Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Default House prices in your street.

I may be going over old ground here as I have been away from the group
for a while, but.... 'er ladyship just stumbled upon this fine tool.

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
Just what the doctor ordered when looking to buy a new house.

Cheers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Hogarty

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:55:47 +0000, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

I may be going over old ground here as I have been away from the group for
a while, but.... 'er ladyship just stumbled upon this fine tool.

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
Just what the doctor ordered when looking to buy a new house.

Cheers
Pete

Apart from the data is old and the analysis is seriously flawed! Apart
from that it's just fine.

--
Regards
Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:04:10 +0000, Tony Hogarty
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:55:47 +0000, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

I may be going over old ground here as I have been away from the group for
a while, but.... 'er ladyship just stumbled upon this fine tool.

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
Just what the doctor ordered when looking to buy a new house.

Cheers
Pete

Apart from the data is old and the analysis is seriously flawed! Apart
from that it's just fine.

www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Tony Hogarty wrote:

Apart from the data is old and the analysis is seriously flawed! Apart
from that it's just fine.

But if as we are, you are looking at a property in particular and see
the current owners purchased is 2 years ago for 25% off the current
asking price, it gives you an idea as to how far you can try and push
the price down to still be appealing to the current vendors.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Stuart wrote:

www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

The Yahoo one is FREE, and doesn't have all that signing up SPAM list
crap you are compelled to fill in before you can even look at any results.

All you do on the Yahoo site is enter a "human-only" code into the box
and bingo.
Checked my previous house sale and the price was spot on.

Each to their own though I guess.

Cheers
Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Tony Hogarty wrote:

Apart from the data is old and the analysis is seriously flawed! Apart
from that it's just fine.

But if as we are, you are looking at a property in particular and see
the current owners purchased is 2 years ago for 25% off the current
asking price, it gives you an idea as to how far you can try and push
the price down to still be appealing to the current vendors.

How do you reckon that? The market value of the house that they want to
move to will have risen by a similar amount in the same period, or they
may have spent a lot on improvements to the house they're selling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Rob Morley wrote:

How do you reckon that? The market value of the house that they want to
move to will have risen by a similar amount in the same period, or they
may have spent a lot on improvements to the house they're selling.

The details of improvements and modernisations will be readily available
from current vendors. A house is only worth what somone is willing to
pay for it. If no-one pays the asking price and the vendors are
desperate to sell so as not to lose their new interest, I would say
knowing what they bought it for and what they had done and the purchase
price was pretty good grounds for making s realistic and acceptable offer.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Hogarty

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:28:08 +0000, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

Checked my previous house sale and the price was spot on.

The data they use is from the Land Registry and so it should be spot on.
However the LR issue a monthly update (the last contained prices to the
end of December 2005) and the data on this site only goes to August 2005.
I don't know if they have stopped updating it aaltogether or it just
hasn't been updated recently but if there are significant market moves
then this length of time between updates is significant.

--
Regards
Tony
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

Really? They require you to register. So all those details will be sold on
to others. Some free...

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

How do you reckon that? The market value of the house that they want to
move to will have risen by a similar amount in the same period, or they
may have spent a lot on improvements to the house they're selling.

The details of improvements and modernisations will be readily available
from current vendors. A house is only worth what somone is willing to
pay for it. If no-one pays the asking price and the vendors are
desperate to sell so as not to lose their new interest, I would say
knowing what they bought it for and what they had done and the purchase
price was pretty good grounds for making s realistic and acceptable offer..

Just how desperate would they have to be? By the time they sold their
old house to you they probably couldn't afford the new one anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:49:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

Really? They require you to register. So all those details will be sold on
to others. Some free...

It's free in that it doesnt cost anyhting ..but you knew I meant that
anyway .As for the other ....lighten up ...so what if they want you to
register .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Chris Bacon wrote:
Pet wrote:
http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

Even better.
Thanks Chris.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:25:54 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
Pet wrote:
http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

Even better.
Thanks Chris.

If yoy stay in England or Wales of course .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Stuart wrote:

If yoy stay in England or Wales of course .

Is there anywhere else?

:¬))

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Vann

http://www.nethouseprices.com/

--
Warning! - This newsgroup may contain nuts....
Mail sent to this address might get read....Eventually
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

Really? They require you to register. So all those details will be sold
on to others. Some free...

It's free in that it doesnt cost anyhting ..but you knew I meant that
anyway .As for the other ....lighten up ...so what if they want you to
register .

I'd really rather not give my details to a *supposed* 'free' site when
there are others that do the same thing without.

If you want to that's up to you.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Alan Vann wrote:

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

http://www.nethouseprices.com/

Houseprices.co.uk is still the winner for me as it is really quick and
has much smaller bandwidth requirement for "in field" refrence on the
mobile.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:10:46 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
wrote:

Alan Vann wrote:

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
www.houseprices.co.uk

http://www.nethouseprices.com/

Houseprices.co.uk is still the winner for me as it is really quick and
has much smaller bandwidth requirement for "in field" refrence on the
mobile.

I prefer houseprices.co.uk too - data seems more complete

Have you seen ononemap.com ?
Its not what they sold for but ones for sale...

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Stuart wrote:

www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

The Yahoo one is FREE, and doesn't have all that signing up SPAM list
crap you are compelled to fill in before you can even look at any results.

I can confidently state I have received no spam on the address used to
sign up to them some time ago.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart wrote:
www.ourproperty.co.uk is better and it is FREE..

Really? They require you to register. So all those details will be sold on
to others. Some free...

I *know* the e-mail I used to sign up has not been used by anyone else
and it'smore than 6 months since I signed up.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

mogga wrote:

Have you seen ononemap.com ?
Its not what they sold for but ones for sale...

Wow, That really _is_ cool.
Glad I started the thread now.
That's one jolly usefull web-site.

Cheers Mogga

Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
BeeJay

wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
Pet wrote:
http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

Even better.
Thanks Chris.

If yoy stay in England or Wales of course .

Exactly. Makes me wonder why they call it uk houseprices. Maybe it's
run by the BBC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:

| www.houseprices.co.uk

Hopelessly wrong for my road. It listed only a house which was sold at
auction at 60% of its real value. The existing neighbour who bought it
got a real bargain.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:

Pet wrote:

http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/

www.houseprices.co.uk

Amazing site!

Certainly is! So The Land Registry is at last releasing its data. You
could always check average prices for the first part of your postcode on
their website, but I imagine anything more specific was considered an
invasion of privacy. Bad news for estate agents I imagine, part of whose
function was supposedly to keep tabs on what things sold for. They
never did a very good job of that anyway
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:25:54 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;?)"
wrote:

|Chris Bacon wrote:
|
|Pet wrote:
|
|http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
|
|www.houseprices.co.uk
|

| Amazing site!
|
|Certainly is! So The Land Registry is at last releasing its data. You
|could always check average prices for the first part of your postcode on
|their website, but I imagine anything more specific was considered an
|invasion of privacy. Bad news for estate agents I imagine, part of whose
| function was supposedly to keep tabs on what things sold for. They
|never did a very good job of that anyway.

I live in an old village with a mix of housing from the 1600s (Tudor)
through to the present day, from Tudor manor houses, and modern executive
dwellings to ex workmen's cottages. The problem of the value of any given
house will remain difficult. Averages are useless in this case.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Threads often contain 100s of posts dozens layers deep. Other people
use different newsreaders, they do not see or do what you see and do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:39:41 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:

| www.houseprices.co.uk

Hopelessly wrong for my road.

How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

wrote:

|On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:25:54 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;?)"
wrote:

|Chris Bacon wrote:
|
|Pet wrote:
|
|http://uk.houseprices.yahoo.net/
|
|www.houseprices.co.uk
|

| Amazing site!
|
|Certainly is! So The Land Registry is at last releasing its data. You
|could always check average prices for the first part of your postcode on
|their website, but I imagine anything more specific was considered an
|invasion of privacy. Bad news for estate agents I imagine, part of whose
| function was supposedly to keep tabs on what things sold for. They
|never did a very good job of that anyway.

I live in an old village with a mix of housing from the 1600s (Tudor)
through to the present day, from Tudor manor houses, and modern executive
dwellings to ex workmen's cottages. The problem of the value of any given
house will remain difficult. Averages are useless in this case.

So one checks achieved prices of similar properties. If I'm looking
for a workman's cottage, then I will look at prices of workmen's
cottages. Moreover, the prices will permit comparison between your
village and one, say, twenty miles away that happens to be close to a
main line station or has broadband.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Hogarty

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:05:36 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I live in an old village with a mix of housing from the 1600s (Tudor)
through to the present day, from Tudor manor houses, and modern executive
dwellings to ex workmen's cottages. The problem of the value of any
given house will remain difficult. Averages are useless in this case.

Not entirely useless but yes it is far more difficult to give a
statistically meaningful average when the area is very mixed like this.
Generally there are insufficient transactions within any one Postcode area
to safely conclude averages as most Postcodes contain only 10 - 15 houses.
You can probably get a useful trend but with a wide variabilty margin.

--
Regards
Tony
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
MM wrote:
Someone else wrote, but the attributions were pathetically munged:

| www.houseprices.co.uk

Hopelessly wrong for my road.

How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

No idea. The prices come from the Land Registry. Perhaps
Mr. Fawthrop will come up with an explanation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:
|

|| www.houseprices.co.uk
|
|Hopelessly wrong for my road.

see my post for explanation

|How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

Price achieved, at auction, is not what you will get if you sell in the
normal way.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Threads often contain 100s of posts dozens layers deep. Other people
use different newsreaders, they do not see or do what you see and do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
MM wrote:
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|MM wrote:
| Someone wrote, but the attributions were horribly munged:
|| www.houseprices.co.uk
|
|Hopelessly wrong for my road.

see my post for explanation

Which post? Do you mean that "houseprices" have got the wrong
figures for prices realised in "your street", or that they have
calculated a wrong average price - or what?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:
|

|| www.houseprices.co.uk
|
|Hopelessly wrong for my road.

see my post for explanation

|How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

Price achieved, at auction, is not what you will get if you sell in the
normal way.

One has to wonder why it was sold at auction. It usually indicates some
problem in selling the "normal" way.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 9 Feb 2006 06:56:21 -0800, wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:22:41 +0000, MM wrote:
|
| |On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:39:41 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
| |
| |On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:
| |
| |
| ||
www.houseprices.co.uk
| |
| |Hopelessly wrong for my road.
|
| see my post for explanation
|
| |How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?
|
| Price achieved, at auction, is not what you will get if you sell in the
| normal way.
|
|One has to wonder why it was sold at auction. It usually indicates some
|problem in selling the "normal" way.

Owner had drastic financial problems, repossessed :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Threads often contain 100s of posts dozens layers deep. Other people
use different newsreaders, they do not see or do what you see and do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:36:57 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| MM wrote:
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| |MM wrote:
| | Someone wrote, but the attributions were horribly munged:
| || www.houseprices.co.uk
| |
| |Hopelessly wrong for my road.
|
| see my post for explanation
|
|Which post?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

MM typed

wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote:

| www.houseprices.co.uk

Hopelessly wrong for my road.

How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

MM

Maybe little has changed hands in the last 5 years.

I don't think shooting the messenger is fair.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote
|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| MM wrote:
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| |MM wrote:
| | Someone wrote, but the attributions were horribly munged:
| || www.houseprices.co.uk
| |Hopelessly wrong for my road.
| see my post for explanation
|Which post?

So "houseprices" is accurate, not "wrong". It gives the figure
the house sold for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:30:28 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| Chris Bacon wrote
| |Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | MM wrote:
| | | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | |MM wrote:
| | |Hopelessly wrong for my road.
| | see my post for explanation
| |Which post?

|So "houseprices" is accurate, not "wrong". It gives the figure
|the house sold for.

But it is 60% of the *value* on the open market.