Junior Member

Location: Ratby, Leicestershire
Smile My gas fire

Hi everyone

New to this DIY lark so i will ask lots of questions. I have just moved into my house and have a fake coal fire in the living room. Just recently i have heard a popping sound coming from the fire. Someone said to me it could be air in the pipes and if so is it dangerous and how do i fix it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default My gas fire

neil68 wrote:
Hi everyone

New to this DIY lark so i will ask lots of questions. I have just
moved into my house and have a fake coal fire in the living room. Just
recently i have heard a popping sound coming from the fire. Someone
said to me it could be air in the pipes and if so is it dangerous and
how do i fix it?

Thats only one question. And you should get it checked out

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
neil68 wrote:

Hi everyone

New to this DIY lark so i will ask lots of questions. I have just moved
into my house and have a fake coal fire in the living room. Just
recently i have heard a popping sound coming from the fire. Someone
said to me it could be air in the pipes and if so is it dangerous and
how do i fix it?

If it's anything like mine it probably just needs cleaning: remove the
coals, vacuum the bit where the coals sit and under the front, replace
the coals. The popping is caused by small pockets of gas that build up
away from the flame, then ignite - if you keep it clean it should burn
more evenly. If there was anywhere that air could get in, gas would get
out first because it's at a higher pressure.