Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Valuation / chimney question

Had a survey and standard valuation done on the house we are about to
buy. had the copy of the building society's valuation today.

the last comment in the general remarks section reads:

"internal wall and chimney breast removal to ground floor should have
been carried out in accordance with Building Regulation Approval.
Conveyancer to confirm."

Now, call me stupid but the chimney is still there as are the orginal
fireplaces, hearths etc and the chimneys are ventilated in the upstairs
rooms.

anyone any idea what this is referring to? we were hoping to reinstate
at least one of the fires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

good point, there is a another chimney stack at the back of the kitchen
extension, only visible from the bedroom above, I'd forgotten about it
until now. its tiny and it doesnt seem to be ventilated anywhere + has
no chimney stack / pots etc. he must be referring to this although it's
not at all clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison

On 7 Feb 2006 11:11:44 -0800, in uk.d-i-y "
wrote:

Had a survey and standard valuation done on the house we are about to
buy. had the copy of the building society's valuation today.

the last comment in the general remarks section reads:

"internal wall and chimney breast removal to ground floor should have
been carried out in accordance with Building Regulation Approval.
Conveyancer to confirm."

Now, call me stupid but the chimney is still there as are the orginal
fireplaces, hearths etc and the chimneys are ventilated in the upstairs
rooms.

anyone any idea what this is referring to? we were hoping to reinstate
at least one of the fires.

No idea, but as you commissioned and presumably paid for the survey you
could just ask the surveyor to explain it to you. I would just ring him
up and ask.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Phil Addison wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 11:11:44 -0800, in uk.d-i-y "

anyone any idea what this is referring to? we were hoping to reinstate
at least one of the fires.

No idea, but as you commissioned and presumably paid for the survey you
could just ask the surveyor to explain it to you. I would just ring him
up and ask.

From another thread:

al wrote:

Not too much common sense floating around here lately ....

Quite. :~)))))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not too much common sense floating around here lately ....

Quite. :~)))))

I'm full of common sense, just thought I'd get more sense out of you
lot than the bank's surveyor...