Posted to uk.d-i-y
Innovate808

Default Renewable Energy Challenge for UK folks...

Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and £2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Cheers
Innovate808

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Innovate808 wrote:
Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and ?2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Massive investment in thorium breeding pebble bed reactors, to replace all
fossil fuel electricity generation, with enough extra that everyone with gas
heating can rip it out, and longer term go to thermal hydrogen
generation for powering fuel cell based cars.

A point that often gets missed is that nuclear subsidies largely go to
UK workers.
Whereas oil and gas revenues largely go abroad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Innovate808
writes
Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and £2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Nowt to do with you then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:23:02 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Innovate808 wrote:
Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and ?2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Massive investment in thorium breeding pebble bed reactors, to replace all
fossil fuel electricity generation, with enough extra that everyone with gas
heating can rip it out, and longer term go to thermal hydrogen
generation for powering fuel cell based cars.

A point that often gets missed is that nuclear subsidies largely go to
UK workers.
Whereas oil and gas revenues largely go abroad.

A more relevant comparison would be between subsidising the nuclear power
industry (as at present) and the benefits of transferring the subsidies to
renewables and energy conservation. This would also benefit UK workers,
probably more so than buying dodgy reactor designs from USAnian
companies.

On the downside the workers wouldn't get to see in the dark by their own
glow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 03 Jan 2006 23:23:02 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Innovate808 wrote:
Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and ?2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Massive investment in thorium breeding pebble bed reactors, to replace all
fossil fuel electricity generation, with enough extra that everyone with gas
heating can rip it out, and longer term go to thermal hydrogen
generation for powering fuel cell based cars.

A point that often gets missed is that nuclear subsidies largely go to
UK workers.
Whereas oil and gas revenues largely go abroad.

One thing thats being missed in the nuclear debate, is the cost benefit
analysis between storing radiactive stuff in the ground for a million
years, and storing CO2 in the atmsophere for 5 million years, where it will
do FAR more harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:51:12 -0000, "Innovate808"
wrote:

Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and £2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

You have to PAY to enter? Stuff that!

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Innovate808 wrote:
[...]

It hasn't done much harm over the last 5 million years.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
wrote:
One thing thats being missed in the nuclear debate, is the cost benefit
analysis between storing radiactive stuff in the ground for a million
years, and storing CO2 in the atmsophere for 5 million years, where it
will do FAR more harm.

It hasn't done much harm over the last 5 million years.

OK but for two minor quibbles:

1. AFAIK no-one was digging up and burning fossil fuel in large quantitiies
prior to the last 300 years;

2. By 'not much harm' do you discount a mile or so of ice above this point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.inventors

Innovate808 wrote:

Don't know if you've seen this yet, as there's been no listings for it as
far as I can see. www.futurenergy.co.uk are running a challenge for those
who are a bit inventive (suppose that would include me) and offer royalties
and £2,500 for the best idea submitted to them. Dragon's Den, but without
the Dragons !!!

Cheers
Innovate808

"You don't need to be an expert in any of these fields to make useful
suggestions."

This is unlikely. The way these schemes work is they get flooded with
ideas from people too stupid to realise how stupid their ideas are.
Such ideas are mostly not inventions at all, not novel, not
competitive, and often dont work at all.

"Products in this category could therefore include a new mobile phone
charger that switches itself off completely when your phone's been
charged. The simplicity of this idea could in itself save millions of
watts of power each day in the UK alone, and could be introduced
without the end user being aware of the savings they have made."

This one is stone obvious and has been all along. It isnt always
implemented because it adds to manufacture cost, and the marketplace is
highly competitive. If this is the standard of ideas theyre looking
for, then either

1. theyre clueless
2. theyre looking to cash in on all those people that think they have
an idea worth pursuing, more or less all of which are junk.

£20 per personal 'idea' is nowhere near enough to evaluate them to any
useful degree, which begs the question of exactly what they will really
be doing with all these junk ideas.

The site says any succesful inventor will get a royalty agreement, but:
1. these things are not that easy to come by
2. they dont say what the percentage is!

This site will surely put off serious inventors.

Basically I think this is just another commercial exercise, making the
post spam. I've xposted it to alt.inventors, where it belongs if
anywhere, to give the opportunity for knowledgeable feedback.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:06:02 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

| In article .com,
| wrote:
| One thing thats being missed in the nuclear debate, is the cost benefit
| analysis between storing radiactive stuff in the ground for a million
| years, and storing CO2 in the atmsophere for 5 million years, whereit
| will do FAR more harm.
|
| It hasn't done much harm over the last 5 million years.
|
| OK but for two minor quibbles:
|
| 1. AFAIK no-one was digging up and burning fossil fuel in large quantitiies
| prior to the last 300 years;

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.

Ah yes but don't forget that every week, Brazil cuts down an area of
rain forest equivalent to 35 times the area of the UK...

David

[/clarkson]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.

Ah yes but don't forget that every week, Brazil cuts down an area of
rain forest equivalent to 35 times the area of the UK...

That's one weeks cutting, then Look up the land areas for yourself.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Clark

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:53:48 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote this (or the missive
included this):

1. AFAIK no-one was digging up and burning fossil fuel in large quantitiies
| prior to the last 300 years;

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Where did he hide his nuts?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

wrote:

| In article .com,
| wrote:
| One thing thats being missed in the nuclear debate, is the cost benefit
| analysis between storing radiactive stuff in the ground for a million
| years, and storing CO2 in the atmsophere for 5 million years, where it
| will do FAR more harm.
|
| It hasn't done much harm over the last 5 million years.
|
| OK but for two minor quibbles:
|
| 1. AFAIK no-one was digging up and burning fossil fuel in large quantitiies
| prior to the last 300 years;

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.

Right now AIUI the rain forest is taking up a lot of the CO2 and the
slightly increased CO2 levels are causing increased growth of forest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:44:20 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.

Ah yes but don't forget that every week, Brazil cuts down an area of
rain forest equivalent to 35 times the area of the UK...

I haven't the figures to hand but I know when something is magnitudes out.

....wikipedia...
UK 244,820 km^2
Brazil 8,547,403 km^2

Um.... Brazil is only 35 times bigger itself...

Perhaps it should be 1/35th the size of Britain each week.
That would be bad enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

[...]

Excuse me, but we're using the wrong units

There are only two official units of area - the size of Wales and an
Olympic swimming pool

Still frightening, isn't it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

You must remember that 6000 years ago most of the UK was covered in
Wild Wood, where a squirrel could travel from Lands End to John o'
Groats without touching the ground

Man has been cutting down this Wild Wood for 6000-10000 years. Then
burning/allowing the wood to rot, so producing CO2. There is some
evidence in Scientific American that atmospheric CO2 has been
increasing since the beginning of agriculture. And we complain about
Brazil and the Rain Forest.

Ah yes but don't forget that every week, Brazil cuts down an area of
rain forest equivalent to 35 times the area of the UK...

I haven't the figures to hand but I know when something is magnitudes out.

Ed, you snipped my [/clarkson]...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.inventors
Bret Cahill

The UK and N. Europe are the Saudi Arabias of rain.

If you could harness THAT power you'ld ge all set.

Bret Cahill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.inventors
Rodney Long

Bret Cahill wrote:

The UK and N. Europe are the Saudi Arabias of rain.

If you could harness THAT power you'ld ge all set.

Bret Cahill

Hay Bret,, they call that hydro electric,, that's what dams are for :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Solar Graham Harrison UK diy 115 December 11th 05 11:44 PM
Electric cars. The Natural Philosopher UK diy 104 December 3rd 05 11:12 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
MEG Scalar Energy Device Gunner Metalworking 4 July 12th 04 06:49 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM