Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default HELP! Urgent tiling Q

Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

I suggest you buy some adhesive. Although some cement based grouts will
stick tiles, they'll probably all come pinging off sooner or later.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

I would like to remind my learned friend of the experiences of one Mungo
Toadfoot when he used the wrong material for the job:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/2736eccfcadee5f6/bdeade72bf185a1a?lnk=st&q=(floor+OR+tiles)+author% 3Atoadfoot&rnum=9&hl=en#bdeade72bf185a1a

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Mary Fisher wrote:
Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Absolutely not
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

To all - especially Si for pointing out my failing memory ... :-)

THANK YOU!

I'll send him out now.

Plumbing/tiling/cleaning/painting etc over Christmas. Eating (haunch of
venison) in the caravan.

It will be all the better for not worrying about the tiles :-)

Mary

p.s. will anyone have a use for a part bag of white grout?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:24:09 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

Mary

There used to be a product called "Fix-n-grout" that did exactly this.
It tasted just like normal grout to me..

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

No - use the right stuff. Use the _good_ stuff. In particular, don't be
tempted by anything that's a combination fix and grout. If you're
looking to save money, the dry tile cements and grouts are cheaper than
the pre-mixes and it's hardly difficult to mix them up.

The difference in tiling with these products is huge. Use the right
stuff, it'll make the tiling so much easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

sPoNiX wrote:

There used to be a product called "Fix-n-grout" that did exactly this.
It tasted just like normal grout to me..

Sponix, I notice you seem to have a habbit of *tasting* diy substances
(SDS gear box grease for one) to check similarity with other materials.
Have you found any drawbacks with this method? Any glowing teeth while
smiling at the mirror in the dark?

:-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

No - use the right stuff. Use the _good_ stuff. In particular, don't be
tempted by anything that's a combination fix and grout. If you're
looking to save money, the dry tile cements and grouts are cheaper than
the pre-mixes and it's hardly difficult to mix them up.

Thanks, Andy, he went out and bought the right stuff. He did mention that
they had some combination stuff but there's no point since we have this
large, unopened bag of grout.

The cost isn't an issue. it's only a couple of square metres. But compared
with the cost of the solar heating system plus piping, fittings, lagging,
storage tank, immersion heater etc AND the replacement central heating
boiler plus extra piping and fittings needed for that AND the eco and Farrow
and Ball paint a few bob saved on powders would be insignificant :-)

He prefers to mix his own anyway ...

The difference in tiling with these products is huge. Use the right
stuff, it'll make the tiling so much easier.

He will be doing, I'm glad I asked. I showed him the previous replies and he
accepted the advice. Tiling is a new venture for him, a son in law who's a
super tiler has moved to France.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

"Adrian C" wrote in message
sPoNiX wrote:

There used to be a product called "Fix-n-grout" that did exactly this.
It tasted just like normal grout to me..

Sponix, I notice you seem to have a habbit of *tasting* diy substances
(SDS gear box grease for one) to check similarity with other materials.
Have you found any drawbacks with this method? Any glowing teeth while
smiling at the mirror in the dark?

Well, I wouldn't advise eating plumbing flux as it makes your burps taste
funny for weeks.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"sponix" wrote in message

"Adrian C" wrote in message
sPoNiX wrote:

There used to be a product called "Fix-n-grout" that did exactly this.
It tasted just like normal grout to me..

Sponix, I notice you seem to have a habbit of *tasting* diy substances
(SDS gear box grease for one) to check similarity with other materials.
Have you found any drawbacks with this method? Any glowing teeth while
smiling at the mirror in the dark?

Well, I wouldn't advise eating plumbing flux as it makes your burps taste
funny for weeks.

That sounds like the voice of experience ...

Mary

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

To all - especially Si for pointing out my failing memory ... :-)

THANK YOU!

I'll send him out now.

Plumbing/tiling/cleaning/painting etc over Christmas. Eating (haunch of
venison) in the caravan.

It will be all the better for not worrying about the tiles :-)

Mary

p.s. will anyone have a use for a part bag of white grout?

Try the roof of the television (or is it the weather) centre on Xmas day
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
johnty

Mary Fisher wrote:
Can you stick ceramic tiles to walls with grout?

Is it as effective as tile adhesive?

We have some tiles and an enormous bagof grout ...

I did about 21 sq ft of tiling in arkitchen using grout . Before saying
'oops' - then 'bugger'.

Got various bits of advice, (mainly 'didn't you read the label first')
but I left them in place and they're still there as good as if I knew
what I was doing.