Rob Griffiths

Default Help - broken ceramic hob

I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

I really don't want to spend this type of money until I've re-modelled
the kitchen (as a similar accident could occur ...)

The halogen and ceramic elements all still work, but the whole surface
now flexes if pressure is applied (because of the cracks). I'm wondering
whether as a stop gap I could just lay a sheet of thick heat resistant
glass over the entire surface?

Does this sound sensible?

If it does, what type of glass do I need and where could I get it?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Bob Mannix

"Rob Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

I really don't want to spend this type of money until I've re-modelled
the kitchen (as a similar accident could occur ...)

Why don't you claim on your insurance - that's what it's there for (assuming
it is there).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

AK

"Rob Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

If you have accidental damage on your contents insurance then make a claim -
if not, remember to get accidental damage put on!

AK wrote:

"Rob Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

If you have accidental damage on your contents insurance then make a claim -
if not, remember to get accidental damage put on!

.... and watch as your premiums (and everyone else's) go sky high as
everyone starts claiming for every little breakage in the home.

--
Chris Green
Peter Andrews

wrote in message ...
AK wrote:

"Rob Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed

drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me

sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

If you have accidental damage on your contents insurance then make a

claim -
if not, remember to get accidental damage put on!

... and watch as your premiums (and everyone else's) go sky high as
everyone starts claiming for every little breakage in the home.

--
Chris Green

A friend discovered that this was covered as broken glass on his household
insurance when he dropped his cooker hood when decorating.... You can but
ask.

Pete C

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:21:01 +0100, Rob Griffiths
wrote:

I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

I really don't want to spend this type of money until I've re-modelled
the kitchen (as a similar accident could occur ...)

The halogen and ceramic elements all still work, but the whole surface
now flexes if pressure is applied (because of the cracks). I'm wondering
whether as a stop gap I could just lay a sheet of thick heat resistant
glass over the entire surface?

Does this sound sensible?

If it does, what type of glass do I need and where could I get it?

Hi,

If you can't claim the hob on insurance and the top sheet can be
removed, a sheet of ceramic glass is what you need:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ic+glass+sheet
http://www.skan.co.uk/heat.htm
http://www.jmoncrieff.co.uk/Sites/glassforhome.html

cheers,
Pete.
BillV

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message ...
AK wrote:

[...]

If it was a fixed hob then it would probably be covered by the BUILDING
insurance, mine was.
However, the OP says its freestanding which may be covered by the contents
ins, but probably not.

Rob Griffiths

Thanks for the pointers to ceramic glass and thanks for the suggestion
to claim on contents cover - I hadn't thought of that!

Rob
Ian Stirling

wrote:

[...]

Do you happen to know of a vendor that'll supply cut panes?

Pete C

On 27 Jul 2004 22:56:29 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

If you can't claim the hob on insurance and the top sheet can be
removed, a sheet of ceramic glass is what you need:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ic+glass+sheet
http://www.skan.co.uk/heat.htm
http://www.jmoncrieff.co.uk/Sites/glassforhome.html

Do you happen to know of a vendor that'll supply cut panes?

Hi,

AFIACR someone on here bought a sheet from Skan, and collected it from
the factory. The maufacturers might have details of local agents
though.

cheers,
Pete.
Ian Stirling

wrote:

If you can't claim the hob on insurance and the top sheet can be
removed, a sheet of ceramic glass is what you need:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ic+glass+sheet
http://www.skan.co.uk/heat.htm
http://www.jmoncrieff.co.uk/Sites/glassforhome.html

Do you happen to know of a vendor that'll supply cut panes?

Hi,

AFIACR someone on here bought a sheet from Skan, and collected it from
the factory. The maufacturers might have details of local agents
though.

Possibly.
Unfortunately, collection isn't an option.
I'll probably try phoning round on monday.
The Natural Philosopher

Rob Griffiths wrote:

I have a Stoves, freestanding oven with ceramic hob. Today I managed to
drop a jar of spices on top of the ceramic hob - it is now badly
cracked. Phoned up Stoves who told me that to supply me with a
replacement hob component would cost me £500+. That knocked me sideways
a bit as the the whole cooker cost about £700!

Last time I did that it was 200 quid.

No real answer. If its a ditzy style statemnent then you are in their
handfs, or live with the crack.

You can re-enamel an aga top for only 200 quid...:-)

I really don't want to spend this type of money until I've re-modelled
the kitchen (as a similar accident could occur ...)

The halogen and ceramic elements all still work, but the whole surface
now flexes if pressure is applied (because of the cracks). I'm wondering
whether as a stop gap I could just lay a sheet of thick heat resistant
glass over the entire surface?

Does this sound sensible?

No. Might try a heat resistant Epoxy, or CA glue?