Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Default Glue

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:18:02 GMT, "john"
wrote:

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
covers but I don't know what it is.

I've always referred to it as "snot".

Also wondered about silicone sealant.

I think that that would be better and more permanent.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:18:02 GMT
"john" wrote:

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent
holiday into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto
magazine covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about
silicone sealant.

Hot-melt glue might be suitable. Small dabs. It's very fast.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
covers but I don't know what it is.

I've always referred to it as "snot".

But a lot better than the stuff they used before when you had to tear
the mag to get the item off...

Also wondered about silicone sealant.

I think that that would be better and more permanent.

With the nozzle cut to give a very small opening ..

Or a glue gun if heat isn't a problem ..

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.

--

For those of you who always wanted to know what
sand dollars were ..lol

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curati...LARS/INTRO.jsp

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Scott

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:18:02 +0000, john wrote:

Any ideas for a suitable glue please.

My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent
holiday into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate. I was
thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.

I made a shell display like that once. I made the box frame out of thin
MDF sheet and 10mm square moulding, and painted it with coloured
woodstain. Then when dry, laid it on its back and poured in a layer of PVA
glue (the kind which dries clear/translucent) to a thickness of 2-3mm.
Arranged the shells and some stones/pebbles in that, then poured over
beach sand to fill all the spaces between the shells etc. After leaving it
for a couple of days for the glue to set, I tipped out the surplus sand
and stood back to admire it. Worked jolly well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| Any ideas for a suitable glue please.
|
| My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
| into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
| I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
| covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.

The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
http://www.gluegunsdirect.com/ which are commonly available, ours
came from Aldi.
You put a glue stick in the back, it gets heated up and you squeeze
hot glue out of the nozzle with a trigger. The glue is fairly stiff
and thickens rapidly.

They work well if you are fast, because the glue stops being glue when
it cools in maybe 1/2 minute. Keep your fingers out of the way you
may get a mild burn.

Hot glue should be OK for sea shells, which are fairly strong. and
being calcium carbonate should stand the heat.

Never seen a sand dollar, but Google gave me this.
http://www.seashells.org/cleaning/sanddollar.htm
They seem to be fragile so pushing them onto hot glue may well break
them.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

| Any ideas for a suitable glue please.
|
| My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recent holiday
| into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
| I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
| covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.

The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
http://www.gluegunsdirect.com/ which are commonly available, ours
came from Aldi.
You put a glue stick in the back, it gets heated up and you squeeze
hot glue out of the nozzle with a trigger. The glue is fairly stiff
and thickens rapidly.

You sure about that .....so this glue from the glue gun..You can roll
it up when cool like the stuff they use on magazines .???

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:54:00 +0000, Stuart
wrote:

| On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:50:28 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:18:02 GMT, "john"
| wrote:
|
| | Any ideas for a suitable glue please.
| |
| | My wife want to mount some sea shells and sand dollars from a recentholiday
| | into a box type picture frame. The shells are very delicate.
| | I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto magazine
| | covers but I don't know what it is. Also wondered about silicone sealant.
|
| The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
| http://www.gluegunsdirect.com/ which are commonly available, ours
| came from Aldi.
| You put a glue stick in the back, it gets heated up and you squeeze
| hot glue out of the nozzle with a trigger. The glue is fairly stiff
| and thickens rapidly.
|

| You sure about that .....so this glue from the glue gun..You can roll
| it up when cool like the stuff they use on magazines .???

Yep. All tests show them to be identical.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
http://tinyurl.com/c3ll, Killfile&Anti Troll FAQs http://tinyurl.com/c3lo
Tyke Dialect http://tinyurl.com/c3ls Curry Project, http://tinyurl.com/1q6
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don

Default Glue for sea shells

I made a shell display like that once. I made the box frame out of thin
MDF sheet and 10mm square moulding, and painted it with coloured
woodstain. Then when dry, laid it on its back and poured in a layer of PVA
glue (the kind which dries clear/translucent) to a thickness of 2-3mm.
Arranged the shells and some stones/pebbles in that, then poured over
beach sand to fill all the spaces between the shells etc. After leaving it
for a couple of days for the glue to set, I tipped out the surplus sand
and stood back to admire it. Worked jolly well.

That sounds like an excellent technique , I must make a note of your message
for future ref.
Cheers
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun

Are you sure? I thought they used water based adhesives
such as http://www.basicadhesives.com/mailing.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun

Are you sure? I thought they used water based adhesives
such as http://www.basicadhesives.com/mailing.htm

You certainly can get peelable adhesive to be used with a glue gun -
whether it's used for cover discs I don't know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun

Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score sheet. Dave
Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:48:41 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
|
| Are you sure? I thought they used water based adhesives
| such as http://www.basicadhesives.com/mailing.htm

One reason I think it is the same stuff, apart from the look and feel
which are identical, is that it goes from sticky to solid *very* fast.
If I were designing a production line, for sticking CDs into
magazines, that is one thing I would insist on. So that the things
do not get gummed up with glue further down the line. Water based
glues take a long time to go non gluey.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
http://tinyurl.com/c3ll, Killfile&Anti Troll FAQs http://tinyurl.com/c3lo
Tyke Dialect http://tinyurl.com/c3ls Curry Project, http://tinyurl.com/1q6
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:17:29 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
|
| Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score sheet. Dave
| Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.

If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(

Your paranoia is showing :-)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
http://tinyurl.com/c3ll, Killfile&Anti Troll FAQs http://tinyurl.com/c3lo
Tyke Dialect http://tinyurl.com/c3ls Curry Project, http://tinyurl.com/1q6

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
|
| Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score sheet. Dave
| Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.

If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(

Your paranoia is showing :-)

Oh look smileys, first refuge of the stupid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue
gun
| | Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score sheet.
Dave | Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.

If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(

Your paranoia is showing :-)

Oh look smileys, first refuge of the stupid.

Hmm. You both seem to be using some sort of smiley.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Chris Bacon wrote:

wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a
glue gun
| | Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score
sheet. Dave | Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.

If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(

Your paranoia is showing :-)

Oh look smileys, first refuge of the stupid.

Hmm. You both seem to be using some sort of smiley.

Umm no.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:45:58 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:17:29 +0000, Steve Firth
| wrote:
|
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| |
| | The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a glue gun
| |
| | Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score sheet. Dave
| | Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.
|
| If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(
|
| Your paranoia is showing :-)
|
| Oh look smileys, first refuge of the stupid.

A change of the tablets might improve your unfortunate condition
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..But I doubt it.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Steve Firth wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
wrote:
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | The stuff they stick CDs onto a magazine is hot glue from a
glue gun
| | Nope wrong again, good to see you going for a perfect score
sheet. Dave | Fawthrop 100% wrong 100% of the time.

If I said that rain was wet you would insist that it was dry :-(

Your paranoia is showing :-)
Oh look smileys, first refuge of the stupid.

Hmm. You both seem to be using some sort of smiley.

Umm no.

Umm re-reading that in the cold light of morning I see. Apols.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Chris Bacon wrote:

Umm re-reading that in the cold light of morning I see. Apols.

Seeing as you're a Thunderbird user, you might be interested in the
following tip to emphasise quoting by setting increasingly dark
backgrounds for the quoted levels in addition to the usual colour bars
in the margin.

Add the following

blockquote[type=cite] {
color: navy !important; background-color: RGB(245,245,245)
!important; border-right: 0px !important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
color: maroon !important; background-color: RGB(235,235,235)
!important; border-right: 0px !important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
color: green !important; background-color: RGB(225,225,225)
!important; border-right: 0px !important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
color: purple !important; background-color: RGB(215,215,215)
!important; border-right: 0px !important;
}
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
color: teal !important; background-color: RGB(205,205,205)
!important; border-right: 0px !important;
}

to your
%APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles\Default\xxxxxxxx.sl t\Chrome\UserContent.css
file.

Note that %APPDATA% will usually be C:\Documents and Settings\YourName,
and xxxxxxxx is a random string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

[...]

Is there a way to get rid of the quotes altogether? Well, maybe just
keep the most recent
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Stuart Noble wrote:

Is there a way to get rid of the quotes altogether? Well, maybe just
keep the most recent

You could try setting the CSS property on the level(s) you want to hide
to be "display: none"

e.g.

blockquote[type=cite] {
color: navy !important;
background-color: RGB(245,245,245) !important;
border-right: 0px !important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
display: none !important;
}

If you're lucky that would also catch all deeper nesting levels too, as
you can tell I haven't tried, if it doesn't catch the deeper levels add
all the "blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote" nestings as deep
as you want ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Andy Burns wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Is there a way to get rid of the quotes altogether? Well, maybe just
keep the most recent

You could try setting the CSS property on the level(s) you want to hide
to be "display: none"

e.g.

blockquote[type=cite] {
color: navy !important;
background-color: RGB(245,245,245) !important;
border-right: 0px !important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
display: none !important;
}

If you're lucky that would also catch all deeper nesting levels too, as
you can tell I haven't tried, if it doesn't catch the deeper levels add
all the "blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote" nestings as deep
as you want ....

Thanks for the info, but I don't seem to have a UserContent.css file,
and the chrome directory is empty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Stuart Noble wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I don't seem to have a UserContent.css file,
and the chrome directory is empty.

That's OK, the file doesn't normally exist, just create it with notepad

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Andy Burns wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I don't seem to have a UserContent.css file,
and the chrome directory is empty.

That's OK, the file doesn't normally exist, just create it with notepad

Thanks. I'll give that a go
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Les Desser

In article , john
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:18:02 writes

I was thinking of something like the stuff used to stick CDs onto
magazine covers but I don't know what it is.

Cow Gum
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Les Desser wrote:
Cow Gum

Oh! Cow Gum!! Can it still be bought?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Les Desser

In article , Chris Bacon
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:03:59 writes

Les Desser wrote:
Cow Gum

Oh! Cow Gum!! Can it still be bought?

Seems like not by that name but there is a replacement - have a Google.