Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

Default Air vents for central heating

I have some small so called bleed vent things on upright pipes in my loft
..My heating pipes are in the loft. I was told they were auto air removers
,they are large egg cup size with a small plastic screw on top , how do
these work (if at all) Regards E

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

leveled wrote:
I have some small so called bleed vent things on upright pipes in
my loft .My heating pipes are in the loft. I was told they were auto air
removers ,they are large egg cup size with a small
plastic screw on top , how do these work (if at all) Regards E

I guess you loosen the screw periodically and let any air out, like bleeding
a rad?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:54:53 +0000, leveled wrote:

I have some small so called bleed vent things on upright pipes in my loft
.My heating pipes are in the loft. I was told they were auto air removers
,they are large egg cup size with a small plastic screw on top , how do
these work (if at all) Regards E

There's a float inside the chamber which closes off the vent at the top
when water gets into the chamber. If the dust cap's on tight it won't
automatically bleed (but will stop water escaping if the float sticks)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
leveled

So how should I manage these ? make sure they are all loose (the plastic
screw) ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

leveled wrote:
So how should I manage these ? make sure they are all loose (the plastic
screw) ??

When you're in the vicinity, loosen the cap. If they're working
properly AND there's air in the system, there'll be a
"hisssssssssssssssssssss, thump" as air leaks out and the valve closes.
Probably best to turn the pump off before doing this.

Leave the caps screwed down normally 'cos they're not 100% reliable &
are probe to leak water all over. A good system shouldn't collect any
air in normal operation, so the ususal practice is to leave the cap
open for a week (after refilling) or so until all air is removed, and
then close them. If they're in the loft, ensure they're insulated over
to avoid freezing & splitting them (and everything else besides).