Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

Default WTB: "Intelligent" battery charger

I use a lot of NiMH batteries in various devices (AA/AAA)

I'm told it is possible to purchase "intelligent" battery chargers....ie a
charger that allows you to leave the batteries in the charger, and they will
be "topped up" from time to time, WITHOUT overcharging.

Does anyone have experience of such devices? I've checked out Comet, Currys
and Maplin and have not been able to find any charger claiming any degree of
"intelligence".

Do these things really exist?

David.

ps apologies for the overuse of *charg* in the above post

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

Default "Intelligent" battery charger

"vortex2" wrote in message
I use a lot of NiMH batteries in various devices (AA/AAA)

I'm told it is possible to purchase "intelligent" battery chargers....ie a
charger that allows you to leave the batteries in the charger, and they
will be "topped up" from time to time, WITHOUT overcharging.

Does anyone have experience of such devices? I've checked out Comet,
Currys and Maplin and have not been able to find any charger claiming any
degree of "intelligence".

Do these things really exist?

David.

ps apologies for the overuse of *charg* in the above post

OK, I just answered my own question. [Should have Googled for longer]:

http://www.digibattery.co.uk/nimh_charger_faqs.html#50

I need a charger with Delta V or Delta T control.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

vortex2 wrote:
I use a lot of NiMH batteries in various devices (AA/AAA)

I'm told it is possible to purchase "intelligent" battery chargers....ie a
charger that allows you to leave the batteries in the charger, and they will
be "topped up" from time to time, WITHOUT overcharging.

Does anyone have experience of such devices? I've checked out Comet, Currys
and Maplin and have not been able to find any charger claiming any degree of
"intelligence".

Do these things really exist?

David.

I've just purchased such a device from 7dayshop.com which claims as
such. It's called a 'Speedy Box' and made by a company called vanson but
branded as 7dayshop. Currently about £15 inc delivery. Early days as
yet, but seems quite well built - I'm using it to charge VapexTech
4000mAH C cells for a radio rig that uses 8 of them so I might well be
buying another one, hence don't all rush in your orders now... ;-)

Copes with 4 of AAA,AA,C,D or 2 of 9V and will charge Ni-MH/Nicad cells
upto 9000mAH. 'Constant pulse current' is 700mA for AA cells and larger,
then when detected as charged (delta V method) the trickle charge is a
tenth of that (70mA).

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

David.

I've just purchased such a device from 7dayshop.com which claims as such.
It's called a 'Speedy Box' and made by a company called vanson but branded
as 7dayshop. Currently about £15 inc delivery. Early days as yet, but
seems quite well built - I'm using it to charge VapexTech 4000mAH C cells
for a radio rig that uses 8 of them so I might well be buying another one,
hence don't all rush in your orders now... ;-)

Copes with 4 of AAA,AA,C,D or 2 of 9V and will charge Ni-MH/Nicad cells
upto 9000mAH. 'Constant pulse current' is 700mA for AA cells and larger,
then when detected as charged (delta V method) the trickle charge is a
tenth of that (70mA).

--
Adrian C

This one I assume:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=100598

Looks like the "danglies" to me. If noone suggests anything better in the
mean time I will order this time tomorrow.

David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Adrian C wrote:
vortex2 wrote:

[...]

I've had one for years from Innovations. Charges everything, including
non-rechargeables, though sometimes fails to cope with the weakest of a
set of 4 batteries: a brief shot in a conventional charger soon sorts
that out. If the 7dayshop one is as good it's a snip at £15.
Douglas de Lacey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:49:41 -0000, "vortex2"
wrote:

| "vortex2" wrote in message
| I use a lot of NiMH batteries in various devices (AA/AAA)
|
| I'm told it is possible to purchase "intelligent" battery chargers....ie a
| charger that allows you to leave the batteries in the charger, and they
| will be "topped up" from time to time, WITHOUT overcharging.
|
| Does anyone have experience of such devices? I've checked out Comet,
| Currys and Maplin and have not been able to find any charger claimingany
| degree of "intelligence".
|
| Do these things really exist?
|
| David.
|
| ps apologies for the overuse of *charg* in the above post
|

| OK, I just answered my own question. [Should have Googled for longer]:
|
| http://www.digibattery.co.uk/nimh_charger_faqs.html#50
|
| I need a charger with Delta V or Delta T control.

Maha IME works fine, charges each of 4 AA or AAA individually and
stops charging each when full
http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/acatalog/c4011fw.html
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?