Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason Arthurs

Default Advice required: Concrete base for workshop

I'm in the process of planning to build a 10'x 12' shed at the bottom
of my garden to be my workshop. The soil is a very heavy clay and at
this time of year is quite sodden.

Most of the shed sites seem to state that a slab base is fine for most
uses, but I'm concerned that whilst it maybe fine for a 6'x4' with a
couple of bikes and a lawnmower I'm going to be using this on a daily
basis and it will be storing and handling some quite heavy items. I
don't particularly want it sinking into the clay.

I was considering a 11'x 13' concrete base around 4" thick, is this
overkill (or insufficient)? Also considering the damp conditions how
long will it take a base like that to set before I can construct a
shed on it?

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.

Advice on concrete base david lang UK diy 2 December 19th 05 01:00 AM
Concrete counter top advice orangetrader Home Repair 0 November 26th 04 05:36 AM
to break up existing concrete base or not for the new shed? john west++++ UK diy 1 October 1st 03 06:48 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM