Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

Default New towel rad without draining system?

I'm modernizing my bathroom at the moment and wish to change the old
towel rad for a newer one.

The old one only has a single valve in the water path and is massive
handwheel type.

Is it possible to somehow change the rad without fully draining the
entire system, I have to put new valves onto the pipework from the CH
feed to the new rad.

thanks

Any suggestions welcome..

... Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Tony wrote:
I'm modernizing my bathroom at the moment and wish to change the old
towel rad for a newer one.

The old one only has a single valve in the water path and is massive
handwheel type.

Is it possible to somehow change the rad without fully draining the
entire system, I have to put new valves onto the pipework from the CH
feed to the new rad.

Unless you're in a single-story flat, and if you have an upstairs
bathroom, you'd only need to drain off enough water until it's below the
level of the first floor.

Otherwise, the only way is to use a pipe-freezing kit to freeze the
incoming and outgoing pipes to the towel rail, which gives you a very
finite time to remove the old valves and fit new ones - not a trick for
the faint-hearted or novice plumber.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Is it possible to somehow change the rad without fully draining the
entire system, I have to put new valves onto the pipework from the CH
feed to the new rad.

You only have to drain down as far as the pipework. However, draining down
and refilling really isn't a massive chore. It gives you the opportunity to
de-sludge and reinhibit the system, too.

Christian.

prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
CH system draining. Matthew UK diy 1 November 22nd 05 12:16 PM
Bowl coring system? Andrew Barss Woodturning 21 February 14th 05 05:46 AM
Draining a central heating system with no drain point David Hearn UK diy 10 December 3rd 03 12:48 PM
Adding inhibitor to CH system without draining Marc Lee UK diy 6 November 4th 03 03:38 PM