Posted to uk.d-i-y
Barry

Default glass in door problem

I have removed some docorative glass from a full length door panel and want
to replace it with a diffused laminate glass.
The new glass is 6.5 mm slighlty thicker than what came out .....not giving
me as much room for the beading .
old beading was 10mm and glass was about 5mm .and it finished flush with the
door.
Do I use a quad beading after bedding the laminate glass on a silicone or
perhaps caulking........And could I plane the protruding quadrant flush
after fixing ???

or should I use a rebater ( not got one and never used one ) to make the
existing rebate deeper???

Well done if you understood this ....................Interested in the best
way forward.

thanks

Barry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Barry wrote:

old beading was 10mm and glass was about 5mm .and it finished flush with the
door.
Do I use a quad beading after bedding the laminate glass on a silicone or
perhaps caulking........And could I plane the protruding quadrant flush
after fixing ???

That's what I'd do. Either that or replace the bead with smaller
section. You could also round the outside edge and make the
protruberance a feature.

Most people use silicon but ordinary waterproof mastic will allow the
glass and beads to be removed at a later date. Also any silicon smeared
on the glass could be tricky to remove once it dries, as silicon reacts
with glass -even silicon wax does.

or should I use a rebater ( not got one and never used one ) to make the
existing rebate deeper???

How would you plane the corners?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Barry wrote:

I have removed some docorative glass from a full length door panel
and want to replace it with a diffused laminate glass.
The new glass is 6.5 mm slighlty thicker than what came out .....not
giving me as much room for the beading .
old beading was 10mm and glass was about 5mm .and it finished flush
with the door.
Do I use a quad beading after bedding the laminate glass on a
silicone or perhaps caulking........And could I plane the protruding
quadrant flush after fixing ???

or should I use a rebater ( not got one and never used one ) to make
the existing rebate deeper???

Well done if you understood this ....................Interested in
the best way forward.

thanks

Barry

Can't you get some 8mm beading in place of the 10mm stuff. That would then
be about right. It will look odd if you plane the protruding edge of the
existing stuff - it would be better (albeit rather difficult!) to plane the
flat face before fitting it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
shotguntony

Try looking around for some beading called hockey-stick, you may find
the exact size you need and it will also look a bit more of a feature.
Happy Hunting...

Junior Member

[quote=Barry]I have removed some docorative glass from a full length door panel and want
to replace it with a diffused laminate glass.
The new glass is 6.5 mm slighlty thicker than what came out .....not giving
me as much room for the beading .
old beading was 10mm and glass was about 5mm .and it finished flush with the
door.
Do I use a quad beading after bedding the laminate glass on a silicone or
perhaps caulking........And could I plane the protruding quadrant flush
after fixing ???

or should I use a rebater ( not got one and never used one ) to make the
existing rebate deeper???

Well done if you understood this ....................Interested in the best
way forward.
you could use hockey stick beading

Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM