Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Drill Drivers Revisited

Hi All

With the recent discussions about battery drill/drivers; In my workshop I
have a mains drill/driver made by Black & Decker. It's 350w and puts in
screws like you wouldn't believe, very light, only 4 torque settings, one of
those hexagon 'snappy' type chucks.

How would this 350w x 230v compare to a battery drill in terms of power?

I think B&D has discontinued them now, my local B&Q were clearing them out
for £10 so I bought 2 & am keeping one as a spare.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

With the recent discussions about battery drill/drivers; In my workshop I
have a mains drill/driver made by Black & Decker. It's 350w and puts in
screws like you wouldn't believe, very light, only 4 torque settings, one of
those hexagon 'snappy' type chucks.

How would this 350w x 230v compare to a battery drill in terms of power?

Hard.

Ballpark.
Let's say that the cells are discharging at C10 (6 mins flat out) and
2Ah, so call it 20A
350W/20A = 17V.

It's probably going to vary between 12V and 24V, depending on the
design.

But of course, it has no heavy battery, and the battery never runs down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
With the recent discussions about battery drill/drivers; In my workshop
I have a mains drill/driver made by Black & Decker. It's 350w and puts
in screws like you wouldn't believe, very light, only 4 torque
settings, one of those hexagon 'snappy' type chucks.

How would this 350w x 230v compare to a battery drill in terms of power?

What's the off load RPM? If it's geared down to a maximum of about 200 rpm
I'd say better than most.

I've an old B&D two speed plus variable that can be used for screwdriving
using electronic speed control. The off load rpm on the low gear is IIRC
800. That has plenty power, but it's a 650 watt.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.