Posted to uk.d-i-y
philster

Default St Helens Glass

Would anyone recommend St Helens Glass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

philster wrote:
Would anyone recommend St Helens Glass

I suppose they would.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Would anyone recommend St Helens Glass

Not entirely sure - we had the whole house done 10 years ago by them
(bear in mind they`ve since changed ownership) - IIRC its the owner of
a football club who now owns them, and possibly Everest (?) Windows.

No units have "blown", but ours are externally beaded, at least two of
the units had to be replaced when new due to quality control issues
(blobs of mastic in the middle of an expanse of glass, and on an inner
surface - impossible to hide) - one several times due to similar
issues !

One of the units that was replaced was done by a "supervisor" who
couldn`t even remove the beading cleanly, and to this day it looks
like it was attacked by someone with a screwdriver. His ham-fisted
attempt to remove the beading also damaged the bay window that the
glass unit formed the centre of - the entire bay would have to have
been replaced to sort it out properly. We didn`t bother.

Are they still using mechanical joints ? - one of our units still has
a small blue piece of plastic sandwiched between a joint that should
have been removed prior to assembly - impossible to remove properly
once the window was constructed.

A side-issue of the construction of ours is that there was a roll of
neoprene that had to be pushed into place around the unit to form a
seal - this was pulled a little too tight, and over the years it
contracted and pulled away from the corners - I haven`t been able to
find a supplier for this stuff, so have to poke it back in every time
I move the net curtains and notice it shrunk again.

A couple of cross-members have "dropped" visibly, as though there was
insufficient reinforcement, leading the plastic to droop, and on one
window in particular, there is a considerable rust stain, which I
suspect might be due to a piece of cut reinforcement not being sealed
/ dipped / galvanised. Fortunately its at the back of the house, and
not visible unless you walk past it (sods law, its a ground floor
window)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 15 Feb 2006 11:49:19 -0800, "philster"
wrote:

Would anyone recommend St Helens Glass

No.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

NO. Spend your hard earned cash on having some hardwood double glassed
windows fitted instead, they will last a life time or two, rather than 20
years tops for the UPVC type.

Steve

Would anyone recommend St Helens Glass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

NO. Spend your hard earned cash on having some hardwood double glassed
windows fitted instead, they will last a life time or two, rather than 20
years tops for the UPVC type.

Thats interesting, we used to get the double glazing sales people round our
estate at least once a week, which considering the whole estate was built
with hardwood double glazing from the off you might think was a bit daft.

A common sales tatic was: "would sir like to upgrade to UPVC"

err, no!

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM