Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

Default Boosting electric shower

I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower or perhaps there is an off the shelf
electric " boosted " shower out there.

I'd love to have a power shower, but the family gets too many showers
to be practical to run one.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received..

... Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:29:58 GMT someone who may be Tony
wrote this:-

I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower

Yes. However, the more cold water you force through the shower the
less hot the water that comes out of it will be, assuming that you
already have it on the maximum heat setting.

There are a number of solutions to this, but all involve varying
amounts of work and variable results.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hearn

Tony wrote:
I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower or perhaps there is an off the shelf
electric " boosted " shower out there.

I'd love to have a power shower, but the family gets too many showers
to be practical to run one.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received..

... Tony

You may be able to boost it - however, the way these showers work is
that the water temperature is governed by the flow rate. When you
increase the temperature, you're just slowing the water down, allowing
the element to come into contact with the water for longer, heating it
more. Therefore by increasing the pressure, surely you're also
increasing the flow rate, which would reduce the amount of time the
water is in contact with the element, causing the water temperature to fall.

If you're after a more powerful but cooler shower, it might work. I've
no idea whether you can actually pump mains pressure water anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower or perhaps there is an off the shelf
electric " boosted " shower out there.

I believe that there are electrically heated power showers available.
Alternatively even the smallest single impellor shower pump will work,
provided that you have a gravity tank feed available. You must not pump
mains cold water.

Of course, if your problem is that the electric shower can't get a decent
enough flow rate when on full heat, then this won't be solved by a pump.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tony wrote:
I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower or perhaps there is an off the shelf
electric " boosted " shower out there.

Unless your mains pressure is below minimum spec - which is a dribble -
the shower is already reducing the flow to maintain temperature.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:

I currently have a gainsbrough 10.8kw electric shower, but I have
always been unhappy about its outflow. Is there a way to boost the
cold water pressure to the shower or perhaps there is an off the shelf
electric " boosted " shower out there.

I'd love to have a power shower, but the family gets too many showers
to be practical to run one.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received..

.. Tony

More flow needs more power. A simpler approach would be an aerator,
which will make it feel like the flow is more. Another option that
would work is to use a drain heat exchanger, this will increase the
heat/flow ratio of the existing shower. Both these will improve things.

Or if youre wiling to throw serious money at it, how bout a 27kW 3
phase electric shower.

And if youre not willing to spend anything, try a friend's 3kW shower,
and develop some gratitude.

NT