Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

Default Water softners

Our water softener has eventually given up, so we are in need of a new one.
Has anyone any advice on ones to get, or ones to avoid.

Five bedroomed house but only two of us living here now, so water
consumption is quite low apart from when all the children and grandchildren
come to stay.

thanks in advance

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:50:21 +0000 (UTC), Simon wrote:

Has anyone any advice on ones to get, or ones to avoid.

Get one that measures your consumption, not on a timer.

I've had an AquaDial for about 25 years. I service it every 5 years or
so (clean filter). So far fx:touches wood no problems.

Not sure if they are still going: Aqua Dial Ltd, 020 8549 7812

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
pat

Nigel Molesworth:
Get one that measures your consumption, not on a timer.

Some units have meters and timers. As I understand it the
price/specification steps a
Low spec: timer only
Medium spec: meter with timer (single tank)
High spec: meter without timer (twin tank)

Even with a meter, a single tank unit needs a timer so that it will
only regenerate at night. Twin tank units always do not need a timer
because one tank can regenerate at any time without affecting supply
from the other.

I chose a twin tank unit but it might be more expensive than you need.
http://www.ezsoftener.com/index.asp?pid=H&sc=google

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Some units have meters and timers. As I understand it the
price/specification steps a
Low spec: timer only
Medium spec: meter with timer (single tank)
High spec: meter without timer (twin tank)

I've finally bought one myself just yesterday. I've been meaning to get one
but haven't had the funds until I managed some creative accounting and put
it on our loft conversion budget.

It is a twin tank, non electric sequential tank model (i.e. the best type)
for 650 quid inc VAT and delivery. From
http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=87. As it hasn't yet arrived,
I've no idea if it or the supplier are any good yet.

One feature that the one chose has is that it can take any type of salt
(i.e. granulated, tablet, block) so I don't have to buy overpriced block
salt. Some machines can only accept block salt and this can affect the
economics of operation.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pat

Christian McArdle wrote:
It is a twin tank, non electric sequential tank model
(i.e. the best type) for 650 quid inc VAT and delivery.

I am fairly sure that one is made by Harvey (see my recent posts).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Christian McArdle wrote:
It is a twin tank, non electric sequential tank model
(i.e. the best type) for 650 quid inc VAT and delivery.

I am fairly sure that one is made by Harvey (see my recent posts).

Thanks to everyone that replied. Think it will be a twin tank one that I
will go for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It is a twin tank, non electric sequential tank model
(i.e. the best type) for 650 quid inc VAT and delivery.

I am fairly sure that one is made by Harvey (see my recent posts).

The picture does look quite different from the Crown, though. Perhaps the
picture is wrong, or the franchisees put different casings onto the same
innards.

Christian.