier than pulling up the
chipboard floor above). My ceilings are all 9 mm 8*4 sheets.
--
AD

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:31:41 -0000, "Ian_m" wrote:

The back of it says "British Gypsum 2400 x 1200 x 15mm" and looks nothing
special, no foil etc etc

Maybe regulations have moved on since your house was built.

25mm ( 2 layers of 12.5) of plasterboard gives 30 minutes fire barrier
and much better sound barrier than just one layer. But all that
progress goes to Hell if you put in downlighters without anything else
behind them.