Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

Default Running indirect cylinder dry

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

I ran one like that for months, it was OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

The cylinder won't empty unless you specifically drain it via its drain
off point (normally on the inlet pipe at the bottom. Simply draining
the cold header tank above it will only allow the water level to drop
to the height of the top of the cylinder (actually to the lowest
Tee-joint above it).
And no, it sholdn't do any harm at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

"Calvin" wrote in message
oups.com...

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a

gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year

old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

The cylinder won't empty unless you specifically drain it via its drain
off point (normally on the inlet pipe at the bottom. Simply draining
the cold header tank above it will only allow the water level to drop
to the height of the top of the cylinder (actually to the lowest
Tee-joint above it).
And no, it sholdn't do any harm at all.

Oh yeah - never thought of that!

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a
gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3
year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

Yep. All the big cylinder makers make them. I can't see the point in them.
Disadvantages are too many.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a

gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3

year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

I'm certain it isn't a Primatic.