Posted to uk.d-i-y
grapheve

Default Potterton EP3000 CH/HW controller clock reset problem

I have a Potterton EP3000 CH/HW controller that keeps re-setting the clock
to default (midnight) when it is due to turn the heating or the water on.

When I try to reset the clock it defaults to midnight as soon as you scroll
the time past any of the preset on/off times.

I am gong to replace the battery which is leaking.

Can anyone explain the problem and will a new battery fix the it?

Many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve S

"grapheve" wrote :
I have a Potterton EP3000 CH/HW controller that keeps re-setting the clock
to default (midnight) when it is due to turn the heating or the water on.

When I try to reset the clock it defaults to midnight as soon as you
scroll
the time past any of the preset on/off times.

I am gong to replace the battery which is leaking.

Can anyone explain the problem and will a new battery fix the it?

Many thanks

The leaking battery is most likely the cause of the problem. The stuff
leaking out of the battery is conductive. Quite likely it is shorting out
tracks on the PCB. Since the chip inputs tend to be very high impedance, the
conductivity of the leakage is probably more than enough to cause the kind
of problem you are seeing. Isolate the controller from the mains. Dismantle
it. Ensure you remove all traces of leakage. I'd advise the use of deionised
water for cleaning -- you can buy it from the chemist's. Swab it, don't
immerse it. Remember that the battery contents may be toxic. Ensure the PCB
assembly is dry before reassembling.

HTH,
Steve S

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , grapheve
writes
I have a Potterton EP3000 CH/HW controller that keeps re-setting the clock
to default (midnight) when it is due to turn the heating or the water on.

When I try to reset the clock it defaults to midnight as soon as you scroll
the time past any of the preset on/off times.

I am gong to replace the battery which is leaking.

It looks like you've just answered your own question

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42246124.jpg

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

raden wrote:

In message , grapheve
writes
I have a Potterton EP3000 CH/HW controller that keeps re-setting the
clock to default (midnight) when it is due to turn the heating or
the water on. When I try to reset the clock it defaults to midnight as
soon as you
scroll the time past any of the preset on/off times.

I am gong to replace the battery which is leaking.

It looks like you've just answered your own question

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42246124.jpg

Can anyone explain the problem and will a new battery fix the it?

Many thanks

Indeed, if the battery is knackered, as soon as it is required to do
anything which requires more than "tick-over" current, the voltage will drop
to zero, and the clock will reset.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve S

"Set Square" wrote
Indeed, if the battery is knackered, as soon as it is required to do
anything which requires more than "tick-over" current, the voltage will
drop to zero, and the clock will reset.

Sorry, Set Square, but this is incorrect. The battery is used only to
maintain the RTC (realtime clock) in the even of power failure. Normal
operation is by mains power. As I posted earlier, the leakage from the
battery is shorting tracks.

Further, I would assume that the battery in question is a nicad. The OP must
be careful to remove *all* traces of leakage material. It is highly
corrosive to copper.

Steve S

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Steve S wrote:

"Set Square" wrote
Indeed, if the battery is knackered, as soon as it is required to do
anything which requires more than "tick-over" current, the voltage
will drop to zero, and the clock will reset.

Sorry, Set Square, but this is incorrect. The battery is used only to
maintain the RTC (realtime clock) in the even of power failure. Normal
operation is by mains power. As I posted earlier, the leakage from the
battery is shorting tracks.

Fair enough. I assumed that the battery did the switching.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

RCA Clock radio wierd problem - Help! Rusty Electronics Repair 22 January 5th 05 10:05 PM
A Different Potterton Problem normandy16 UK diy 5 July 18th 04 07:44 PM
potterton pcb problem rob UK diy 1 March 1st 04 11:26 PM
Problem with CH (Potterton gas boiler not lighting) Reckless UK diy 11 March 1st 04 09:32 PM
Potterton Profile problem OldScrawn UK diy 37 February 12th 04 08:11 PM