Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

Default Bath shelving

Replacing the bath, I find the shelf running along its length between the
bath and the wall, is wet
in fact the tiles lift quite easily and it looks like the water has got in
underneath

This can only be getting through the grout joints between the tiles on the
shelf
as I have sealant between wall to shelf, and shelf to bath

(Spotted a hairline crack but this may have happenned while I readied the
bath for removal)

What is the groups opinion of this? should I use sealant between the tile
gaps
instead of grout for the shelf?

The shelf is tilted in favour of the bath but only slightly, and did pool
water a bit.
so I am intending to replace the shelf at a higher angle

Thanks in advance
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rednadnerb

Never seen it done but it sounds like a good idea. Remember to unibond
the shelf before sticking the tiles back down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Never seen it done but it sounds like a good idea. Remember to unibond
the shelf before sticking the tiles back down.

having removed the shelf that was wet, I have replaced today with Exterior
Grade Ply
and incresed the slope to 20deg
Thanks for the vote of confidence, fingers crossed all is sound this time
around
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

What is the groups opinion of this? should I use sealant between the tile
gaps instead of grout for the shelf?

Use a proper grout, not the tat they sell in the sheds. I would use
Ardex-Flex FS. It is designed for use in swimming pools (under the water!)

http://www.ardex.co.uk/ardexflex_fs.asp

Don't use sealant, it would be very difficult and probably look awful!

Christian.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Virtually no flow at bath ( longish) 9100DN OWNER UK diy 7 January 3rd 05 01:50 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM