Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Aldi Mobile Work Centre

Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.

Thought it was too good to be true.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.
Thought it was too good to be true.

It does *look* like a POS. The step ladder should be OK. I'll buy
a few of the floodlights, maybe. Tape, dunno, could do with some,
screws maybe, dunno what size they are, but there're S/S ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.

Thought it was too good to be true.

Rating: useless
I had a quick play in the shop.
The latches are made from such thin plastic that they are not reliable,
The plastic is so thin that it's hard to put back together without
misalignment - empty.
I can't imagine with its 'rated load' of stuff, I imagine it'd be
falling apart if you actually tried to wheel it over anything more than
carpet.
Forget lifting with stuff in.

Got another 3 150W floods, those are really handy, going to put up
another 3 in the other attic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.
Thought it was too good to be true.

It does *look* like a POS. The step ladder should be OK. I'll buy
a few of the floodlights, maybe. Tape, dunno, could do with some,
screws maybe, dunno what size they are, but there're S/S ones.

Tape is sound for £1.99.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.
Thought it was too good to be true.

It does *look* like a POS. The step ladder should be OK. I'll buy
a few of the floodlights, maybe. Tape, dunno, could do with some,
screws maybe, dunno what size they are, but there're S/S ones.

Step ladders are the same in argos and at the same price.
http://tinyurl.com/abve5

WHO said Aldi was cheap? come on own up.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
The [Aldi] step ladder should be OK.

Step ladders are the same in argos and at the same price.
http://tinyurl.com/abve5

They look the same, but are they? The Argos one has a "maximum
safe working load 95kg (15 stone)", the Aldi one has "Load
capacity: 150kg".

WHO said Aldi was cheap? come on own up.

For some things, it is. You've got to be a bit careful when
buying things from anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
saying something like:

Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.

Thought it was too good to be true.

HAHAHAHAHA..... you didn't actuall buy it, did you?

I could tell from the picture it was a cheap piece of plastic ****.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
saying something like:

Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.

Thought it was too good to be true.

HAHAHAHAHA..... you didn't actuall buy it, did you?

I could tell from the picture it was a cheap piece of plastic ****.

No you could not, the plastic type let it down otherwise I'd have bought
one, and replaced the retractable tray with a draw.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Rating : poor
Pity about the useless retractable screwtray and weak plastic.

Thought it was too good to be true.

Rating: useless
I had a quick play in the shop.
The latches are made from such thin plastic that they are not reliable,
The plastic is so thin that it's hard to put back together without
misalignment - empty.
I can't imagine with its 'rated load' of stuff, I imagine it'd be
falling apart if you actually tried to wheel it over anything more than
carpet.
Forget lifting with stuff in.

They're made by ZAG, who I believe also make toolboxes for Stanley.
It's not the best piece of kit but okay for the price. I'm sure they
sell the same with a Stanley badge for more.
I've got 2 rolling toolboxes made by Keter which are better and
eventhough initially I had reservations about the plastics they've
survived with loads of heavy tools.

Israel seems to be big in plastics companies for some reason!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

daddyfreddy:
They're made by ZAG, who I believe also make toolboxes for Stanley.

They do. They also make toolboxes sold by Aldi. I bought one last
year, for a fiver, for the Young Master, who's 4 1/6 y.o., for his
tools. I was slightly surprised to see that the bottom of the box
was made in July 2003, the lid in July, '04, and the tray part-way
through '05! Still, quite useful, I should have bought a couple for
me, too!

It's not the best piece of kit but okay for the price. I'm sure they
sell the same with a Stanley badge for more.

Looks like about £12-15.

I didn't like the look of the "work station" pic, either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
daddyfreddy:
They're made by ZAG, who I believe also make toolboxes for Stanley.

They do. They also make toolboxes sold by Aldi. I bought one last
year, for a fiver, for the Young Master, who's 4 1/6 y.o., for his
tools. I was slightly surprised to see that the bottom of the box
was made in July 2003, the lid in July, '04, and the tray part-way
through '05! Still, quite useful, I should have bought a couple for
me, too!

The ~5 quid toolbox looked moderately sturdy, very sturdy in comparison.