Junior Member

Question Radiator TRV fitting problem/Question.

I've been going through severe problems with my Heatline Compact S30
combi-boiler and recently had an engineer out to it under warranty. He
noted that the TRV's the instaler had fitted were one-directional, said
this would cause knocking and stress on the boiler and advised that
they be changed to bi-directional. He also advised a room-stat which
the installer also neglected.

I have drained the system and bought new Mistral bi-directional TRV's
(with self seal tail). Here's where I am confused. The valve section
allows the tail to move freely and does not appear to seal at all. All
that is in the boxes are a two-way valve, two brass o-rings, two nuts
and the sliding tail. I bought from PlumbBase, but I found the same
item on ebay just now and it appears to have an extra brass part that
did not come with the units I purchased.
Am I missing parts from these or am I failing to realise how they work? How is the tail sealed in?

Also, the previous fitting had a female coupling on the bottom and the
copper pipes seem to be attatched to what I presumed was the old brass
o-rings! They rotate, but would probably need cut off or an awful lot more force than I would expect. Unless I can get these off, the old fitting nut wont come off, and I cannot fit the new parts anyway. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Radiator TRV fitting problem/Question.

In message , Don72
writes

I've been going through severe problems with my Heatline Compact S30
combi-boiler and recently had an engineer out to it under warranty. He

One thread is enough - I've replied there.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Don72 wrote:

I've been going through severe problems with my Heatline Compact S30
combi-boiler and recently had an engineer out to it under warranty. He

noted that the TRV's the instaler had fitted were one-directional,
said

this would cause knocking and stress on the boiler and advised that
they be changed to bi-directional. He also advised a room-stat which
the installer also neglected.

You should certainly have a room stat - and the radiator nearest to that
shouldn't have a TRV at all.

With regard to bi-directional TRVs, you've only got half the story! Very few
TRV are truly bi-directional - in that they don't *care* which way the flow
goes. But many are configurable - in that there's a little gizmo to turn to
make them work in one direction or the other.

If the flow through your existing TRVs is in the wrong direction, the
simplest solution is to move them to the opposite end of the radiator rather
than buying new ones.

With regard to the new TRVs, as far as I can see from your photos (doesn't
your camera have a focus adjustement?!) the TRV has a compression fitting
both ends - so either end can connect to the supply pipe, with the other end
connecting to the radiator tail. So the brass O-ring to which you refer is
simply a compression olive, and the radiator tail is, in effect, a piece of
15mm pipe onto which you tighten the compression fitting. [It may be this
which makes it bi-directional - requiring you to have the thermostatic bit
vertical for one direction of flow and horizontal for the other direction].
Didn't the valves come with an instruction leaflet?
--
Cheers,
Set Square