Junior Member

Default How do I go through....Part P electrical reg

Currently building a large extesion - I want to do the electrics myself, this is well into building regs - whos even prewarned me he wants a certificate!

The moneys not the issue - I just want to do it myself (least I'll know its done correctly), I dont want some Politician with his head stuck up is &R${ dictating to me. - if you can understand what I mean!.

Assuming I'm a very compentant person (highest elctrical qualification ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) So what do I need (bare minimum) to do this legally?

Exams? Courses? Test equipment?

Regards

Cameron
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Cameron wrote:
Currently building a large extesion - I want to do the electrics
myself, this is well into building regs - whos even prewarned me he
wants a certificate!

The moneys not the issue - I just want to do it myself (least I'll
know its done correctly), I dont want some Politician with his head
stuck up is &R${ dictating to me. - if you can understand what I
mean!.

Assuming I'm a very compentant person (highest elctrical qualification
ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) So what do I need (bare
minimum) to do this legally?

Exams? Courses? Test equipment?

Regards

Cameron

You're clock is way out?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:33:04 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You're clock is way out?

Not a good start then ;-)

pedant

You are clock is way out?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:48:11 UTC, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:33:04 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You're clock is way out?

Not a good start then ;-)

pedant

You are clock is way out?

Invalid XHTML....no closing tag!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:46 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Currently building a large extesion - I want to do the electrics myself,
this is well into building regs - whos even prewarned me he wants a
certificate!

The moneys not the issue - I just want to do it myself (least I'll know
its done correctly), I dont want some Politician with his head stuck up
is &R${ dictating to me. - if you can understand what I mean!.

Assuming I'm a very compentant person (highest elctrical qualification
ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) So what do I need (bare
minimum) to do this legally?

Exams? Courses? Test equipment?

From what I've gleaned by reading up over the last few months on this
subject (so others with actual experience of the process may add/correct):

None of the above, legally. You need to submit a BNA for the electrical
work as it is presumably all notifiable, but since you're building an
extension, you have already done a BNA or full plans? You could have
included the electrical work on that I think? Ask your BCO if is would be
possible for you to amend the original application, otherwise submit a BNA.

The test equipment is a good idea for checking as you go, but not totally
necessary as it will get tested at completion.

A read of one of the guides to the IEE wiring regs, either John
Whitfield's Electrican's Guide or the On Site Guide will help clarify any
areas you may have missed and a copy of the latest IEE Wiring Regs, to
which both refer.

From my understanding, most Part P work is signed off on the strength of
zero or more in-progress (or first fix) inspections then a person the BCO
deems competent conducts a periodic inspection (PIR) at the end. In theory
you are not obliged to pay extra for this, the BNA fee covers it, though
some LBAs are trying to insist you do pay.

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Cameron
writes

Currently building a large extesion - I want to do the electrics
myself,
this is well into building regs - whos even prewarned me he wants a
certificate!

The moneys not the issue - I just want to do it myself (least I'll know
its done correctly), I dont want some Politician with his head stuck up
is &R${ dictating to me. - if you can understand what I mean!.

Assuming I'm a very compentant person (highest elctrical qualification
ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering) So what do I need (bare
minimum) to do this legally?

Exams? Courses? Test equipment?

You don't need anything.

The work is covered by Building regs approval in the same way as any
other relevant work on the extension.

check with them at what stages they want the work checked. From reports
here, some have wanted the first fix checked some were happy with a
final inspection.

Note it seems a number of Building Control depts are telling people that
they need to pay extra to get it inspected by an electrician. This
really isn't the case, and they have been told so specifically by the
ODPM (a url for the info has been posted here a few times).

It should be covered by the fee you pay to BC, and AIUI it is their
responsibility not yours to organises the inspection.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

chris French wrote:

Note it seems a number of Building Control depts are telling people that
they need to pay extra to get it inspected by an electrician. This
really isn't the case, and they have been told so specifically by the
ODPM (a url for the info has been posted here a few times).

It should be covered by the fee you pay to BC, and AIUI it is their
responsibility not yours to organises the inspection.

I'd love to know whether anyone has successfully challenged the extra
fee, no doubt endearing themselves greatly to their local building
control dept - I anticipate having to try it on myself one of these days....

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

I'd love to know whether anyone has successfully challenged the extra
fee, no doubt endearing themselves greatly to their local building
control dept - I anticipate having to try it on myself one of these
days....

With any luck, the BCOs themselves have nothing to do with the handling
of fees anyway - that will fall to some accounts person. So you can
probably give them an earful when you get the invoice and not worry too
much about antagonising the BCO... but then again, who knows ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Junior Member

Looking Good!!

So let me see if I've got this straight....

I can notify the building inspector that I am a competant person and intend to do the electrics myself (I guess sensibly after the roof and windows inspection)

I baffle him by supplying drawings, and various test readings....

He will inspect or arrange to have it inspected the work.

But there may be an arguement about costs!

Sounds perfect! - assuming I've read it correctly.

Thankyou all, ever so much, it is most appreciated.

Cameron

Oh yes whats this waffle about time/clock being out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak

Tim S wrote:
From my understanding, most Part P work is signed off on the strength of
zero or more in-progress (or first fix) inspections then a person the BCO
deems competent conducts a periodic inspection (PIR) at the end. In theory
you are not obliged to pay extra for this, the BNA fee covers it, though
some LBAs are trying to insist you do pay.

I've just been through exactly this process. Large extension. I did all
the wiring under building notice. It wasn't on the opriginal
application, but I just informed the BCO I'd be doing the wiring myself
and he arranged a (single) visit at first fix. I did all the testing
myself (cost about GBP70 inc VAT to hire the tester for a week) because
I was more comfortable doing that and finding any problems myself than
someone else finding my mistakes. As it happens there weren't any! I
also wanted to learn how to do the testing and inspection for my own
interest. Not particularly difficult, but a bit of reading required -
as Tim suggested get a good book. And hope the tester instuction manual
is well written!

Lots of paperwork to fill in (test resutls and inspection checklist)
which are downloadable from the IEE website.

I will submit my results shortly and then hopefully we can have our
final inspection - hurrrahh!

Regards,
Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Tournifreak wrote:
I did all the testing myself (cost about GBP70 inc VAT to hire the
tester for a week) because I was more comfortable doing that and finding
any problems myself than someone else finding my mistakes. As it happens
there weren't any!

If you take care this is the norm. A fault would most likely be caused by
damaged wiring.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You're clock is way out?

You are clock is way out?

His clock may be out, but at least he has a grasp of basic grammar.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Cameron wrote:
Oh yes whats this waffle about time/clock being out?

Look at the posts you've already made to this thread, and check the time
they were apparently made: eg the above one was at 8:35 am - don't think
so! It tends to bugger up some folks' newsreaders, so they get tetchy...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 2 Jan 2006 23:00:24 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

pedant

You are clock is way out?

Invalid XHTML....no closing tag!

Who said I had finished being pedantic? ;-)

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Lobster
writes
Cameron wrote:
Oh yes whats this waffle about time/clock being out?

Look at the posts you've already made to this thread, and check the
time they were apparently made: eg the above one was at 8:35 am - don't
think so!

It seems Cameron is posting via diybanter, so the clock setting is
presumably nothing to do with him.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:35:47 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Thankyou

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:35:47 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Thankyou

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Shouldn't it be "Thank you" are two words? :-)

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message ...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:35:47 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Thankyou

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Shouldn't it be "Thank you" are two words? :-)

--
Chris Green

No "Thank You" is a phrase and this phrase IS two words, although "Thank"
and "You" ARE two words.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
wrote in message ...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:35:47 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Thankyou

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Shouldn't it be "Thank you" are two words? :-)

--
Chris Green

No "Thank You" is a phrase and this phrase IS two words, although "Thank"
and "You" ARE two words.

"Thank You" is a two word phrase, yes, but "Thank you" is two words,
hmm, maybe or maybe not.

You wouldn't say "my son and daughter is two children" would you?

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Does 'anal retentive' have a hyphen?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

david lang wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Does 'anal retentive' have a hyphen?

Well, that would depend whether you were using it as an adjectival
phrase or not, wouldn't it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message ...
John wrote:
wrote in message
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:35:47 +0000, Cameron wrote:

Thankyou

[1] Set the clock on your PC
[2] "Thank you" is two words

Shouldn't it be "Thank you" are two words? :-)

--
Chris Green

No "Thank You" is a phrase and this phrase IS two words, although "Thank"
and "You" ARE two words.

"Thank You" is a two word phrase, yes, but "Thank you" is two words,
hmm, maybe or maybe not.

You wouldn't say "my son and daughter is two children" would you?

No I wouldn't say that but neither would you as you agrre with my
explanation if you read your reply to my posting carefully, i.e. .....but
"Thank you" is two words. This is exactly what Nigel said in the first
place!

Cheers

John