SC

Default Home Building and Renovating show at Wembley 12-14th Sept

Has anybody been to this before? Is it worth a visit? Got free tickets out
of a magazine.

Suzanne
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get
its pants on."

IMM

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"SC" wrote:

Has anybody been to this before? Is it worth a visit? Got free tickets

out
of a magazine.

Suzanne
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to

get
its pants on."

Depends what your interests are. We've visited two H&R shows - a "small"
one in Harrogate and a "very big" one at the NEC Birmingham. Loads of
people trying to sell you products with which to build a house or
renovate it. Lots of free paper and plastic bags to be had, occasionally
a free goodie (at the NEC we had a pack of 20 no8 x 1.5" screws from
MaintainIT!) and seminars given which may or may not be of interest to
you. Occasionally you'll find special offers available, and some
exhibitors will sell off display items, which you have to collect at
closedown.

If you have a house to build, a renovation to complete or a very large
extension to diy then it's worth going. If you just fancy a look around
the stands then it may be worth waiting for one of the smaller shows as
the crowds can get very tiresome.

If you fancy a seminar, get to the show as early as possible and book
your seat immediately - by elevenses they will all have gone. If David
Snell is giving a talk by all means go.

David Snell? What is he on about?

---

SC

"No-one" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:41:34 +0100, "SC" wrote:

Has anybody been to this before? Is it worth a visit? Got free tickets

out
of a magazine.

Which magazine ?

Homebuilding and Renovating. Can't remember the issue and as I've just had
my tea, I'm too lazy to get off the sofa to find out, but it has a picture
of a traditional stone house on the front, with blue sky above.

Suz

Martin Angove

In message ,
"IMM" wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

If you fancy a seminar, get to the show as early as possible and book
your seat immediately - by elevenses they will all have gone. If David
Snell is giving a talk by all means go.

David Snell? What is he on about?

David Snell seems to do a couple of seminars at practically every H&R
show I've seen advertised. There may well be other people worth seeing,
but since they're less regular I can't say.

David is the (co) author of such as the "red book" and the "blue book"
(at least that's what we call them) otherwise known as "Building Your
Own Home" (Murray Armour, but DS is now in charge) and "The Home Plans
Book" (likewise). If you are starting down the self-build route then he
has a wealth of knowledge to impart, particularly about finding plots
and getting planning. He writes regularly in H&R, and sometimes in the
other magazines I think.

Just thought - if Mark Brinkley is speaking, that's another definite
visit. He's the author of the "orange book" ("The Housebuilder's
Bible"). He often has a stand at the shows too, selling the book and
several other items of interest.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
Steve Shep

"SC" wrote in message

"No-one" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:41:34 +0100, "SC" wrote:

Has anybody been to this before? Is it worth a visit? Got free

tickets
out
of a magazine.

Which magazine ?

Homebuilding and Renovating. Can't remember the issue and as I've just

had
my tea, I'm too lazy to get off the sofa to find out, but it has a picture
of a traditional stone house on the front, with blue sky above.

Suz

I went to one of these in Peterborough and it was pretty poor. Very few
exhibitors. Lots of underfloor heating companies. It was mostly aimed at
new builds rather than renovations. I got free tickets as well and it still
wasn't worth it...

Steve

IMM

"Suz" wrote in message

[...]

Oh no don't tell me that. Hubby is being despatched, and cheap flights

with
Easyjet are booked. Just as well we ARE considering underfloor heating...

The one at the NEC is good. Well lots of stalls and people.

---