Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Default Dragons' Den

Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

He demonstrated the principle, on a unit which seemed to have an
enclosure the size of a shoe box above the ceiling. He then
passed round samples packed as if for sale, which were the same
size as a regular fitting. He subsequently explained that these
were simply non-working mockups.

It was then obvious that his demonstration unit has a big
concealed mechanism, and he had not solved the problem of fitting
it in the space of a standard ceiling rose.

I have doubts that he would ever be able to do that - he has to
incorporate energy storage for the rise and fall, the usual
electrical terminals plus an electrical disconnection mechanism
which is safe, and proof against poor contact.

Am I the only skeptic?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

I didn't see it but how do you pull the bulb down without a stepladder
in the first place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I didn't see it but how do you pull the bulb down without a stepladder
in the first place?

A hook on a stick, unless you are tall ?
What was the product that they rejected after the bloke said something
ignorant about VAT ? I missed that bit.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:46:38 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way of
adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness. IKEA do them too, I
believe.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Convery

wrote in message
ups.com...
I didn't see it but how do you pull the bulb down without a stepladder
in the first place?

A hook on a stick, unless you are tall ?
What was the product that they rejected after the bloke said something
ignorant about VAT ? I missed that bit.
Simon.

No it had nothing to do with VAT. It was rejected as it was just an idea
which had not really been developed, prototyped etc. They only invest thier
money where there is a fairly good chance of success i.e. they already have
prototypes / actual items etc.

The VAT one was the 3 wheels sitting down bike thing.

The interesting one was the Bedlam Cube - After agreeing to get finance off
the Dragons he ended up getting the money from the Bank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Convery

wrote:

Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way of
adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness. IKEA do them too, I
believe.

MM

How do you adjust the ambient light/ cosiness by pulling down a slight
fitting (which disconnects it from the elecy - well it did in his 'demo')

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

wrote:

Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way of
adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness. IKEA do them too, I
believe.

MM

How do you adjust the ambient light/ cosiness by pulling down a slight
fitting (which disconnects it from the elecy - well it did in his 'demo')

Can get pretty cosy in the dark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

[Mm] :
These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way
of adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness.

I remember them now. I think the intended use was over a dining table.
The ones I recall had a cord going from the holder into a spring loaded
reel in the rose running through the mains flex which was spiral
extensible (like most phone handsets).

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:48:46 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

[Mm] :
These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way
of adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness.

I remember them now. I think the intended use was over a dining table.
The ones I recall had a cord going from the holder into a spring loaded
reel in the rose running through the mains flex which was spiral
extensible (like most phone handsets).

Mum and Dad still have one in the lounge. It's conical lump in the
drop cable on the centre light and seems balanced to the weight of the
lamp / shade fitting. A gentle pull lowers it (probably down to table
height) and supporting the weight of the light raises it. Been there
as long as I remember and that's 30+ years now.

Being 6' 2" I rarely need ladders for light fittings ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:40:48 -0000, "Rob Convery"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way of
adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness. IKEA do them too, I
believe.

MM

How do you adjust the ambient light/ cosiness by pulling down a slight
fitting (which disconnects it from the elecy - well it did in his 'demo')

The ones I've seen *don't* disconnect the leccy! You pull 'em down to
the required position, half-way, all the way, whatever, and they stay
there. Then you can push them back up again if you want more light to
do the Hoovering.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:24:40 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:48:46 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

[Mm] :
[...]

Those Dragons Den people though, they are really sour, aren't they?
And why does the programme have to be made in a garret? Why not a
flashy modern studio where the 'contestants' didn't have to lug their
contraptions up those old Dickens stairs and perch them on that
rickety table? Also, the intro with Rachel getting out of the car or
taxi and the voiceover wibbling on about Red Letter Days, whose recent
history we're all certain to be aware of by now, well, I just have to
wonder whether the producers are as daft as they think we must be.

The only person with some reasonable degree of charisma and a sense of
fair play is Peter Jones, the smart one on the end. I believe he tries
to remain a little detached from the others - with good reason, if so.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

[...]

It doesnt sound like a very decent approach to the problem. Just from
reading this thread I can think of a better way to do it which solves
all those problems. And IIUC he didnt have a saleable product anyway.

Unfortunately the world of product innovation is filled with mostly
junk, often described as invention when its nothing of the sort.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Did anybody see the ceiling light rose on this week's programme?

The idea seemed to be to have a light fitting, with a rise and
fall mechanism which disconnected the power when it was pulled
down to change a bulb, so making a stepladder unnecessary.

We used to have a light fitting like that - it came from Habitat around
1976. The top fitting was quite bulky (gold anodised Al), but it did differ
from the featured model in that the flex extended and the lamp remained lit
at any level.

The featured lamp was only pulled down on a thin string - not the flex - so
would be a lot less bulky, though what kind of connection would be needed to
mate the flex with the ceiling rose when it is up. I suspect it would be a
*lot* more substantial than the white ceiling rose in the mock-up boxes on
TV.

Looks like he had a neat idea (and I do think it is a neat idea) but needs
an engineer to tell him how feasible it would be.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[Mm] :
These things were available in Germany when I lived there in the
1970s. But it was not so much an aid to bulb replacement as a way
of adjusting the amount of ambient light/cosiness.

I remember them now. I think the intended use was over a dining table.
The ones I recall had a cord going from the holder into a spring loaded
reel in the rose running through the mains flex which was spiral
extensible (like most phone handsets).

I think the modern ones do that. The 70's version actually coiled the flex
up inside the ceiling rose (about the size of a baked bean can). There was
some kind of concentric-ring connector inside, so the flex could wind up,
which the coiled-flex version does not need.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

"MM" wrote in message
Those Dragons Den people though, they are really sour, aren't they?

Ah - production values ;-) Have you noticed how every little expression is
slowed right down, to make it look like the Dragons are pulling faces all
the time? It is also difficult to tell whether the sour looks really do
happen when they are made to look like they do - the editting is clever, and
goes with the music to set the scene.

And why does the programme have to be made in a garret? Why not a
flashy modern studio where the 'contestants' didn't have to lug their
contraptions up those old Dickens stairs and perch them on that
rickety table? Also, the intro with Rachel getting out of the car or
taxi and the voiceover wibbling on about Red Letter Days, whose recent
history we're all certain to be aware of by now, well, I just have to
wonder whether the producers are as daft as they think we must be.

The only person with some reasonable degree of charisma and a sense of
fair play is Peter Jones, the smart one on the end. I believe he tries
to remain a little detached from the others - with good reason, if so.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Alex wrote:
wrote:
I didn't see it but how do you pull the bulb down without a
stepladder in the first place?

You use an extending pole like this
http://tinyurl.com/92qv9 with a bulb
changer like these
http://tinyurl.com/7ky4d fitted to the end instead of a brush.

Been around for donkeys years.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sid

Blueyonder wrote:
Looks like he had a neat idea (and I do think it is a neat idea) but needs
an engineer to tell him how feasible it would be.

I'm an engineer and I can tell you that all he has is an idea - the one
thing that would be needed to make this work he doesn't seem to have
(and I doubt it would be practical). That is a way to ensure that the
electrical contacts are securely made when the fitting assends back
into place. Anyone who has owned anything "retractable" will know that
after using it a few times it will tend to get a little reluctant to
retract fully. You must have found seat belts that need a jiggle to get
them to retract fully, tape measures that need to be worked in and out
a couple of times etc. This is because the retracting force is least at
the end of the travel. This is where you need to guarantee that it will
pull hard if you are going to get a good latch and a safe electrical
connection. As this product stands all I see is an expensive device for
causing electrical fires five or ten years after fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Spice

"Sid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Blueyonder wrote:
Looks like he had a neat idea (and I do think it is a neat idea) but

needs
an engineer to tell him how feasible it would be.

Snip
As this product stands all I see is an expensive device for
causing electrical fires five or ten years after fitting.

Oooh this sounds so good I'll have two!

I thought that he missed out a lot by focusing on the elderly and infirm as
a market. I think he should have tried to market it as a solution to H&S
concerns over changing bulbs in small businesses, church halls and the like.
After all we all know the potential hassle that ladders involve in that sort
of enviroment.

That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard
(buildings burning down left, right and centre, leading to higher CO2
emissions and the crash of civilisation as we know it due to increased
global warming).

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:41:07 GMT, dave wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:45:16 GMT, "Blueyonder" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
Those Dragons Den people though, they are really sour, aren't they?

Ah - production values ;-) Have you noticed how every little expression is
slowed right down, to make it look like the Dragons are pulling faces all
the time? It is also difficult to tell whether the sour looks really do
happen when they are made to look like they do - the editting is clever, and
goes with the music to set the scene.

I agree with you. The cuts sometimes seem to relate to something else! There
seems to be an attempt to maximise the antagonism twixt Dragons and victim even
if this involves joining unrelated file sequences! Actually this programme seems
a "business" version of The Weakest Link". Viewers seem to enjoy seeing someone
getting the mickey taken out of them.

On the matter of VAT man. Imho he seemed (in fact almost said as much) that he
regarded or equated something called "risk" with delaying paying VAT! I mean he
seemed to misunderstand the use of the term "business risk".

And as for that Peter Jones bloke, I think the opening titles are cringe worthy
as far as he is concerned. Notice the way get almost gets into his executive
jet, then pauses, turns to pretend to look at something in the distance over his
shoulder (thus getting a neat profile to camera), then turns and enters the
aircraft. Yuk!

Have said all that I quite enjoy the programme :-)

I started off enjoying it, but that was really just because of its
novelty value in the beginning. The inventions are so often
ridiculous, and the candidates so obviously unprepared. Now all I
dream of is for another of these ******* to do a Rachel. Take 'em down
a peg, like.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:40:11 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Mark Spice wrote:
That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard

He should therefore send it to Two Jags suggesting the device be made
mandatory under Building Regulations Part P.

I still don't see what is wrong with a normal step ladder to change
the bulb.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , Mark Spice
writes
I thought that he missed out a lot by focusing on the elderly and
infirm as a market. I think he should have tried to market it as a
solution to H&S concerns over changing bulbs in small businesses,
church halls and the like. After all we all know the potential hassle
that ladders involve in that sort of enviroment.

As soon as I saw it I wanted 96 of them! The hassle caused by a simple
thing like changing bulbs is massive for landlords.

I dont think he focussed much on the new build, or refurb. market
either.

I was amazed that he didnt at least state that his market was actually
the whole market, in which 20 million, (or whatever the figure is), are
sold every year, and that he expected to convert 50% over a 5 year
period.

If I had a choice of £2 for a normal holder, and £8 for one of these, in
a one off situation, I would spend the £8 in B & Q.

At least this would have left it for one of the Dragons to either get
excited by the numbers, or to shoot him down, rather than shooting
himself in the foot from the start.

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

Mark Spice wrote:
That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard

He should therefore send it to Two Jags suggesting the device be made
mandatory under Building Regulations Part P.

I still don't see what is wrong with a normal step ladder to change
the bulb.

It's a ballsache getting the ladder out and putting it away, and there
is always a chance that you could fall off it.

In small houses and flats, there is no room for the ladders.

--
Richard Faulkner

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart

wrote:

Mark Spice wrote:
That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard

I still don't see what is wrong with a normal step ladder to change
the bulb.

I used to be nervous about man-handling aluminium step-ladders near
naked lit light-bulbs.

Burnt-out bulbs which look safe but could contain live parts are worse.
Is this fear justified?

Anyway by fitting 12000-hour bulbs you can forget about changing them
for a long time.

Bart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:04:02 +0000, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

Mark Spice wrote:
That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard

He should therefore send it to Two Jags suggesting the device be made
mandatory under Building Regulations Part P.

I still don't see what is wrong with a normal step ladder to change
the bulb.

It's a ballsache getting the ladder out and putting it away, and there
is always a chance that you could fall off it.

Oh, of course it's not a ballsache! It's no more of a chore than
getting out the boot polish things to clean one's shoes. Aluminium
ladders are as light as a feather. You only need a minimal height one
for the vast majority of bulbs.

In small houses and flats, there is no room for the ladders.

Of course there is! They don't rust, so they can be kept outside if
there's absolutely no room indoors. I'll bet there are *very few*
properties in Britain which are genuinely too small to store a small
collapsible step ladder somewhere.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

wrote:

Mark Spice wrote:
That said it does sound like they would avert a minor hazard (people
climbing on chairs etc to change bulbs) with a slightly higher hazard

..
I still don't see what is wrong with a normal step ladder to change
the bulb.

I used to be nervous about man-handling aluminium step-ladders near
naked lit light-bulbs.

Afraid of flashover, perhaps?

Burnt-out bulbs which look safe but could contain live parts are worse.
Is this fear justified?

No.

Anyway by fitting 12000-hour bulbs you can forget about changing them
for a long time.

But they look truly ugly.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bart C
writes

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On 17 Dec 2005 17:43:19 -0800, "Bart" wrote:

I used to be nervous about man-handling aluminium step-ladders near
naked lit light-bulbs.

Afraid of flashover, perhaps?

If the ladder breaks the bulb it can touch the live filament inside, while
I'm holding the other end..

.... And we might be saved more stupid posts

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart C

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Bart C
writes

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
On 17 Dec 2005 17:43:19 -0800, "Bart" wrote:

I used to be nervous about man-handling aluminium step-ladders near
naked lit light-bulbs.

Afraid of flashover, perhaps?

If the ladder breaks the bulb it can touch the live filament inside, while
I'm holding the other end..

... And we might be saved more stupid posts
geoff

MM suggests this would be safe ("Is this fear justified?" No) while your
reply implies otherwise.

Not very enlightening. I think I will take my own precautions, stupid or
not.

Bart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bart C
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Bart C
writes

"MM" wrote in message
On 17 Dec 2005 17:43:19 -0800, "Bart" wrote:

I used to be nervous about man-handling aluminium step-ladders near
naked lit light-bulbs.

Afraid of flashover, perhaps?

If the ladder breaks the bulb it can touch the live filament inside, while
I'm holding the other end..

... And we might be saved more stupid posts
geoff

MM suggests this would be safe ("Is this fear justified?" No) while your
reply implies otherwise.

It implied nothing of the sort

just hope

The whole concept of being electrocuted by an aluminium ladder shorting
to a light fitting is so ludicrous that I'd want it to happen, just to
prove me wrong

Not very enlightening. I think I will take my own precautions, stupid or
not.

Bart

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gogs

Aluninium ladders may well be light but try telling that to someone who
is not a fan of using one, ie an OAP with bad hips.

There are many households that dont have any form of securing stuff
outdoors ie Shed of some description, so how long would it take for it
to vanish

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart C

"raden" wrote in message

The whole concept of being electrocuted by an aluminium ladder shorting to
a light fitting is so ludicrous that I'd want it to happen, just to prove
me wrong

I don't think it's ludicrous. While a momentary jolt of 240VAC may not be
fatal, it might be a nasty shock. I've had plenty (at 120V) to know what
it's like. (Not from ladders admittedly.)

Bart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bart C
writes

"raden" wrote in message

The whole concept of being electrocuted by an aluminium ladder shorting to
a light fitting is so ludicrous that I'd want it to happen, just to prove
me wrong

I don't think it's ludicrous. While a momentary jolt of 240VAC may not be
fatal, it might be a nasty shock. I've had plenty (at 120V) to know what
it's like. (Not from ladders admittedly.)

Keep me posted

I eagerly wait a new entry to the Darwin awards

you seem to have a track record which makes you an ideal candidate

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 18 Dec 2005 17:13:11 -0800, "Gogs"
wrote:

Aluninium ladders may well be light but try telling that to someone who
is not a fan of using one, ie an OAP with bad hips.

There are many households that dont have any form of securing stuff
outdoors ie Shed of some description, so how long would it take for it
to vanish

So instead of a simple solution that costs £20 down at B&Q and lasts
for decades you would prefer to equip every ceiling socket in the
property with one of these "pull down" types, yes? Which themselves
will probably only last a few years at best.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gogs

Yes its not a problem to tom, dick and harry.....and Joe bloggs.

But what about the OAP with bad hips for example who can hardly bend
down, let alone get out the power drill and start fixing eyebolts.

If the person is fine with drilling concrete then there is a very good
chance they have no qualms when it comes to going up a ladder and
changing bulbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gogs

Ah so you get the point, the OAP that wont want a ladder, well they
probably wont want to change a bulb, so any idea that would help them
not to need to stand on a stool/steps or a ladder would be a good thing.