DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Running indirect cylinder dry (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/142156-running-indirect-cylinder-dry.html)

PM January 27th 06 08:25 AM

Running indirect cylinder dry

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

john January 27th 06 09:00 AM

Running indirect cylinder dry

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

Chris Bacon January 27th 06 09:36 AM

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

I ran one like that for months, it was OK.

Calvin January 27th 06 10:08 AM

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

The cylinder won't empty unless you specifically drain it via its drain
off point (normally on the inlet pipe at the bottom. Simply draining
the cold header tank above it will only allow the water level to drop
to the height of the top of the cylinder (actually to the lowest
Tee-joint above it).
And no, it sholdn't do any harm at all.

PM January 27th 06 01:03 PM

Running indirect cylinder dry

"Calvin" wrote in message
oups.com...

PM wrote:
I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a

gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year

old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

The cylinder won't empty unless you specifically drain it via its drain
off point (normally on the inlet pipe at the bottom. Simply draining
the cold header tank above it will only allow the water level to drop
to the height of the top of the cylinder (actually to the lowest
Tee-joint above it).
And no, it sholdn't do any harm at all.

Oh yeah - never thought of that!

Thanks for all the replies.

Ed Sirett January 27th 06 10:28 PM

Running indirect cylinder dry

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3 year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

Doctor Drivel January 27th 06 11:20 PM

Running indirect cylinder dry

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a
gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3
year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

Yep. All the big cylinder makers make them. I can't see the point in them.
Disadvantages are too many.

PM January 30th 06 08:28 AM

Running indirect cylinder dry

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:00:12 +0000, john wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:54 +0000, PM wrote:

I need to drain down the cold water tank over the weekend. My CH is a

gas
boiler on a basic on-or-off timer and feeds both the rads and the 3

year
old
indirect HW cylinder.

If the HW cylinder empties, will it be damaged by running the CH?

No.

Is PM sure it isn't a Primatic? Would this change the response Ed?

It would but the cylinder is only 3 tears old - can you still get
Primatics?

I'm certain it isn't a Primatic.